Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2004, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Her single did the terrible compared to the others and her next album had one single (that wasn't int he top ten) and only sold gold. Are we forgetting that each of her albums got less and less successful? Her schtick was growing old with the public, Le Stew.

Yeah, sort of how they got burned out on Stevie's over-the-top ridiculousness in the eighties. I suspect that Family Man failed because it was the last single and was released quite awhile after the album was released. It still doesn't lend any credence to the belief that Stevie was still as popular as ever.
Trust me, diss... I'm not at all denying that Stevie's popularity waned.
As everyone is well aware, I follow all of the statistics, album sales, etc., and it's very easy to see that Stevie was not selling as well as she had in the early 80s, and that her singles weren't dominating the airwaves the way they used to.

The only thing I was trying to comment on, is the claim that the drop in popularity and sales is somehow a dependable indicator that her material was of a lesser quality.
We all know for a fact that you can release the best album of your life... Lindsey's 'Out Of The Cradle' is an excellent example of that... and still not be very popular or sell a lot of copies.

Now, in saying this (because one always has to qualify these types of statements around here, otherwise your intention is misconstrued), I'm NOT saying that albums like 'The Other Side Of The Mirror' and 'Street Angel' were the best albums of Stevie's career.
I'm merely stating that low sales are not an indicator of low quality, and shouldn't be used to suggest so.

I was also trying to remind folks that EVERY artist goes through a decline in popularity. You fall out of fashion, or people get burned out on you, and that's that.
The lucky and most talented of the bunch, come back from that eventually.