The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: What album has the best track order?
Fleetwood Mac 1975 7 13.46%
Rumours 26 50.00%
Tusk 7 13.46%
Live 1 1.92%
Mirage 4 7.69%
Tango in the Night 4 7.69%
The Dance 2 3.85%
Say you will 1 1.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-14-2013, 07:21 PM
Villavic's Avatar
Villavic Villavic is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Lima Peru
Posts: 2,857
Default Your favorite album track order

I think we have talked about good songs order but not in a poll. What is your favorite track order in an album, the best organized..

I'm including live albums but not greatest hits, all from the Rumours lineup except SYW
__________________

Last edited by Villavic : 01-14-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
.
  #2  
Old 01-14-2013, 07:30 PM
cantgoback cantgoback is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 109
Default

Rumours definitely, all the stories in the songs, they're all good but rumours just shines brighter.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-14-2013, 08:28 PM
WildHearted's Avatar
WildHearted WildHearted is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,136
Default

Rumours, in it's original format at least.

It's weird on CD because it goes from Songbird to The Chain and it feels kind of disconnected. But on vinyl where you have to flip to the other side, it totally works.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-14-2013, 08:52 PM
FierySequences FierySequences is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
Rumours, in it's original format at least.

It's weird on CD because it goes from Songbird to The Chain and it feels kind of disconnected. But on vinyl where you have to flip to the other side, it totally works.
This is perhaps the only thread I will ever vote for Rumours.

Interestingly enough....somewhere in the early 90's I had bought a double cassette with Rumours and FM (75) combined.
The track listing had IDWK and SHN reversed and I thought this was the original running order. It actually worked (if one was none the wiser) I think it still works, either way.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-14-2013, 09:55 PM
Villavic's Avatar
Villavic Villavic is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Lima Peru
Posts: 2,857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FierySequences View Post
Interestingly enough....somewhere in the early 90's I had bought a double cassette with Rumours and FM (75) combined.
The track listing had IDWK and SHN reversed and I thought this was the original running order. It actually worked (if one was none the wiser) I think it still works, either way.
I bought the combined cassette in 1988 but the track listing is correct. Weird to hear there was a release with a mistaken order.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-14-2013, 10:13 PM
FierySequences FierySequences is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I bought the combined cassette in 1988 but the track listing is correct. Weird to hear there was a release with a mistaken order.
hmm, now that you mention it...it may not have been the dbl album I bought. But I know at some point I had a version with IDWK as the lead track.

will have to look to see if I still have it, fingers crossed it is a collector's item (but I doubt it)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-14-2013, 10:30 PM
louielouie2000's Avatar
louielouie2000 louielouie2000 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 6,341
Default

I am probably the only one in the world who thinks the Rumours sequencing isn't so great. I realize it was sequenced as an LP with 2 sides, and that's why it doesn't transfer to the digital age so well. That being said, Songbird being in the middle of the album (but on the end of an LP side) just crashes the momentum and puts me to sleep. It should have been the song to close out Rumours.

I adore the quirky tracking order of Tusk, but the stark transition from Sara to What Makes You Think You're The One just kills it for me. It's too violent, and crashes the dreamy revery Sara puts you into.

The White Album ('75) is perfectly sequenced. But the whole package is almost too perfect to the point of being middle of the road & dull. There's no grit.

Lindsey's material on Mirage is too subpar to make the cut.

Say You Will has a glut of material for it to win.

My ideal tracking order for the Rumours era goes to Tango. The flow is great, the energy is kept up, rockers are paired with the more contemplative songs flawlessly, and the album begins & ends perfectly. There is a continuity between the 3 songwriters that isn't really present on any of the other Rumours albums, yet each artist shines individually. When I go on road trips with friends, Tango is usually the only Mac album I bring along for the drive, and that's because it's sequenced so well.
__________________
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a382/louielouie2000/The_Plant_-_Sausalito_-_front_door_2.jpg

Last edited by louielouie2000 : 01-14-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-14-2013, 10:38 PM
MikeInNV MikeInNV is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I am probably the only one in the world who thinks the Rumours sequencing isn't so great. I realize it was sequenced as an LP with 2 sides, and that's why it doesn't transfer to the digital age so well. That being said, Songbird being in the middle of the album (but on the end of an LP side) just crashes the momentum and puts me to sleep. It should have been the song to close out Rumours.

I adore the quirky tracking order of Tusk, but the stark transition from Sara to What Makes You Think You're The One just kills it for me. It's too violent, and crashes the dreamy revery Sara puts you into.
While I get what you're saying about Songbird (it does seem like an album-closing type of song), I just can't imagine Rumours ending with anything other than GDW which, in a completely different way, is also a perfect closer.

The transition from Sara to WMYTYTO is also less of a problem when you're flipping over a vinyl record, but even with that said I don't think it's a very well-sequenced album. I don't like "Over and Over" as an opener, and I don't like how long you wait for the next Christine song.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-14-2013, 11:52 PM
TrueFaith77's Avatar
TrueFaith77 TrueFaith77 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New York City!
Posts: 4,532
Default

Listening to Tusk is like surfing waves of bliss.
__________________
Find out more about my books: The Community of Desire: Selected Critical Writings (2001-2007) & Serpents and Doves <---Fleetwood Mac content!!! & my NEW book Watch the Throne
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-15-2013, 08:20 AM
Villavic's Avatar
Villavic Villavic is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Lima Peru
Posts: 2,857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Listening to Tusk is like surfing waves of bliss.
When I listen Rumours is like driving along the shore watching the sunset...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-15-2013, 08:30 AM
On Ice On Ice is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 403
Default

I'm voting for Rumours as the sequencing is part of what makes the album a full listen, even for non-fans. I've heard it back in the day played in its entirety at parties and it works. I can't imagine it in any different order. Tusk is also great but I agree with a previous poster that we have to wait to long to hear Christine again after Think About Me. Tango is also sequenced well but Stevie is so out of her groove that it clunks at her 3 meagre tracks.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-15-2013, 11:17 AM
vivfox's Avatar
vivfox vivfox is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,057
Default

I wanted to vote for side four of Tusk but the title track destroys the lullaby feelings for me. I love the song Tusk but wish that spot was reserved for Brown Eyes.

I voted for the white album because every song flows perfectly into the next without making me want to skip a song.
__________________
 photo d754aa6e-1605-473c-895b-9665a3f17371_zpsrtovtrei.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-15-2013, 11:21 AM
holidayroad's Avatar
holidayroad holidayroad is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Down Endless Street
Posts: 5,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FierySequences View Post
hmm, now that you mention it...it may not have been the dbl album I bought. But I know at some point I had a version with IDWK as the lead track.

will have to look to see if I still have it, fingers crossed it is a collector's item (but I doubt it)
You are not mistaken. I have a cassette with White album and Rumours. I have also have one of just Rumours. Both cassettes have IDWTK as the lead song in Rumours and have SHN after You Make Loving Fun.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-15-2013, 11:23 AM
vivfox's Avatar
vivfox vivfox is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,057
Default

I never understood why Lindsey didn't have any of his songs on side 2 of Rumours.
__________________
 photo d754aa6e-1605-473c-895b-9665a3f17371_zpsrtovtrei.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-15-2013, 12:15 PM
KarmaContestant's Avatar
KarmaContestant KarmaContestant is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,911
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
My ideal tracking order for the Rumours era goes to Tango. The flow is great, the energy is kept up, rockers are paired with the more contemplative songs flawlessly, and the album begins & ends perfectly. There is a continuity between the 3 songwriters that isn't really present on any of the other Rumours albums, yet each artist shines individually. When I go on road trips with friends, Tango is usually the only Mac album I bring along for the drive, and that's because it's sequenced so well.
Birds of a feather...

But really, I picked Tango as well. It didn't even require any thought. It's perfect in it's sequence - and I don't feel any of the other albums are.
__________________
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

1997 Pretty Blond Singer Bekka Bramlett With Billy Burnette Press Photo
$20.0
1997 Pretty Blond Singer Bekka Bramlett With Billy Burnette Press Photo pictureSam Moore/Bekka Bramlett Signed/Autographed CD Sleeve/Obtained In Person
$12.95
Sam Moore/Bekka Bramlett Signed/Autographed CD Sleeve/Obtained In Person picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved