User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-12-2002, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up The Upside

Being that there's been quite a bit of perceived "putting down" of Stevie in a couple of threads (granted, I'm one, I admit), let me start a thread dealing with the "up side" of Stevie and her contibutions to Fleetwood Mac. And, please, no choir preaching.

Umm...uh.... hmmm....can't think of anything...

(seriously, now)

That she studied the HISTORY of the band before making a decision on whether she & Lindsey should join was just incredible! I think no matter how much I've grown to dislike her in the meantime, that will always be an endearing factor to me; that she RESEARCHED the roots of the band and how she (& Lindsey) could contribute to the band...to still be themselves AND to continue the "thread" that the band had going through it's ever changing personnel over the years.

That what she & Lindsey DID contribute initially, for as much of a change as it seemed at the time, STILL carried on the "sound" of the band...in retrospect, the "white album" seems like a logical follow-up to "Heroes Are Hard To Find", whereas in 1975, it seemed like a big left-turn. The band's new "sound" really wasn't any more "commercial" than that of previous incarnations, just that THIS lineup got the break, the previous one's didn't...space & time; and being in the right place at the right time.

However, what changed for the band was their live show...that first time seeing the "new" lineup in 1975 was amazing...the energy that Stevie brought to the live show was hypnotic.

Her strongest songs (IMHO):
Landslide
Rhiannon
Dreams
Gold Dust Woman
Sisters Of The Moon
Storms
Angel

After "Tusk" (and the subsequent tour) the vibe of the band changed so dramatically that even though it still was the "fireflies" it seemed like a different set of people. A different, less pleasing, dynamic came to the forefront. Instead of five people acting as a single entity, it seemed to be five individuals doing their best (and not always succeeding) to work together. The vibe seemed to be gone. But, for that initial 5+ year run, it was just MAGIC!