The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Look, the whole Rock and Roll Hall of Fame thing is a joke to begin with.

Randy Bachman isn't in the HOF, either. He wrote These Eyes, Undone, Laughing, No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature, No Time, American Woman, You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet, Taking Care Of Business, Let It Roll, and Let It Ride. He's not in, but Madonna and Abba are. THAT'S the organization people seem to be wasting a lot of time and a emotional energy trying to get Bob into.

Did Bob get screwed out of this moment of glory? Absolutely. He was completely disrespected. But nothing will bring that back. Even if he was inducted, they would do it quietly and just tack him on as a member of Fleetwood Mac. There would be no major public ceremony or announcement about it. Maybe a press release, and that's about all. The happy moment of glory has already passed.

I'm more upset that Bob era records are not available on iTunes and that Fleetwood Mac seems to be glossing over his time in the band more and more. THAT'S something that is legitimate cause for concern. No offense, but I'd quit wasting time on this joke of an organization that already has lost most of it's credibility within popular culture, and work harder fighting for Bob's legacy with in Fleetwood Mac. That's what people will remember years from now.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-16-2014, 09:16 AM
Registered

I Agree!

I'll Never Understand Why Bob didn't get in.

Sadly, Bob Has Gotten more attention after he died.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:10 AM
Registered

2729804 Views on YouTube for Ebony Eyes
Old 03-16-2014, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Look, the whole Rock and Roll Hall of Fame thing is a joke to begin with.
i just listened to the radio interview with Gene Simmons the other day and he was complaining about their induction and who was invited as a member of Kiss, and who wasn't. so it looks like the band may want certain people to be inducted, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily gonna happen; although i guess maybe it depends on who knows who and who's trying to pull the strings. this article basically sums up what Gene Simmons was saying in that local radio interview:

Kiss star Gene Simmons explains why band won't play at Hall of Fame
By Justin Harp
Friday, Mar 14 2014, 11:43pm EDT

Kiss star Gene Simmons has explained why the band will not perform at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

The 'Calling Dr Love' band have been announced as inductees this year, alongside Nirvana, Linda Ronstadt, Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band, Peter Gabriel, Cat Stevens and Hall & Oates.

ACM Awards 2012: Gene Simmons, Eric Singer, Tommy Thayer and Paul Stanley, of musical group KISS
© PA Images / Isaac Brekken/AP

It was later announced that Kiss would not perform, amid rumors that Simmons and Paul Stanley did not want to play with original members Peter Criss and Ace Frehley.

Simmons offered an explanation for the decision during an interview with Entertainment Weekly Radio.

"Paul and I got on the phone and called Ace and Peter," he recalled. "[We said] 'Hey, congratulations. It was an honor to stand alongside you then and we'll be proud to stand alongside of you at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to accept the award'."

The star continued: "And they were gracious and happy and God bless, and all of that, and we went off our separate ways. And then we found out the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame will only be honoring the original lineup with Ace, Peter, Paul and myself, and we said, 'Oh okay, then we won't be playing there. We'll just accept the award. Thank you very much'.

"And they go, 'What are you talking about?' and I said, 'Well, you have a group like the Eagles who continue to be our contemporaries… and every member that has ever been in the Eagles has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

"But you're only gonna honor the first lineup that was together for seven years? We've been around 40 years. Tommy [Thayer] and Eric [Singer] have been in the band 20 years - two and a half times longer than Ace and Peter."

He concluded: "You're going to slap them in the face and we're supposed to get you a sandwich and make sure you burp at 9.00 at night and get up on stage and do it? No, that's not going to happen."

This year's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony will be held on April 10 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.com/music/news...#ixzz2w9QdkLx8
Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 03-16-2014, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^Yes, when I read about this and listened to it being discussed on the radio, I certainly thought of FM and it helped confirm for me what the RRHOF controls and what the band's involvement in the induction process is.

Michele
Old 03-16-2014, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
^Yes, when I read about this and listened to it being discussed on the radio, I certainly thought of FM and it helped confirm for me what the RRHOF controls and what the band's involvement in the induction process is.
But then look at the Grateful Dead. Jerry Garcia insisted everybody who was ever a member of the band be inducted, which happened, and then he promptly skipped the ceremony.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-16-2014, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
But then look at the Grateful Dead. Jerry Garcia insisted everybody who was ever a member of the band be inducted, which happened, and then he promptly skipped the ceremony.
And, therefore.....

......Donna Jean Godchaux is IN, Bob Welch isn't. 'Nuff said.

Or, maybe not....

....Jann Wenner is a self-absorbed in-bred dickhead.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post

....Jann Wenner is a self-absorbed in-bred dickhead.
agreed. who doesn't know squat about music. rock and roll especially

great standup routine on the other thread cd

z
Old 03-16-2014, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And the Rolling Stones made sure that Ian Stewart got inducted, too.

http://rockhall.com/inductees/the-rolling-stones/bio/

Clearly, Bob Welch was done an insulting disservice- the band could have ensured that he was inducted. Had the lawsuit not happened, then I'm sure he would have been in.

But there is one countervailing view that amuses me slightly, from the late Bob Weston, in his Q & A , here on the Penguin.

I don't have an opinion on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame thing. Of course it's great to be recognised; who wants to be ignored? (Only the famous, perhaps .) I don't understand the method of selection, or the Hall of Fame's significance. Does one get a wax effigy, like Mme Tussauds?

It's a bit of a Groucho Marx response, I guess.

http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/fwm/inde...110&Itemid=127 it's 3 questions from the bottom of the page.

Last edited by Mr Scarrott; 03-16-2014 at 05:14 PM..
Old 03-17-2014, 09:50 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Reason Bob is not in the RRHOF

I know for a fact the reason that Bob Welch was not inducted in the RRHOF Mick called me the day that Bob died before his body even left the house and I refused to talk to him unless he told me why. He said "It was Christine McVie" and I put my friend on the phone with Mick, Mike Lawson, who was there with me as the police were still in my home. She refused to go on stage if he was inducted. It was NOT the RRHOF, but Fleetwood Mac, John, Mick and Chris who kept him out. Mick would not stand up to Christine. She did it vindictively because she was going to show him that he couldn't do what she felt was unjust to her. and I have letters and other statements to prove her vindictiveness then and now. They sounded great together, but she was always jealous that he sold more solo albums than she did, and was angry with him for other unaceptable reasons. I saw that in her at dinner one night. She was a very jealous and non-loyal person, I feel. Very
Sincerely the Truth!!! Mike Lawson is on facebook and you can ask him yourself. He is extremely honorable and reputable as you will see if you care to look.

Also, thank you for finally talking about this. It still can be changed and Bob wanted this Very Much! Welcome Chris, thank you, but one correction, Bob was in the band for five years, not three, and Christine just joined the band the year before. He wrote and sang 1/2 the songs on five albums and played guitar and sang backup on all the songs on those five albums. What's wrong with this picture?

Last edited by Wendy Welch; 03-17-2014 at 10:06 PM..