The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 04-10-2015, 07:59 PM
michelej1 michelej1 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 24,625
Default

I should also add that Lindsey has said that he wasn't as much into cocaine as others. He just didn't say it in the context of why he left in 1987.

But yeah he's said it. He said he never bought cocaine himself, because it was too expensive. He said that he liked marijuana.

Mick and Stevie have also said that Lindsey didn't do cocaine as much as the rest of them.

Lindsey certainly admits to doing some drugs, though. In his solo shows he has long joked with Neale and Brett about not remembering much of the past, because they were all hurting themselves back then.

Michele
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-10-2015, 09:57 PM
secondhandchain secondhandchain is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: LOS ANGELES, CA
Posts: 865
Default

The album is pretty good. The song Behind the Mask is VERY good, and could have been on any previous FM album.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-10-2015, 10:42 PM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,682
Default

This album proved that Lindsey really was responsible for Fleetwood Macs success.The album was horrible and only managed to go platinum because it came after Tango In The Night.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-11-2015, 01:23 AM
jools jools is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bristol
Posts: 71
Default

In my opinion Behind The Mask could have been much better ( on hearing the demos and outtakes for the period)

But saying that the following songs i think are great

"In the Back of My Mind"
"Skies the Limit"
"Save Me"
"Behind the Mask"
"Love Is Dangerous"
"Do You Know"

But the "Behind The Mask" tour was excellent
Because of Rick & Billy, FM decided to play some of the early FM music

Far Superior to ny tour FM have done since
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 02:34 AM
PenguinHead
This message has been deleted by PenguinHead.
  #20  
Old 04-11-2015, 02:43 AM
michelej1 michelej1 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 24,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Then they come with a cover that inexplicably features an anonymous group of people that most of us would initially assume to be a picture of the band.
Yes, that cover photo was crazy. Why do a representative photo of the band?? It was like they had something to hide. I mean, I just ... We aren't putting the real band on the cover, because we don't really want you to know what they look like. We'll just show their essence.


Michele
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-11-2015, 03:13 AM
PenguinHead's Avatar
PenguinHead PenguinHead is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4,471
Default

I'm not in love with Behind the Mask, but I like it. It would have been better if Stevie's songs were stronger. Like many of their albums circa 1970-1974, this was a a band in transition.

The cover art was such a miscalculation. It was enough of a disorientation that Lindsey had been replaced with two newcomers. Then they come with a cover that inexplicably features an anonymous group of people that most of us would initially assume to be a picture of the band.
__________________
Life passes before me like an unknown circumstance
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-11-2015, 04:59 AM
FuzzyPlum FuzzyPlum is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,185
Default

I've now given BTM a few plays through and really feel its aged quite well- unfortunately its still just too incohesive. I also don't think they made enough of Stevie- on an album missing Lindsey they should have given much more prominence to her backing vocals on the non-Stevie Nicks songs.

Love Is Dangerous seems to be getting quite a bit of love. I don't get it- for me its just poor.
However, Do You Know and When It Comes To Love are pretty damned good and could have been singles. Hard Feelings is decent too. Billy and Christine's voices work really well together. I'd take an album from just Christine, Billy, Mick and John.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-11-2015, 06:33 AM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere out in the back of your mind
Posts: 1,840
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Yes, that's my point. Stevie said that she was on drugs at the time. My comment was that you are wrong about Lindsey citing Mick or Stevie's substance abuse as the reason he left the band. He never did. Nor did he talk about their personal vices. When he talked about band craziness, it was always in the context of all 5 of them and the way they were interacting.

And since 1997 he has talked about his own demons as reasons why he needed to leave the band. He even said he left and went into therapy.

As for his bashing BTM, there are no interviews in which he did that, except the one where he boasted it took two guitarists to replace him.

But Christine is the one who said that Mick should have gone another route (instead of Dave Mason) instead of trying to fix a broken vase. Lindsey didn't talk about Behind the Mask being destined to failure. He did put down the nostalgia tour with Pat Benatar a few years later though. He said that was sad. He didn't say that about BTM. When he talked about appearing on stage with BTM he said it was easy for him because all he had to do was come out and play GYOW and that was sure to go over well, but he didn't say anything else about BTM, the album or the tour. In fact, he said he didn't watch their live show, even when he was backstage.

I don't disagree with you that Lindsey talks in code sometimes, but I don't think there are any interviews or quotes that suggest he was telling the press "Oh, Mick and Stevie's drug abuse force me out." That's why they said he left. He didn't say that's why. He cited mostly creative reasons for leaving and, in his Say Goodbye discussions, said that he couldn't get over Stevie while he was still in the band with her, again freely admitting he had his own demons to deal with.

Michele
Last night I went to youtube to check out Lindsey's Wrong video. The song is about his bitter leaving Fleetwood Mac almost making it look like he was being forced to perform or something. But there is a quick scene of him in a bathroom chugging what looks like a prescription pill bottle. I want to know is this him or is this a swipe at Stevie. The Piggy in the middle and Piggy on the cover line is classic. More code language to think of the excesses a pig enjoys.
Back to my original point... I would love a candid interview with Lindsey someday

There are some great songs on BTM
A little known fact that I learned listening to Dick Clark's countdown in 1990 when Skies the Limit was on the Adult contemporary charts was the song was a last minute addition to the album. The album was finished and Christine thought the album sounded too dark. It lacked one of her peppy love songs. So she quickly wrote Skies the Limit and made it a first cut on the album.
I would say half the songs on the album are good to very good. Some of the songs like Hard Feelings by Billy is pretty bad IMHO.
My favorites are:
Skies the Limit
Back of my Mind
When it comes to Love
Behind the Mask
Freedom
Save Me
Love is Dangerous

I don't like Hard Feelings or Affairs of the Heart. Affairs of the Heart almost seems like a demo IMHO. Very little on the creative side too. Stand on the Rock and Do you know are ok. The album only hit #18 on the US charts but went to #1 in the UK. That is interesting. Rolling Stone raved about the album giving it 4/5 stars and stating Rick and Billy were the best thing that ever happened to Fleetwood Mac. While other critics did not have good things to say.

Last edited by Macfan4life : 04-11-2015 at 07:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-11-2015, 07:36 AM
FuzzyPlum FuzzyPlum is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Last night I went to youtube to check out Lindsey's Wrong video. The song is about his bitter leaving Fleetwood Mac almost making it look like he was being forced to perform or something. But there is a quick scene of him in a bathroom chugging what looks like a prescription pill bottle. I want to know is this him or is this a swipe at Stevie. The Piggy in the middle and Piggy on the cover line is classic. More code language to think of the excesses a pig enjoys.
Back to my original point... I would love a candid interview with Lindsey someday

There are some great songs on BTM
A little known fact that I learned listening to Dick Clark's countdown in 1990 when Skies the Limit was on the Adult contemporary charts was the song was a last minute addition to the album. The album was finished and Christine thought the album sounded too dark. It lacked one of her peppy love songs. So she quickly wrote Skies the Limit and made it a first cut on the album.
I would say half the songs on the album are good to very good. Some of the songs like Hard Feelings by Billy is pretty bad IMHO.
My favorites are:
Skies the Limit
Back of my Mind
When it comes to Love
Behind the Mask
Freedom
Save Me
Love is Dangerous

I don't like Hard Feelings or Affairs of the Heart. Affairs of the Heart almost seems like a demo IMHO. Very little on the creative side too. Stand on the Rock and Do you know are ok. The album only hit #18 on the US charts but went to #1 in the UK. That is interesting. Rolling Stone raved about the album giving it 4/5 stars and stating Rick and Billy were the best thing that ever happened to Fleetwood Mac. While other critics did not have good things to say.
The actual demo of Affairs of the Heart is much, much better than the actual version that made it onto the album- much edgier;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x34B71_sVsM

Behind The Mask did make #1 in the UK but that was almost entirely down to the phenomenal success of Tango In The Night. I bet the Rolling Stone journalist would love to take that comment back if given the chance- its been quoted so many times since then.
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:47 AM
SisterNightroad
This message has been deleted by SisterNightroad.
  #25  
Old 04-11-2015, 08:30 AM
AncientQueen AncientQueen is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Germany
Posts: 336
Default

Back then, I liked BTM alot more than TITN, which I violently hated from day one. Good laid back, down to earth production, the songs are great, good or at least tolerable and even the Stevie songs are decent. Today, I would rather hear BTN for 24 straight hours then to endure hearing "Mystified" again for once.

Compared to other FM albums, BTM is still in the middle field - not an album that would draw me to become a fan, but nothing offputting either.
Favorites: "Save me", "Freedom" and "Do you know" and the Title track.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-11-2015, 09:20 AM
MikeInNV MikeInNV is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I've now given BTM a few plays through and really feel its aged quite well- unfortunately its still just too incohesive. I also don't think they made enough of Stevie- on an album missing Lindsey they should have given much more prominence to her backing vocals on the non-Stevie Nicks songs.

Love Is Dangerous seems to be getting quite a bit of love. I don't get it- for me its just poor.
However, Do You Know and When It Comes To Love are pretty damned good and could have been singles. Hard Feelings is decent too. Billy and Christine's voices work really well together. I'd take an album from just Christine, Billy, Mick and John.
Really? I feel like I hear her much more on BTM than Tango or Mirage.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-11-2015, 09:55 AM
Richard B Richard B is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 3,110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Yes, that cover photo was crazy. Why do a representative photo of the band?? It was like they had something to hide. I mean, I just ... We aren't putting the real band on the cover, because we don't really want you to know what they look like. We'll just show their essence.
"Behind The Mask"
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-11-2015, 10:04 AM
FuzzyPlum FuzzyPlum is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
Really? I feel like I hear her much more on BTM than Tango or Mirage.
Don't get me wrong- its not as if she's not on there. I just think it would have eased the transition more had she been even more audible across even more songs.
Her voice was completely absent from the majority of the songs she didn't write.
She can be heard a little bit in the coda of Save Me and she has a small bit in When the Sun Goes Down.
She only really has any prominence on Skies the Limit and In the Back of My Mind.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-11-2015, 10:54 AM
KenB KenB is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 223
Default

Here's how BTM stacks up for me.

Very good tracks:
When The Sun Goes Down
Love Is Dangerous
Behind The Mask

Fair-to-decent tracks:
Skies The Limit
Affairs Of The Heart

Poor tracks:
Save Me
Do You Know
Hard Feelings

Atrocious tracks:
Stand On The Rock
When It Comes To Love
In The Back Of My Mind
Freedom
The Second Time

Overall, not a great album. I like When The Sun Goes Down so much because, to my ears, it has a rather Lindsey-esque production.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-11-2015, 12:13 PM
pattyfan pattyfan is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 645
Default

It's the English teacher in me, but I cringe every time I see Sky's the Limit written Skies the Limit. I just can't believe that no one involved with that CD ever caught it before I came out.

OK, I'll go back to grading essays

Kevin

p.s. Oh yeah, I don't think Chris's songs on this CD are as good as other Mac songs of hers, but they are certainly better than anything on In the Meantime, IMO. I think of In the Back of My Mind as their version of The Chain. I kind of like it. And Stevie's stuff is OK. I don't like any of Rick or Billy's songs except for Hard Feelings, which I somehow always pair in my mind with I'm the One from Chris's solo CD. Overall, I'd say it was a good try but also a very good example of just how necessary Lindsey is.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Christine McVie Of Fleetwood Mac Poster OLD
$49.99
Christine McVie Of Fleetwood Mac Poster OLD pictureChristine McVie Poster Fleetwood Mac Old /Warner Brothers
$49.0
Christine McVie Poster Fleetwood Mac Old /Warner Brothers pictureFleetwood Mac Stevie Nicks Mick Christine McVie Lindsey Grammy Award Poster
$24.99
Fleetwood Mac Stevie Nicks Mick Christine McVie Lindsey Grammy Award Poster pictureFLEETWOOD MAC ORIGINAL PHOTO Mac John Christine McVie, Stevie Nicks 1977 Band
$19.99
FLEETWOOD MAC ORIGINAL PHOTO Mac John Christine McVie, Stevie Nicks 1977 Band pictureChristine McVie Poster Fleetwood Mac Flat
$19.99
Christine McVie Poster Fleetwood Mac Flat picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved