Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Going Their Own Way (Sunday Times, 24th May)

I am bracing myself for the comments this will cause.... They caught someone on a bad day, lol.

Thanks for the full article, Neil. http://fleetwoodmac-uk.com/wp/going-...-sunday-times/

Going their own way | The Sunday Times

Dan Cairns
Published: 24 May 2015

Reunited for a mammoth tour, Fleetwood Mac are now planning an album. But for all their attempts to put on a show, they are still riven by backstage tensions

Return of the Mac: from left, John and Christine McVie, Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham and Mick Fleetwood (Al Pereira )

Forty years after the line-up that conquered the world with Rumours first came together, Fleetwood Mac are still having problems agreeing on anything much. The return to the fold 16 months ago of Christine McVie, after an absence of 16 years, is one development they all speak positively about, with none of the usual caveats and festering agendas.

“There’s Stevie on one side of the spectrum,” says Lindsey Buckingham, the band’s coiled, restless, 65-year-old musical director and, what seems like a lifetime ago, Stevie Nicks’s boyfriend, “and me kind of on the other, in terms of sensibilities. Christine sort of bridges that gap.”

Where Buckingham talks in the clinical manner of a scientist, Nicks dives right in. “Christine’s coming back was like the return of my best friend after years away. It’s much more fun now. We were always a force to be reckoned with, and that’s happened again.”

For McVie, 71, having emerged from what she describes as years of isolation in a remote Kent farmhouse, years of “mud, and grey days, where your life is dark, your heart is dark, your brain is dark”, rejoining the band “feels like a resurrection. I feel confident again, self-assured, I know I can put my fingers on a piano and play, I can write again, I can sing.”

And Mick Fleetwood, aged 67, gentle giant, drummer, court jester and the band’s unofficial manager and cajoler-in-chief, is characteristically gung-ho.

“It’s been an enormous benefit. I turn round every night during the shows, when Stevie’s doing her Gypsy intro, which sometimes goes on a little long, and there’s John and Christine chatting away, sitting on an amp. And I sit there and think, ‘How cool is that?’ I’ve asked them, ‘What are you talking about?’ and they say, ‘Oh, you know, we’re just catching up on stuff.’ It’s the sweetest thing.”

The band, whose European tour begins in London on Wednesday, have just completed an 81-date run around North America, and there are signs of wear and tear. Holding court at various locations in Santa Monica, the Mac — save for Christine’s ex-husband, the bass player John McVie, 69, who is currently in remission from cancer and rarely grants an interview at the best of times — accentuate the positives, but cannot quite eliminate the negatives. This is the latest stage in a journey, or saga, that has always been as riveting for its off-stage shenanigans as it has been for the music that has soundtracked the lives of successive generations.

Nicks, sitting in her vast apartment, its wraparound, floor-to-ceiling windows making you feel as if you are suspended above the ocean, seems the most conflicted and ambivalent. Buckingham, by telephone, exudes a serenity you sense is hard won and, by all accounts, paper-thin. McVie talks like a lovable, slightly dotty aunt, words tumbling over themselves, candour suddenly rearing up and slapping you in the face.

Then there’s Fleetwood, resplendent in various shades of aquamarine, charms, chains and bangles rattling from wrist and neck, who goes back down memory lane to early-1960s Notting Hill, hanging out as a teen in coffee bars and flirting with the girl who would become his first wife; and, later, fights tears while talking about the recent death of his mother, and his plans to walk Hadrian’s Wall in her memory.

“I was telling Lindsey about that the other day,” he says, “and he went, ‘Oh, you and your rose-tinted spectacles.’ I said, ‘Well, look where they’ve got all of us. You should trying wearing them yourself some time.’”

If the two McVies are now friends again, and Fleetwood still adept at playing the role of peacemaker, the relationship between Buckingham and Nicks seems as dysfunctional as ever. Most bands, with a tour raking it in and a new album in the planning stages, would, you feel, have a fairly clear idea of how the near future was going to pan out. Yet that mooted album — their first in the classic line-up since Tango in the Night in 1987; Buckingham and Christine McVie have collaborated on seven songs — already sounds fraught with some of the same old problems.

“Chris’s return has been a huge help for some of the things that Stevie and Lindsey continue to go through,” says Fleetwood, with a hint of exasperation, “in terms of … well, it’s a form of button-pushing, about which Christine would say, ‘This should long since have been over.’”

Buckingham sounds wary when the album comes up. “We had planned on reconvening at the start of next year, but, again, there is the politics. Stevie has not involved herself in it, and has not committed to involving herself in it either, so that’s something we’re working on.”

Nicks, 67 on Tuesday, doesn’t even try to hide her fatigue. “Tomorrow will be show 79, and then we come to you, and then we go to Australia. Three solid years of Fleetwood Mac. When that’s done, I’m done. I’m done. I’m taking a long vacation. I’ve bought a little house on the other side of Malibu, I’ve owned it since March last year and I have three chairs in the living room, and that’s it. I’ve spent five days there in a year. People keep saying, ‘How’s the new house?’ I don’t know, I haven’t been there. I need a break.

“Maybe I shouldn’t be saying this in an interview, but I don’t really care. I have done my best, every single night, to go out there and be my best, and not be upset about the fact that we are doing 80 shows instead of 60, and then going straight to Europe and doing 27 shows instead of 17.”

Isn’t she keen, though, to have her own material represented on the new album? “I don’t know how I really feel about that. I’m not in a good place right now to make decisions. We are on the road, and in my opinion we should not be thinking past that. We’re a strange band of bandits and gypsies, travelling as part of this huge machine. This tour would never have happened if Chris hadn’t come back.”

Christine McVie admits to some bemusement about the continuing discord between the band’s Californian contingent. She describes the appeal of returning to the band as one of “chemistry, simple chemistry. I’m drawn to these four people. How can you not love Mick? He’s bold, eccentric, arrogant, pompous, vulnerable, warm and sweet. Lindsey is another type of character altogether. He has the darkest, most caustic sense of humour ever. He really makes me laugh, but he can also be so twitchy and edgy; you know, ‘Keep away.’ He’s always crossing his arms, his legs. And you just think, ‘Relax.’ He and Stevie don’t get on. On stage, they act. Privately, no.

“John and I genuinely have a friendship, I love Mick, and I love both of them. But it’s like putting a wet hand in a plug socket, it’s an electric shock every time. Who knows how long it will last? The idea is to try to finish the album, and then tour it. But Stevie says: ‘You’ve just had 16 years off. Now it’s my turn.’”

For McVie, her return was worth it, no matter the bickering that continues to coexist with some sublime live performances (for all that, the one I watched in Los Angeles was pretty lacklustre and flat). Anything’s better than that Kent fastness, she says.

“I was living in this sprawling wasteland, in the middle of 50 acres of farmland. It’s a lovely place, but it’s too isolated, and I think that’s what drove me into this slow decline; the dogs and the wellington boots and the Land Rover, the idea that you’re going to bake cookies in the Aga. And you don’t. You just get depressed. I tried writing songs again, and nothing came, nothing. I was there, in the middle of acres of greenery and sheep, and totally alone.”

Nicks, clearly ready for that (long) vacation, says she still finds herself having to talk about the band’s 1970s heyday, the busted relationships, the drink and the drugs, the wounds that, in some cases, never quite seem to heal. “And I don’t enjoy going back to that time, because it’s not who I wish that I had been. I wish that I’d been less f*****-up and less drugged-out. Done a little bit less coke, drunk a little less, smoked a little less pot. I don’t feel romantic about it at all. People like hearing about it, but it wasn’t their journey, it was mine. I was young and beautiful and just so super-unattractive.”

Of the Buckingham-Nicks relationship, Fleetwood speculates: “On some level they must be addicted to it, to something — to love, probably. It’s strange when you’re a friend to both parties, and I do sometimes get drawn in, but you don’t want to be like the messenger in El Cid, bringing in the head. I want them to be sitting on an amp, like John and Chris. I don’t think it will ever happen, but I don’t know that for sure.” He pauses, to relocate a more positive thread.

“Look, this is one hell of a thing, not all of it is ever going to be 100% happy, but it’s one hell of a weird, wonderful thing. And if it were a book, you’d want it to end like this.”

Key songs on Rumours
You Make Loving Fun
Go Your Own Way
Don’t stop
Dreams
Songbird

Fleetwood Mac’s tour begins on Wednesday at the O2, London SE10

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 05-24-2015, 07:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
Buckingham sounds wary when the album comes up. “We had planned on reconvening at the start of next year, but, again, there is the politics. Stevie has not involved herself in it, and has not committed to involving herself in it either, so that’s something we’re working on.”
there you go. he couldn't have said it more clear, for all the people who were trying to keep closing their eyes to this reality and read something into his previous quotes that wasn't there.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-24-2015, 07:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Good article.
Stevie is being a bit bad. I could never EVER see Stevie not recording the new album. She has stayed with the Mac when Lindsey left, when Christine left, etc. One last album would be so strange without her.
That insane road tour is finally wearing on them. When they are finally done in a few months, they can relax and work on the album at their leisure.
Stevie and Lindsey not getting along? What else is new? In Miami during her Gypsy intro that did run long, Stevie was talking how she was on the road with CCR and the car broke down. Lindsey made his guitar sound like a car horn. Stevie stopped, looked over and Lindsey and said VERY seriously......"did you just do that? What did you do that? I guess I am boring all of you."
That night in Miami Stevie did not come out to give her speech
Old 05-24-2015, 08:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
I am bracing myself for the comments this will cause.... They caught someone on a bad day, lol.

Thanks for the full article, Neil. http://fleetwoodmac-uk.com/wp/going-...-sunday-times/
Pleasure, glad we can all read this interview

http://stillgoinginsane.fleetwoodmac-uk.com
Still Going Insane - A Lindsey Buckingham Resource
Old 05-24-2015, 08:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

She will bow in, in time. Lindsey has apart from the seven songs with Chris, at least three quarters of a soloalbum ready, he can work that in between.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
She will bow in, in time. Lindsey has apart from the seven songs with Chris, at least three quarters of a soloalbum ready, he can work that in between.
I really hope he does - put solo album out next year and tour it, while sn is taking her time off, resting from fm and making up her mind about participating in fm album the rest of them have been working on.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-24-2015, 09:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh, please. This is so easy to solve. The four of them just need to go in the studio and say to Stevie: "we're recording the album now, come along if you'd like, but if you don't feel up to it we'll finish it up without you."

She'll think they're bluffing. But then the four of them release two songs as a "preview" of the album. When she sees they're actually recording and making concrete plans to release the album without her, she'll be in the studio with her tail between her legs spouting some sort of face-saving nonsense about the stars aligning.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Reading this article I couldn't help but picture Stevie as some kind of Scooby-Doo villain... "And I would have gotten my vacation, if it weren't for Christine and her meddling comeback!"
Old 05-24-2015, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Sounds like nothing has changed in the last 6 months; she isn't a happy bunny.
A very honest interview- things must be a bit strained to be so open.

I feel resigned to the older material now being on a Lindsey Buckingham solo album- but it would be an opportunity missed. In some respects that would be good as he could start afresh preparing new songs for the band in the knowledge both Stevie (hopefully) and Christine would be involved at a later time.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
Reading this article I couldn't help but picture Stevie as some kind of Scooby-Doo villain... "And I would have gotten my vacation, if it weren't for Christine and her meddling comeback!"
She said the tour wouldn't have happened if Chris hadn't come back, not a missed vacation.
She likely would have toured solo for 24k if not for Chris' return. Stevie's gotten pretty outspoken lately, and I'm ok with that. I just wish she'd make a decision once and for all.

Jamie
Old 05-24-2015, 12:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
Oh, please. This is so easy to solve. The four of them just need to go in the studio and say to Stevie: "we're recording the album now, come along if you'd like, but if you don't feel up to it we'll finish it up without you."

She'll think they're bluffing. But then the four of them release two songs as a "preview" of the album. When she sees they're actually recording and making concrete plans to release the album without her, she'll be in the studio with her tail between her legs spouting some sort of face-saving nonsense about the stars aligning.
Who the hell is she to hold them hostage(which she's trying to do!)?

To hell with her. They should go in without her. Either she shows up, or she doesn't. I'd prefer the latter.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Who the hell is she to hold them hostage(which she's trying to do!)?

To hell with her. They should go in without her. Either she shows up, or she doesn't. I'd prefer the latter.
Me too.

#FreeStevie
Old 05-24-2015, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

F U Stevie for not wanting to make the album after finally getting Chris back.
FU Lindsey for not trying to maybe be a little nicer to her.
FU Mick for (yes Ill blame him) adding those 40 some odd shows. Did you really need to?

This was just a cash grab tour and I'm done with them. Of course the whole Stevie and Lindsey drama (we are getting along now, no we aren't) is an act to draw us in to by more tickets to the tour.
Most unhappy with Stevie (used to love her, don't even like her anymore) but Mick and Lindsey deserve some of my anger too. I'M DONE!!!!
Old 05-24-2015, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
there you go. he couldn't have said it more clear, for all the people who were trying to keep closing their eyes to this reality and read something into his previous quotes that wasn't there.
Oh, no, Elle. Even though Stevie said it too. It's all a big charade to sell more albums.

Michele
Old 05-24-2015, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not sure what walking Hadrian's Wall has to do with rose-colored glasses, but anyway, don't do it Mick. The wall is not stable.

Michele