Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2005, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
Well, putting aside that last question, because I really doubt any of us wants to take this thread there, this still doesn't seem to have much to do with what I was talking about. Again, I certainly don't have anything against songs written from an overtly Christian perspective. It's the idea of a "genre" of "Christian" music that I find to be severely limiting.
I still don't understand how it is limiting to have a ministry of music? Most Christian artist feel like they have been called to a ministry of music. And I do hope that you realize that Christian music is one of the LARGEST growing genre's of music...it is by no means "limiting" if more keep gaining interest.

Quote:
Well, the lyrics aren't doing a whole lot for me, but written lyrics often don't. And a Sheryl Crow comparison isn't going to earn Ms. Groves any points with me, but as long as we're going to make this woman an example...

This doesn't look like a bad song, at least on paper. It also doesn't appear to be a religious song, at least any remotely overt way. So the question I find myself asking at this point is, if she writes "secular" songs like this, if she chooses to write about issues other than overt declarations of or meditations on her faith, then why does she label herself as a "Christian" artist? It's the existence of this "genre" that troubles me, and actually, I'm going to stop calling it a genre, because it's not one, it's a market. So why does she choose to restrict herself to this specific market? Why not attempt to expose other people outside the relatively small Christian culture that listens to "Christian" music to her art? Why do musicians like this find themselves to be so self-consciously Christian that they choose to label and pigeonhole themselves this way?

Again, there are simply dozens upon dozens of artists out there, and I think of more every minute, who are Christian and who write and/or perform religious songs, as well as writing and perofmring songs on other topics (as Ms. Groves seems to be doing here), but they don't label themselves as "Christian" and pigeonhole themselves into this very limiting, often bland and trite "genre"/market that separates itself almost entirely from the rest of the music industry and from most music fans. So why do other artists do this? What's the point?
Sara wrote that song after having a really big fight with her husband. She went into her room, sat at the piano, and just wrote! My point is that not all Christian artists’ songs mention the word God in them. It doesn't make them any less Christian. The reason they label themselves Christian artist is because THEY ARE CHRISTIAN and the majority of the music they write is about God's active role in their life, and also because of the record company they are with. For instance Sara is with Sponge Records which is a Christian label but she gets marketing support from Sony/Epic (so obviously Christian music is growing).

About the song and Sheryl Crow. Ok now let's turn the tables around...let’s say Sheryl Crow (or any other secular pop artist) recorded THIS song by Sara...tell me that their fans would turn on them saying they have gone "Christian"!!!

Compelled
Sara Groves

What a relief it is to know
I’m a slave to Christ
Of all the masters I have known
I’m compelled to live this life
Free for you

I’m on the other side of something
I’m on the other side of something

I have a new hope that blows away
The small hopes I knew before
And at the end of the day I am yours