The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Stevie, Lindsey or Christine?? (favorite singer/songwriter)
Christine McVie 29 18.83%
Lindsey Buckingham 35 22.73%
Stevie Nicks 90 58.44%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-17-2012, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I have his latest cd, which is great. Heard him live on the last FM tour in Rochester. Unless something miraculous has happened, I'm not thrilled with his voice live.
i know what you mean re FM tour, saw youtube footage.

and i don't know what happened, but his solo live voice has been incredible all last year. you can argue that some of that has been pre-engineered and mixed in at live shows, but we've also heard him sing live at 92Y, without even a proper mic let alone any engineering (check a bit earlier in this thread for Hejira's recording of one of the songs he did then).

EDIT: and, i hate what he did to his voice on SWS. all 6 songs from that album are much better live, with his regular voice - imo, of course.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i know what you mean re FM tour, saw youtube footage.

and i don't know what happened, but his solo live voice has been incredible all last year. you can argue that some of that has been pre-engineered and mixed in at live shows, but we've also heard him sing live at 92Y, without even a proper mic let alone any engineering (check a bit earlier in this thread for Hejira's recording of one of the songs he did then).

EDIT: and, i hate what he did to his voice on SWS. all 6 songs from that album are much better live, with his regular voice - imo, of course.
Well it's great to know he got his voice back. I guess it is very possible, with the right living, etc... Christine's voice in 1984 was much worse off than it was in 1987.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Well it's great to know he got his voice back. I guess it is very possible, with the right living, etc... Christine's voice in 1984 was much worse off than it was in 1987.
could be a part of it, i don't know whether he's using some kind of vocal coach or something too...

i wouldn't necessarily say he's got his voice "back" because he definitely doesn't have the high range anymore, not surprisingly. a lot of his sounding so good might be due to putting his songs in the key he can actually sing them in. just a speculation, but might be possible that with FM, with both his and SN's voice loosing range, they cannot find the range in which both of their voices can do their best.

another caveat, i don't like his young high girly-sounding voice. the voice he has now is lower, much fuller, and all around pretty impressive when you hear it during solo shows.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
You got a good heart wild-heart
ahahaha thankyou.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
could be a part of it, i don't know whether he's using some kind of vocal coach or something too...

i wouldn't necessarily say he's got his voice "back" because he definitely doesn't have the high range anymore, not surprisingly. a lot of his sounding so good might be due to putting his songs in the key he can actually sing them in. just a speculation, but might be possible that with FM, with both his and SN's voice loosing range, they cannot find the range in which both of their voices can do their best.

another caveat, i don't like his young high girly-sounding voice. the voice he has now is lower, much fuller, and all around pretty impressive when you hear it during solo shows.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
i don't like his young high girly-sounding voice. the voice he has now is lower, much fuller, and all around pretty impressive when you hear it during solo shows.
You know, I really appreciate his deeper "normal" voice after the helium thrill ride of Gift of Screws. We have that high, rapid manipulated voice throughout the song and then at the end you have regular Lindsey coming in and sing-talking "to the left, to the right, up and down, in and out, that's right baby, that's right" and I think it is such a hot, jarring contrast. My ears like the testosterone perk.

But I had a similar experience when I first heard Michael Jackson's 2000 Watts. I was thinking, "whoa, who is this man? Where's Michael been hiding him?"

Michele
Old 03-21-2012, 10:41 AM
Senior Ledgie

To be hyperbolic, this was a real Sophie's Choice for me. I'm a "package deal" kinda gal. I do love all of Lindsey's solo albums (as opposed to about 75% of Stevie's) but ultimately had to vote Chiffon in 2012. I have a tambo tattoo, 'nuff said.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushud82 View Post
To be hyperbolic, this was a real Sophie's Choice for me. I'm a "package deal" kinda gal. I do love all of Lindsey's solo albums (as opposed to about 75% of Stevie's) but ultimately had to vote Chiffon in 2012. I have a tambo tattoo, 'nuff said.

"Chiffon in 2012" - I LOVE that!!
Old 03-21-2012, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
You know, I really appreciate his deeper "normal" voice after the helium thrill ride of Gift of Screws. We have that high, rapid manipulated voice throughout the song and then at the end you have regular Lindsey coming in and sing-talking "to the left, to the right, up and down, in and out, that's right baby, that's right" and I think it is such a hot, jarring contrast. My ears like the testosterone perk.

But I had a similar experience when I first heard Michael Jackson's 2000 Watts. I was thinking, "whoa, who is this man? Where's Michael been hiding him?"

Michele
Brilliant comparison b/w MJ and LB voices.

I don't care if Lindsey is high or low, I just want the whisper-voice to go!

As for my pick: I am thinking... Stevie may be the glamorous glue. But I'm not ready to vote yet.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Had to go with...

LB (With all respects to Christine), burnt out on Stevie.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 03-21-2012, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart unexpected :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life View Post
<3 <3
Old 03-22-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life View Post
wow!
Old 03-23-2012, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Couldn't help it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
wow!
I am burnt out bigtime Stevie, to the point I have yet to purchase her latest album

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 05-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

good to see people kept voting on this one... current status (with 110 votes so far):

Christine McVie 18 16.36%
Lindsey Buckingham 26 23.64%
Stevie Nicks 66 60.00%
Old 05-03-2014, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
who is your favorite Rumours-era singer/songwriter?

i may be wrong, but i have a feeling that most people on these boards have a clear preference for one or the other singer/songwriter, so this will be a very easy decision.

for people who are purely FM fans and love them all together and equally, or 2 of them equally (BN fans?), i understand this may be really hard, but please try to still pick just one...

from reading various forums here, my estimate would be there are maybe 5-10 Christine fans, ~20 Lindsey fans, and probably way more than 30-40 Stevie fans that are active at least occasionally... but i might be completely off.
very old poll... bumping since there appear to be many new members around here in the last 2 years, or so.

the most recent results:

Christine McVie 20 16.53%
Lindsey Buckingham 28 23.14%
Stevie Nicks 73 60.33%
Voters: 121.

i expect the ratio to remain about the same, but we'll see. it's easily possible that some Christine fans joined or came back since she ended her retirement.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"