User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-27-2011, 11:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default No, no, John, it's all in your mind

This is how Mick tells about the previous days of the Rumours sessions, finishin 1975 tour and when all couples were breaking up.

The whole band. Chris and John's seven-year marriage was already over by then. Stevie and Lindsey's relationship, four years old, dissolved when Stevie walked out. And Jenny and I . . .

The McVies' marriage cracked apart for good while we were living in a rented house in Florida, having taken some time off from touring. We decided to use the vacation to rehearse and write for the next album. It was a strange house, a run-down place with overgrown grass and frogs in the green swimming pool in which we half expected to see William Holden floating facedown. There was barbed wire around the property and a rather odd atmosphere. Our big equipment trucks were pulled up in the driveway, and we stayed there with the readies and their girlfriends. "Go Your Own Way" and a couple other songs were written there.

John and Chris were only nominally married at that point. Actually, she'd been seeing our lighting director, Curry Grant, in secret while we were on the road. John suspected something was going on. He'd say to me, "He's doing her, you know." And I'd say, "No, no, no, John, it's all in your mind." Soon Curry started having trouble with the rest of the crew; they saw what was happening and didn't like it. It got so Curry couldn't ride in the van with the rest of them. Colonel Courage would berate the readies, and they'd say they hated Curry 'cause he was messing around with Christine. So the colonel and I confronted her, and she told us it was true. John was very upset, and we fired Curry because it was disrupting the band. Chris was told it had to be that way, and she understood.

That was our attitude. No matter how awful things became, the band had to come first. It was do or die. But it made touring very, very hard. John and I became very close to each other again because our marriages were both failing. We rode around the U.S.A. in our station wagons and talked and talked. That's how we got through. When that part of the tour was over, Chris moved out of the house she and John had bought in Topanga. After Chris left, John lived there with another lady, but it didn't work out. By then, John didn't fancy the idea of living in a house anyway. When we were all living in England at Benifols, he and Bob Welch used to go to the boat shows in Portsmouth and Southampton. So when we got back, John went down to Marina Del Rey, bought a fiberglass ketch he named Adelie (after his favorite family of penguins), and lived on it for a year.