Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-18-2003, 06:10 PM
Ledgie

Default Fleetwood Mac/French and Saunders

About 10 years ago, I remember seeing a re-run of French and Saunders on Comedy Central (for those who dont know, it was the pre-curser to Absolutely Fabulous). This episode has a small segment with Jennifer Saunders and Dawn French portraying tthe Mac. Does anyone else remember this? Or know where there are screenshots or anything about this? I'm searched out.

I clearly remember Dawn French in a top hat and looking dazed singing either "Dreams" or "Rhiannon". Jennifer Saunders played Christine McVie I think, and i only remember her rolling her eyes at stevie. it was very funny.... does anyone remember this???

or am i off my rocker?

p.s. anyone else in DE,PA,MD,NJ feeling Isabel yet?? its crazy at U of DE.
Old 09-18-2003, 06:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wasn't that eppy released on the French and Saunders video collection? I coulda sworn it was... Ah, off to check my tapes! I absolutely LOVE French and Saunders. Loved their take on Thelma and Louise.

Old 09-18-2003, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I LMAO when I saw it. It was about 6 or so years ago.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 09-18-2003, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Yeah, I saw that F&S when it was on in the UK (when I was there), must of been '93 though it could've been a rerun (therefore having an earlier original air date).

Yeah, it was funny!

They were going for the "Rumours" era look (a la Paris soundcheck "Dreams" & "Don't stop" footage) and had the "Lindsey" (not sure who he actually was though) complete with Jeff Lynne fro/beard, white Les Paul guitar & suit (think ELO's "Turn to stone" video) and you could see "Christine" (JS, probably during that "roll eyes" part) fall down in the background (when Dawn was doing the Stevie bit) presumably from the very noticably large empty bottle of wine on the keyboard.

John
Old 09-18-2003, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That was so hilarious. I remember Dawn French singing:"It doesn't mean anything, I'm just singing".... hahahaha and JS waving her arms in the background, like:"Hey, I'm up here too, you know". And the guy who did John, was sleeping LMAO. I have it on tape somewhere.
Thanks for bringing it up, I'm gonna watch that once again. It's a great parody.
Debbie

You got a sweet heart
Never will you be replaced
Old 09-18-2003, 09:18 PM
Ledgie

omg you guys are great!!! im so glad i didnt dream it up. i have 2 dvd compilations, but they dont have the mac skit.

anyone know which one it might be on??

you guys rock, it made my hurricane-tainted night so much better!!!!

Old 09-19-2003, 10:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Oh My GOD!!!

I LOVE French and Saunders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had no idea that they did a Mac parody. PLEASE PLEASE, if someone has it, pm me or email at ravenofrhiannon@yahoo.com so we can work out a trade or somethin'

Randy
Old 09-19-2003, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ha ha!

i remember john falling in sleep playing his bass, too, Debbie! Hilarious. If i remember well, they did not "cover" a macsong, but made a "Macish"-sounding tune with a "Stevie-sounding" lyric, with all the "Stevie-keywords" in it. Maybe that one was written by darklinensuit?

Toptelevision. I nearly wetted my pants laughing that night. (I think it is longer ago than 6 years...but hey, my memory's not exactly made of concrete )

gerald

Old 09-19-2003, 09:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You're right, Gerald. It wasn't a Mac cover, just something they made up with all the right words. It was great. You wetted your pants as well??? That must explain the flood we had LOL.
I also think it was longer than six years ago. I think it was like 92 or something but my memory plays tricks on me as well LOL.
Debbie

You got a sweet heart
Never will you be replaced
Old 09-20-2003, 01:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default French and Saunders

are the cream of British comedy HUGE talents.....

However minor correction......F&S was not really a precursor to Ab Fab.....Totally seperate entity. This was entirely a Jennifer Saunders prodcution that saw the greatest use of British comedy actors. Totally Brilliant!! Pats is my alter ego.....LOL!! French and Saunders are still around they do mostly write one off shows now and are involved with other projects too as individuals.

However going back to the F&S skit, I think my sister has a copy of this on video...I will check it out and let you all know for sure for those who want it.

Last edited by highpriestess53; 09-20-2003 at 01:29 AM..
Old 09-20-2003, 10:30 AM
Ledgie

that is correct, but the very first abfab sketch was introduced on french and saunders, and dawn french was a guest i think on the second season playing a morning tv host.

the first abfab skit was hillarious with dawn playing safi and jennifer playing edina WITH a fanny pack i might add!

good call though.

patsy is probably the funniest character i have seen on tv in a long time... actually patsy, bubble and edina all are three ridiculously funny characters.

oooppps is this off topic??

Old 09-20-2003, 11:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by goyourownway
that is correct, but the very first abfab sketch was introduced on french and saunders, and dawn french was a guest i think on the second season playing a morning tv host.

the first abfab skit was hillarious with dawn playing safi and jennifer playing edina WITH a fanny pack i might add!

good call though.

patsy is probably the funniest character i have seen on tv in a long time... actually patsy, bubble and edina all are three ridiculously funny characters.

oooppps is this off topic??

The actress Joanna Lumley was a very good straight actress with an action girl thing going on (see Sapphire and Steel)is very British indeed and an allround good egg.
She has made a great transition into comedy as Patsy. Patsy is wonderfully vulgar....believe it or not Ab Fab is a send up of real life in the upper echelons of British society particularly of the nouveau riche class.....sad huh? BUT it makes great comedy.
Old 09-20-2003, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Franch and Saunders as well.

They did a hilarious skit ( Rowan Atkins (sp) was in it too: Mr Bean) on ABBA too --they did Winner Takes it All I think??

But it was really funny.

I would die to see the FM skit. Im sure they hit it right on the nose!!!

ABFAB is a great show. I really like the actors. They did another show after that ( Mirrorball I think, I totally can't remember) but after doing it , even though it was completely different from ABFAB, they did another season ( a good season at that)

But I could use some more AbFab!!

Old 09-20-2003, 02:36 PM
Ledgie

there is going to be a fifth season of abfab, its supposed to begin in the fall.... so any day now i guess?? anyone in the uk know about this?? the abfab page on the bbc website has edina and pats standing in front of a giant hummer, and the description... oh hell ill just copy and paste it...

this is part one- prior to the news about season 5 from bbc.co.uk

30.07.2003: The Story of Absolutely Fabulous
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Documentry planned for Autumn 2003.
The Story Of Absolutely Fabulous is the definitive account of one of British comedy’s most successful sitcoms. The programme answers burning questions such as: was Patsy once a man? Why was Joanna Lumley nearly put off taking the role of Patsy? Who was originally going to play Saffy? And what do Marisa Berensen, Jennifer Saunders and Lynne Franks all have in common?

"the programme features behind-the-scenes footage and drunken outtakes"

From how it came into being to how it manages to stay at the top of its game, this entertaining and engaging documentary follows the antics of the Ab Fab crew, namely Jennifer Saunders, Joanna Lumley, Julia Sawalha and June Whitfield. It also sheds light on some of comedy’s most far-out characters. Featuring behind-the-scenes footage and drunken outtakes, The Story Of Absolutely Fabulous is everything you need to know... and a little bit more.

AND also from bbc.co.uk

Series 5 is coming. You thought it would never happen but darlings it's on its way! A brand new series has just finished recording at London's Television Centre and will be on your screens in the Autumn

Saffy returns having been away for several months. Edina has been coping on her own but without Saffy's watchful eye, work has fallen low on her list of priorities and the house has seen tidier days - after all there is just so much shopping to do. Edina's now a CPR - celebrity PR and Patsy continues to work at Jeremy's - a new concept fashion store - but wants Eddy to get her work as a celebrity stylist.

Guest stars are rumoured to include Elton John and Emma Bunton.

sorry... off topic... i hope someone of you fellow abfab fanatics enjoy this:-) i know i did.

to see the pic- http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/abfab/va...s5/index.shtml