User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
I'm so sorry to say this especially since so many people are grieving, but I really do not like this statement from Mick, it just rubs me the wrong way. Is he saying only unintelligent people commit suicide? I know Mick fancies himself religious and has mentioned God (and faith) in interviews and songs (These Strange Times). Does he feel Bob is in hell? That for a highly intelligent person, it was a dumb thing to do?

If anything, I feel highly intelligent people tend to be the ones who do commit suicide or at least go there in their thoughts. It's so complex. Anyway, I am not trying to make trouble, just food for thought.
As someone who suffers from anxiety and depression issues but hasn't found a source to help me balance those issues, I feel like I can understand a bit of what Bob must have been going through. I mean, nobody truly knows but on some level I can understand. I feel it's shameful and wrong for anyone to judge those who've committed suicide. People believe that things like this are issues of mind over matter or having a more positive outlook on life. It doesn't work that way. The pain Bob must have been feeling inside for him to want to prematurely end his life had to be immense and he must have felt that he was beyond help. It makes you wish that everyone who cared about him could have have an inkling so we could have given him the proverbial pat on the shoulder and told him how much we all love him and the positive influence he and his music have made in all our lives. Even then though, that might not have been enough.

Matt
Old 06-09-2012, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
It makes you wish that everyone who cared about him could have have an inkling so we could have given him the proverbial pat on the shoulder and told him how much we all love him and the positive influence he and his music have made in all our lives. Even then though, that might not have been enough.

Matt
This is what I immediately thought when I heard the news. At that point, I thought he'd acted from depression and I felt a well-placed word of support or a LOT of them from friends and even fans might have made a difference.

But then, if what is being said about his back problems are true, then I don't think that's the case. It changed my perspective on everything. At first, I was shocked that he would do that and do it where his wife could find him. But now I think he might have been incapacitated and couldn't go any farther. Maybe he couldn't even leave his house and dispatch himself in a way that would spare her. Also, he probably shot himself in the chest and not the head for her sake. If it's true about his physical condition then . . . you know when I first heard that Christopher Reeve was paralyzed he was still in critical condition and I was hoping that I would hear that he would not live.

That's a horrible thought on my part, because "Superman" did live and his paralysis helped many other people and raised money for research and brought attention to spinal cord injuries. He was a fighter and he used his disability to help others. But if he'd gone the other way and said he didn't want to live like that, then I would have understood. If Bob was in a similar situation, I see why he made his choice and I'm sure the people that love him and knew him best do too.

Michele
Old 06-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I still feel so shocked that this has happened. I started being a fan of FM in the Tango era. That brought me to buying older FM albums and discovering Bob's music.

In the late 90s, I corresponded with Bob a few times by email. I wrote him at his site and he was nice enough to take time to respond to my questions. That meant a lot to me.

Since I've been here at The Ledge, he was again very kind to reply to things I posted and answer questions I had.

The world has lost a good person.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
I still feel so shocked that this has happened. I started being a fan of FM in the Tango era. That brought me to buying older FM albums and discovering Bob's music.

In the late 90s, I corresponded with Bob a few times by email. I wrote him at his site and he was nice enough to take time to respond to my questions. That meant a lot to me.

Since I've been here at The Ledge, he was again very kind to reply to things I posted and answer questions I had.

The world has lost a good person.

Who's on the left in that top photo? How did Bob and Stevie come to be in a photo like this together?
Old 06-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^I know for a while Bob opened for them, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with that picture. That would be my assumption though.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
^I know for a while Bob opened for them, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with that picture. That would be my assumption though.
Still don't know who that is on the left though.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
The photo is from the 1978 tour, the Cleveland show scheduled for august 4 had to be postponed because of Lindsey's spinal tap. This photo is from the pressconference regarding that. The guy on the left is Jules Belkin, a concert promoter. Bob was there because he was part of the concert bill.

“Remember, in the grand scheme of things, what we do for a living is not very important. After all, we’re not curing cancer here.” - John McVie
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/

Last edited by Sanne2; 06-09-2012 at 06:40 PM..
Old 06-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Another terrible and sad news. I wasn't expecting to read something like this when I opened the online news today, and it leaves me petrified. R.I.P. from Italy.

PS: I'm sorry, only now I saw this video was already posted.

Last edited by Chris_Lover; 06-09-2012 at 07:53 PM..
Old 06-09-2012, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanne2 View Post
The photo is from the 1978 tour, the Cleveland show scheduled for august 4 had to be postponed because of Lindsey's spinal tap. This photo is from the pressconference regarding that. The guy on the left is Jules Belkin, a concert promoter. Bob was there because he was part of the concert bill.
It would have been cooler had they done the show with Bob filling in for Lindsey.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanne2 View Post
Thanks for clarifying re all that.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murrow View Post
Who's on the left in that top photo? How did Bob and Stevie come to be in a photo like this together?
Watching Mick's hat and look, this seems to be a Tusk era photo. Where was Lindsey? Why Bob is there?