Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-30-2010, 10:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's the same with Venice, you can hear our harmonies throughout all these different eras. When we were playing at all of the clubs around town, we always had a big following. And then we would write some more, try and get a record deal and then we wouldn't get a record deal and we'd be frustrated. We were always encouraged by having support from fans. So although it may seem like we were in a black hole for the first 10 or 15 years of our band, we were still doing a lot of fun gigs, writing a lot and meeting people. Eventually, in '88 we met a guy who was the manager of Stevie Nicks, a guy named Glen Parrish. He actually saw me sitting in with somebody else, it's so weird of how the domino effect of what you do in your life [plays out]. I just happened to have nothing to do on a Tuesday night and a friend of mine was singing over in the marina. Do you remember a singer named Kenny James that was on Star Search?

Yeah, absolutely.

Great singer. He and I had become friends and he said "why don't you come down" and I was like "yeah sure." So I went down and sat in with him and did a couple of songs. Stevie [Nicks] and Glen Parrish happened to be there, it was just one of those stupid things. From that, he said "let me come see your band" and then he came and saw the band and he brought Stevie. And then everything just took off - he managed us and that's when we got our first deal. But even then, we never really hit the big time. We got our first deal, but it was a subsidiary label of Atlantic, it wasn't actually Atlantic.

[And it's at this point that my recorder ran out of juice (arrrgh!), something that I noticed a minute later, quickly switching to an alternate recorder. During the missing part of the conversation, Kipp segued from talking about their lack of initial success to the surprise success they would find several years later in Holland.]

http://addictedtovinyl.com/blog/2010...non-of-venice/