The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i just realized i ended up with 35 songs in the setlist lol! since FM are not Bruce, guess we can easily get this list down to just never/rarely performed songs (plus The Chain and Oh Well, and couple of SN songs that i absolutely need to hear live) and end up with 28 songs instead

The Chain
Oh Well

LB songs:
Bleed to Love Her
That's The Way Love Goes
In Our Own Time
Walk A Thin Line
What Makes You Think You're The One
Red Rover
Murrow
Tango
Come
Deep Dense!!

SN songs:
Gypsy (acoustic)
Storms
Angel
Beautiful Child
Destiny Rules
IYD song choice (leaving it up to SN fans)
SA (??)
Twisted (w/ LB)
Sisters of the Moon
Say You Will
and sorry - but i absolutely need to hear Silver Springs and Gold Dust Woman live.

BN songs:
Stephanie
Frozen Love (although not my first BN choice...)
IDWK (i can live with that
Crystal (i'm conceding you all this one! and i don't care who sings it, should prob be SN)

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
nice!!

i'm not sure why would you add Trouble????? yes, FM never performed it, but until recently you could never ever get LB's solo set without it, and i'm all for him dropping Trouble from solo set! and really don't need it popping up in FM set instead!!
Why the distress? lol We are all just dreaming and speculating. I'm really not that crazy about any solo songs in a Fleetwood Mac set. Stand Back is the most egregious addition; it sticks out like sore thumb because it's not even in the general style of Fleetwood Mac, and more significantly it's identified largely as an iconic solo anthem of Stevie Nicks. Given the choice of all her other Fleetwood Mac songs, she kind of sold herself out and chose one of her high profile solo songs. It really muddied the waters between both worlds. I hate that it has insinuated itself as a set list staple of Fleetwood Mac.

Trouble is certainly a left field choice. I think it was his only solo single that got traction on the charts and radio play. It also stands out as a mainstream song that has a very Fleetwood Mac vibe (Mick plays drums on it!). I envisioned it not as a solo acoustic dirge, but more like the studio track, upbeat, with a full band and Stevie contributing vocal harmonies.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 10-13-2012 at 04:54 PM..
Old 10-13-2012, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Why the distress? lol We are all just dreaming and speculating. I'm really not that crazy about any solo songs in a Fleetwood Mac set.
because i can't stand Trouble in any shape or form so the thought of adding it in the FM set (which i'm sure will have enough songs that i don't like!), is very distressing to me lol. please no!!

i am however for adding some solo songs from both SN's and LB's most recent solo albums, as you can see on my list. i'd LOVE that.

hey if you want solo Lindsey song that Mick and John play on and that Lindsey said Mick would LOVE to do live - let's replace Tusk with Gift Of Screws!!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-13-2012, 04:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
because i can't stand Trouble in any shape or form so the thought of adding it in the FM set (which i'm sure will have enough songs that i don't like!), is very distressing to me lol. please no!!

i am however for adding some solo songs from both SN's and LB's most recent solo albums, as you can see on my list. i'd LOVE that.

hey if you want solo Lindsey song that Mick and John play on and that Lindsey said Mick would LOVE to do live - let's replace Tusk with Gift Of Screws!!
I have empathy for your trouble with Trouble. Let's stay clear of trouble. Gift of Screws would be awesome!
Old 10-13-2012, 05:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
i don't like full band Big Love version at all, and don't wish to ever hear it. i'm puzzled by all the love and wishes expressed for the full band version of that one... maybe people want to hear whether SN would be in for joined grunts?
I can't speak for anyone else but me but I too have noticed all the requests for a full band version of Big Love. For several years now people have been requesting this. You are the only member that I've read so far that likes the song the way it is. I wanna hear the full band version because it has never been performed that way live. It has always been just Lindsey and his guitar and as magnificent as it is, it's just so stale in its repetiveness.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, Linds started the acoustic "Big Love" tradition with "The Dance", where he explained things had changed so the song had to. But FM are no longer 'freshly reunited', or whatever, and the anger between members has gone, I don't see the need for an acoustic performance in a band setting, especially when he plays it that way during his solo shows.

Now don't get me wrong- I may prefer the solo version if they played a band version. It just seems weird to go through the motions of LB saying the spiel "When we were making Tango, times were hard. I was looking out for love, not looking for love. As time went on, the meaning changed, etc etc", when that was 25 years ago, it IS stale.

As was said, the Chain as an opener is stale too, especially since they usually play slower songs afterwards (I noticed this with SN opening with Rock and Roll and then the next slower ones were out of tempo a few weeks ago). They need to start with a new song or one not performed for a bit at least.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
Yeah, Linds started the acoustic "Big Love" tradition with "The Dance", where he explained things had changed so the song had to. But FM are no longer 'freshly reunited', or whatever, and the anger between members has gone, I don't see the need for an acoustic performance in a band setting, especially when he plays it that way during his solo shows.
He played it that way solo even before The Dance. Funnily enough, he has since played it's mate, Go Insane, with the band -- in his solo show.

Michele
Old 10-13-2012, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cory said they used to beg Lindsey for Trouble during FM sound checks for the SYW tour. Sometimes, he grudgingly obliged.

Michele
Old 10-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Now don't get me wrong- I may prefer the solo version if they played a band version. It just seems weird to go through the motions of LB saying the spiel "When we were making Tango, times were hard. I was looking out for love, not looking for love. As time went on, the meaning changed, etc etc", when that was 25 years ago, it IS stale.

As was said, the Chain as an opener is stale too, especially since they usually play slower songs afterwards (I noticed this with SN opening with Rock and Roll and then the next slower ones were out of tempo a few weeks ago). They need to start with a new song or one not performed for a bit at least.
Yeah, I can definitely see your point. Although part of me finds his speech endearing, it was quite a while ago... Idk, I think everyone has heard it - they need to come up with new routines and speeches lol.

As for the Big Love debate. I love how he plays it now but would really enjoy the full band version. I think it would feel a bit more upbeat, less morose (a sentiment I do enjoy, e.g. Go Insane - a song I definitely don't want to hear played with the band).
Old 10-14-2012, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
As for the Big Love debate. I love how he plays it now but would really enjoy the full band version. I think it would feel a bit more upbeat, less morose (a sentiment I do enjoy, e.g. Go Insane - a song I definitely don't want to hear played with the band).
Agreed back at you, which is why I think a lot of LB Mac songs (i.e. Tusk and SYW) have not been played live, too 'morose'.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I have empathy for your trouble with Trouble. Let's stay clear of trouble. Gift of Screws would be awesome!
yes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I can't speak for anyone else but me but I too have noticed all the requests for a full band version of Big Love. For several years now people have been requesting this. You are the only member that I've read so far that likes the song the way it is. I wanna hear the full band version because it has never been performed that way live. It has always been just Lindsey and his guitar and as magnificent as it is, it's just so stale in its repetitiveness.
why perform the full band version of BL, when there are so many other, more interesting Lindsey songs they can do? solo version is interesting and different, full band version is not - at least not to me.

Quote:

no. Lindsey performed acoustic versions of Big Love and Go Insane since his 1992/93 solo tour.

i'm not sure i understand completely what several people are saying - he talks about 2 different things when introducing that song:
  • lyrics - looking for love vs looking out for love
  • arrangement - change from full-band to solo.
you seem to be mixing these 2 things together. the lyrics would still be the same with full-band version. so the part of his intro that everybody seems to object the most would still be applicable.

also, what he says about the person being able to change i believe has a significance to him that we may or may not understand. i partly interpret it as him changing from being drugged-up angry bitter person in the late 70s and 80s, to the more mellow, accepting, and contemplative person he seems to be today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
He played it that way solo even before The Dance. Funnily enough, he has since played it's mate, Go Insane, with the band -- in his solo show.
yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Cory said they used to beg Lindsey for Trouble during FM sound checks for the SYW tour. Sometimes, he grudgingly obliged.
hope nobody begs him now!

Quote:
Agreed back at you, which is why I think a lot of LB Mac songs (i.e. Tusk and SYW) have not been played live, too 'morose'.
that's interesting and different interpretation. i think those songs are too off the Mac's middle-of-the-road sound, which he tried to change time and again starting with Tusk, and never seems to be really happening. they are more rocking, edgier songs... not mellower mac-ish songs people seem to prefer. i was actually thinking of something very similar when i was looking at my list of Lindsey songs that i would like to hear on FM tour, that are normally not performed by them:

Quote:
i
Bleed to Love Her
That's The Way Love Goes
In Our Own Time
Walk A Thin Line
What Makes You Think You're The One
Red Rover
Murrow
Tango
Come

Deep Dense!!
look at the songs i bolded, especially Murrow, Tango and Come - they are heavy rocking songs with long guitar solos. maybe those would not be fitting for the crowd used to hear mellower Mac?

i remember reading some old reviews of SYW tour when LB performed both Come and ISA, and some people complained about having to hear those great guitar solos!?! so maybe your regular Mac audience would have a hard time with something like Murrow/Tango/Come all in the same set? (unlike LB's solo audience which is reveling in huge solos and getting to hear both Come and ISA!). although, it's feasible that next year's FM audiences will include new kids that heard FM on Glee and such, and maybe those newcomers will anjoy and appreciate stuff like those amazing guitar solos?

Old 10-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

i'm not sure i understand completely what several people are saying - he talks about 2 different things when introducing that song:
  • lyrics - looking for love vs looking out for love
  • arrangement - change from full-band to solo.
you seem to be mixing these 2 things together. the lyrics would still be the same with full-band version. so the part of his intro that everybody seems to object the most would still be applicable.

also, what he says about the person being able to change i believe has a significance to him that we may or may not understand. i partly interpret it as him changing from being drugged-up angry bitter person in the late 70s and 80s, to the more mellow, accepting, and contemplative person he seems to be today.

that's interesting and different interpretation. i think those songs are too off the Mac's middle-of-the-road sound, which he tried to change time and again starting with Tusk, and never seems to be really happening. they are more rocking, edgier songs... not mellower mac-ish songs people seem to prefer. i was actually thinking of something very similar when i was looking at my list of Lindsey songs that i would like to hear on FM tour, that are normally not performed by them:

look at the songs i bolded, especially Murrow, Tango and Come - they are heavy rocking songs with long guitar solos. maybe those would not be fitting for the crowd used to hear mellower Mac?

i remember reading some old reviews of SYW tour when LB performed both Come and ISA, and some people complained about having to hear those great guitar solos!?! so maybe your regular Mac audience would have a hard time with something like Murrow/Tango/Come all in the same set? (unlike LB's solo audience which is reveling in huge solos and getting to hear both Come and ISA!).
I have to address the last bit first! People actually complained about long guitar solos... That is so wrong

For me, how I'd like to see BL performed has nothing to do with what he says before the song. I definitely appreciate it was sort of a watershed moment for him. But, similarly to how many of us would like to hear rarely played songs, I'd love to hear something new about a different song. Presumably he has a few other tunes that are meaningful to him
Old 10-14-2012, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindOfWoman90 View Post
I have to address the last bit first! People actually complained about long guitar solos... That is so wrong
I might be one of those complainers. On a FM stage Lindsey's guitar solo's bore me to tears because they seem to go on and on and on repeating the same riff over and over and over. That's why I hated Not That Funny live, because it was a loooooooooooooong 7 minutes that felt like 15. On a SN stage I'm bored silly with long guitar solos that Waddy performs. The intro to Edge is endlessly boring because of that.
If I'm watching Lindsey at a solo concert I'm not bothered by a long guitar solo because it's not taking time away from another part of the show that might be a bit more exciting then hearing 'wang wang wang.'
Old 10-14-2012, 01:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I might be one of those complainers. On a FM stage Lindsey's guitar solo's bore me to tears because they seem to go on and on and on repeating the same riff over and over and over. That's why I hated Not That Funny live, because it was a loooooooooooooong 7 minutes that felt like 15. On a SN stage I'm bored silly with long guitar solos that Waddy performs. The intro to Edge is endlessly boring because of that.
If I'm watching Lindsey at a solo concert I'm not bothered by a long guitar solo because it's not taking time away from another part of the show that might be a bit more exciting then hearing 'wang wang wang.'
I'm so glad you said that about Waddy... Love him, but in my head I'm thinking Okay Stevie, where are you... lol

I totally understand Whenever I've watched the Boston concert back home certain family members start to complain halfway through Come. Personally, I love those harder rock moments with FM. You make a good point about "taking away" from something else in an FM concert though.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I might be one of those complainers. On a FM stage Lindsey's guitar solo's bore me to tears because they seem to go on and on and on repeating the same riff over and over and over. That's why I hated Not That Funny live, because it was a loooooooooooooong 7 minutes that felt like 15.
Sometimes NTF was about 15 minutes long.

Michele