The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Excerpt from a Paste article on band romances, by Gregory Himes, February 20, 2012:

http://www.pastemagazine.com/article...the-years.html

Almost as unflinching as Doe and Cervenka were the three songwriters in a very different Southern California band, Fleetwood Mac. When the relatively unknown American duo, Buckingham & Nicks, joined in 1975, the group was transformed from a middling British blues-rock band into a Beatlesque pop-rock juggernaut, with Lindsey Buckingham playing the iconoclastic John Lennon role, Stevie Nicks the mystic George Harrison role and Christine McVie the Tin Pan Alley Paul McCartney role. Giving this lineup’s debut album, Fleetwood Mac, an extra squirt of juice was the public knowledge that Buckingham and Nicks were longtime lovers, while McVie was married to founding bassist John McVie. Hearing them sing about each other on the album was mesmerizing; seeing them glance at one another across a stage while doing so was even more so.

The album was a huge hit, but success shattered all their relationships—even drummer Mick Fleetwood’s offstage marriage. With immense financial incentives before them, they decided to soldier on together. They took their problems as an artistic challenge as well as a personal challenge, however, and wrote a suite of break-up songs that became the 1977 album Rumours, a commercial and critical triumph. Emblematic of that album was its No. 1 single, “The Chain,” credited as co-written by all five members. Describing coupledom as a chain in two senses—as an indissoluble bond of loyalty and as a prisoner’s restraint—the song raced along so quickly that neither the singers nor the listeners could decide which was the more apt comparison. There was no time for pondering, because a decision had to be made immediately: “If you don’t love me now, you will never love me again.”

It turned out to be a false choice. When the passions had cooled, when Fleetwood and Nicks had ended their own affair, the five musicians realized that they would never again be in love as they had but wouldn’t have to hate each other either. They settled into a wary coexistence and created three more very good albums—1979’s Tusk, 1982’s Mirage and 1987’s Tango in the Night—before Buckingham left in 1987, Nicks in 1991 and Christine McVie in 1998 (Buckingham and Nicks returned in 1997). But they would never again be as passionate with love as they were on Fleetwood Mac nor as passionate with anger as they were on Rumours. And that’s proof enough of how real-life relationships can provide the fuel for the fiction that pop songs are.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Emblematic of that album was its No. 1 single, “The Chain,” credited as co-written by all five members.
LOL.....that's going to cause chaos in the "what's the definition of a hit" thread.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
LOL.....that's going to cause chaos in the "what's the definition of a hit" thread.
Shhh! Maybe nobody will notice it.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Happy Birthday, Rumours.
You changed my life.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
i know, i immediately saw it also. of course people would say it's wrong info but... come on, it's obviously a perception in the mind of so many people.

but i'm done with dragging that discussion on there... leaving it in your capable hands. (and up to MSB of course!)
Old 02-23-2012, 01:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Excerpt From the Times Union

http://blog.timesunion.com/davenport...nalyzing/1689/

Top 5 album covers I spent the 70s and 80s overanalyzingFebruary 22, 2012 at 8:28 am by Megan Willis

Rumours – Fleetwood Mac. The first album I actually owned. I adored the cover so much I spent over a year in highschool recreating the cover on a piece of painted cardboard. In the end, I had a near exact reproduction save for the pit of darkness that comprised Stevie Nicks’ left eye. Mick Fleetwood’s dingle balls? Best accessory EVER.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:37 AM
CADreaming
This message has been deleted by CADreaming. Reason: Perception.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
of course people would say it's wrong info but... come on, it's obviously a perception in the mind of so many people.
Royalties aren't based on perception, album cuts don't have charts and there's a reason why certain songs are called "Hit Singles".

I don't make the rules, I just follows 'em.

Last edited by CADreaming; 02-23-2012 at 09:36 AM..
Old 02-23-2012, 08:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Royalties aren't based on perception, album cuts don't have charts and there's a reason why certain songs are called "Hit Singles".

I don't make the rules, I just follows 'em.

some interesting info from pre-rumours forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by absinthe_boy View Post
A hit single is generally defined as having cracked the top 40 of the singles chart.

In the UK that would be 'The Official Charts Company' as reported on BBC Radio - it's pretty simple for stuff prior to digital downloads. A Single is defined as a recording released to the public with no more than four tracks and the total running time being under 20 minutes (from memory...it might be very slightly different).

For example obviously Albatross was a hit. But a track that was released as a single and didn't crack the top 40 wasn't.

You might like to tighten the definition as to which country you are in...for the USA it would be the main Billboard chart, for example, but a hit is still usually defined as "top 40"

The Guinness Book of Hit Singles is a good starting point.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^Indeed. Makes sense: "...the main Billboard chart, for example, but a hit is still usually defined as "top 40"..." which is exactly what was posted in the other thread.

I am not familiar with UK standards nor would they apply for US only singles.

Last edited by CADreaming; 02-23-2012 at 09:37 AM..