The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Stevie has a massive ego, but I also think Elle answered her own question. Stevie can easily make up any money she loses via solo touring, so I don't see the FM split as a concern for Stevie at all.

Lindsey might not make as much as he does w/o Christine there, but If they tour after 2014 and make an album, that's something extra that he never would have gotten w/o Christine anyway.

Michele
Old 11-23-2013, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I think Stevie has a massive ego, but I also think Elle answered her own question. Stevie can easily make up any money she loses via solo touring, so I don't see the FM split as a concern for Stevie at all.
I don't want to derail this thread, so this will have to be a conversation for another day... but I don't think Stevie has a "massive ego" in these regards. She certainly can exhibit quite an inflated sense of her own importance (but I think most people who've been famous for nearly 40 years, share that quality), but no one else in the band (except maybe Mick) ever seems as genuinely thrilled to share a stage with someone else, as Stevie does. Whether it's someone as hugely famous as Tom Petty or a semi-celeb like Vanessa Carlton.

Beyond that, I do agree with you that Stevie would and could make up for any "losses" via her solo work.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
I don't want to derail this thread, so this will have to be a conversation for another day... but I don't think Stevie has a "massive ego" in these regards.
I agree that Stevie is eager to share the stage with Christine and certainly loved her Tom Petty cameos. She worships Petty. She can also be a very generous person, but I think she has a massive ego. I don't think one thing discounts the other.

So no I don"t agree with you that Elle miscalculated the size of Stevie's ego. I just think she is wrong about Stevie being concerned with a lesser split for adding Chris. Stevie has other ways to make money outside of FM.

I am sure you and I don't agree about the size or nature of Lindsey's ego either. Michele
Old 11-23-2013, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree that Stevie is eager to share the stage with Christine and certainly loved her Tom Petty cameos. She worships Petty. She can also be a very generous person, but I think she has a massive ego. I don't think one thing discounts the other.

So no I don"t agree with you that Elle miscalculated the size of Stevie's ego. I just think she is wrong about Stevie being concerned with a lesser split for adding Chris. Stevie has other ways to make money outside of FM.

I am sure you and I don't agree about the size or nature of Lindsey's ego either. Michele
Lindsey, Stevie, and Mick all have bigger egos than Chris or John. I'm not saying that they're not nice, loving, or generous, but they can think highly of themselves. I think that Stevie would be willing to take a pay cut to have Chris back.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'msoAfraid95 View Post
Lindsey, Stevie, and Mick all have bigger egos than Chris or John. I'm not saying that they're not nice, loving, or generous, but they can think highly of themselves. I think that Stevie would be willing to take a pay cut to have Chris back.
Yes, when Stevie said she would give Christine $5,000,000 I think she might have been exaggerating just a little, but she'd give up a lot of profit herself to make that work one last time.

Michele
Old 11-23-2013, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, when Stevie said she would give Christine $5,000,000 I think she might have been exaggerating just a little, but she'd give up a lot of profit herself to make that work one last time.
I wonder if it would be less actual dollars or just less of a percentage. Having Christine back would command a higher ticket price (how much, I don't know), so it's possible that Stevie would make the same with Christine than without. Either way, I'm sure she's not as concerned about the money as she is getting Christine back in the band at this point. Also, I wonder if it would be "one last time" or if there would be more.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-23-2013, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I wonder if it would be less actual dollars or just less of a percentage. Having Christine back would command a higher ticket price (how much, I don't know), so it's possible that Stevie would make the same with Christine than without. Either way, I'm sure she's not as concerned about the money as she is getting Christine back in the band at this point. Also, I wonder if it would be "one last time" or if there would be more.
I don't know. They might make less. I'm not sure that they could command a higher ticket price, because I don't think the average concert goer (not us) values her return that much. I don't know if the average concert knew she was gone. I don't think they would feel, "I wouldn't pay this extra $20 for a ticket, if it wasn't for Christine." Of course, WE say that, but we are the few, the proud, the Marines.

But if Christine doesn't return they won't be touring again until 2016 anyway. I'm not saying that there is any validity to Stevie's 3 year rule, but I do think Lindsey and Mick couldn't have gotten the band back together for another tour before that and Lindsey has wanted an album, but I don't know if he was making any headway in convincing Stevie. So, if he has less of a percentage with Christine, it's still MORE than he would have gotten without her return.

Michele
Old 11-23-2013, 09:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Michele
We can't be having Stevie giving away lots of money...Think of what that might mean... We don't want poor little Sulamith Wulfing wearing outfits from K-mart now do we...
Old 11-23-2013, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I believe Stevie said in an interview not too long ago that at this point in her life she did not need the money and that for her going back to Fleetwood Mac fills an emotional need in her because they are all team. So I don't think Stevie will have any problems with Christine rejoining the group. As to her management team, Stevie's fired her manager before and she very well could do it again if this is something she really wants.

The argument that the band let Lindsey come back, so they should let Christine come back, doesn't seem like a viable argument to me either. It's like comparing apples to oranges. When Lindsey came back the band had completely broken up. There was NO Fleetwood Mac at that time and after Lindsey left in 87 the band pretty much fell apart. The band has been intact with just these 4 members since about 2002 and their popularity is continuing to increase. Whether it's because they are riding a wave of popularity from college kids or something else I don't know, but they have become very popular again in the last 3-4 years without Christine.

I don't want to start up any Lindsey bashing because he very well could welcome Christine back with open arms. However, I have always thought and still do that (as much as I love him) any problems with Christine rejoining the band will come from Lindsey.

Lindsey will take a hit financially if Christine rejoins. Though like Stevie he can make some of his losses up with his solo work even thought it's not as profitable for him as it is for her.

But money aside, Lindsey has never appeared to be money driven like some of the other band members, and I think he would be willing to take a decrease in the profits if necessary. What Lindsey has always cared about was making the best music possible. Many fans say that artistically adding Christine to the band only make since musically because her voice adds another layer to the bands sound and of the 3 her songs are the most successful commercially and I agree with that.

But it's hard to tell if Lindsey agrees with that or not. Maybe he was upset Christine left the band. Maybe he was mad when he said he enjoyed the dynamics of the band better with just the 4 members and maybe when he said Christine couldn't just come and go he was just trying to pin her down and not let her overshadow the band. Who knows

Also, (I believe) all of those quotes were made before the band knew John had cancer. I think John's cancer diagnosis has made the band members look at the fact that nothing last forever (like Lindsey said in his "Say Goodbye" dedication to Stevie) and that hopefully has made them kinder to each other. Hopefully, it has also made Stevie realize that she may not have a lot more time to create new music with the band and if they are going to make a new CD they need to get it going as soon as possible.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeshere View Post
I believe Stevie said in an interview not too long ago that at this point in her life she did not need the money and that for her going back to Fleetwood Mac fills an emotional need in her because they are all team. So I don't think Stevie will have any problems with Christine rejoining the group. As to her management team, Stevie's fired her manager before and she very well could do it again if this is something she really wants.

The argument that the band let Lindsey come back, so they should let Christine come back, doesn't seem like a viable argument to me either. It's like comparing apples to oranges. When Lindsey came back the band had completely broken up. There was NO Fleetwood Mac at that time and after Lindsey left in 87 the band pretty much fell apart. The band has been intact with just these 4 members since about 2002 and their popularity is continuing to increase. Whether it's because they are riding a wave of popularity from college kids or something else I don't know, but they have become very popular again in the last 3-4 years without Christine.

I don't want to start up any Lindsey bashing because he very well could welcome Christine back with open arms. However, I have always thought and still do that (as much as I love him) any problems with Christine rejoining the band will come from Lindsey.

Lindsey will take a hit financially if Christine rejoins. Though like Stevie he can make some of his losses up with his solo work even thought it's not as profitable for him as it is for her.

But money aside, Lindsey has never appeared to be money driven like some of the other band members, and I think he would be willing to take a decrease in the profits if necessary. What Lindsey has always cared about was making the best music possible. Many fans say that artistically adding Christine to the band only make since musically because her voice adds another layer to the bands sound and of the 3 her songs are the most successful commercially and I agree with that.

But it's hard to tell if Lindsey agrees with that or not. Maybe he was upset Christine left the band. Maybe he was mad when he said he enjoyed the dynamics of the band better with just the 4 members and maybe when he said Christine couldn't just come and go he was just trying to pin her down and not let her overshadow the band. Who knows

Also, (I believe) all of those quotes were made before the band knew John had cancer. I think John's cancer diagnosis has made the band members look at the fact that nothing last forever (like Lindsey said in his "Say Goodbye" dedication to Stevie) and that hopefully has made them kinder to each other. Hopefully, it has also made Stevie realize that she may not have a lot more time to create new music with the band and if they are going to make a new CD they need to get it going as soon as possible.
As for FM's recent surge in popularity look no further than Stevie Nicks...Stevie has been tirelessly promoting herself as well as FM since she started work on "IYD" and it paid off...

Stevie and Lindsey have both said it would be nice to go out the same way they came in and that is as Buckingham/Nicks...Stevie & Lindsey are going to have to make a decision here between Solo-Buckingham/Nicks or FM because I don't see all these things getting done...

It's possible Lindsey may not want Christine keeping him in check if you will...

Lindsey puts a lot of effort into his work so I don't think he wants anyone saying "Oh you had to bring Christine back in order to make a good record"

Last edited by BlueDenimLamp; 11-23-2013 at 07:21 PM..
Old 11-23-2013, 07:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
As for FM's recent surge in popularity look no further than Stevie Nicks...Stevie has been tirelessly promoting herself as well as FM since she started work on "IYD" and it paid off...
Yes. Because when most people talk about Fleetwood Mac, they talk about IYD.

Quote:
Stevie and Lindsey have both said it would be nice to go out the same way they came in and that is as Buckingham/Nicks...Stevie & Lindsey are going to have to make a decision here between Solo-Buckingham/Nicks or FM because I don't see all these things getting done...

It's possible Lindsey may not want Christine keeping him in check if you will...
Lindsey would TOTALLY rather do another Buckingham Nicks project over a Fleetwood Mac project with Christine McVie...Yep. He'd rather celebrate a band that got dropped over one of the greatest bands ever.

Quote:
Lindsey puts a lot of effort into his work so I don't think he wants anyone saying "Oh you had to bring Christine back in order to make a good record"
More like he puts a lot of effort into his work, and he'd actually like it to get noticed. You know, the EXACT reason "Say You Will" (Fleetwood Mac) was released over the original "Gift Of Screws" (Lindsey solo).

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-23-2013, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

More like he puts a lot of effort into his work, and he'd actually like it to get noticed. You know, the EXACT reason "Say You Will" (Fleetwood Mac) was released over the original "Gift Of Screws" (Lindsey solo).
This I think is partially true. If I remember correctly Lindsey did say that originally he was trying to get his solo work out and that he was hoping FM would drum up more interest in him so he could get WB to release it.

But then WB came back and agreed to release the CD provided he keep Mick on the drums and wanted to bill it with Lindsey and Mick doing promotions together. Lindsey however scrapped that idea because he was already talking to FM about touring and that was moving forward so he left his solo work behind, which he did NOT have to do.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes. Because when most people talk about Fleetwood Mac, they talk about IYD.
IYD is the record they should have made...Not that they should sound like Stevie Nicks but it would not hurt them to do something other than the "Buckingham/Rumours" sound...I'm quite sure John & Mick would be thrilled if LB would suggest they record a few blues numbers...What's the John quote? "Bloody hell we're supposed to be a blues band"

Quote:
Lindsey would TOTALLY rather do another Buckingham Nicks project over a Fleetwood Mac project with Christine McVie...Yep. He'd rather celebrate a band that got dropped over one of the greatest bands ever.
Don't forget if it weren't for "Buckingham/Nicks" Fleetwood Mac would possibly be just a footnote in some "History of rock" story...

Quote:
If LB want's to be noticed then he needs to put himself out there more because sitting around waiting for FM isn't working very well...
Old 11-23-2013, 08:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post

I though about this but I wasn't going to bring it up. Neither was going to bring up Micks comment that things were as they were suppose to be with Buckingham Nicks up front and Fleetwood Mac in the back.

But again, if Christine was willing to rejoin Mick would be the first one to welcome her back with open arms.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeshere View Post

But unlike Stevie and Christine, he would surely like to financially secure the future of his three children.

Personally, I miss her playing way more. Her style really thickens the sound and makes it richer. I don't think they will ever have another monster hit in the future, no matter who writes the songs. It's more likely for an old song to be rediscovered by a new generation like Everywhere was after the pony commercial.