User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-26-2015, 03:23 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Mirage: The Most Underrated Pop Record

I know that this discussion has been raised many times, however I have been playing the Mirage album non-stop lately.

Out of all five "classic era" albums, Mirage has always been my least favourite (and probably still is). The reason for my ambivalence to the album has always been the fact that it is the furthest thing FM ever did from being a rock band. However, as I have been listening to it over the last few days it dawned on me that it is perhaps the most underrated pop album ever made.

The first half of the record consists six perfectly crafted pop creations. In fact, I'd say that Lindsey's two most underrated pop songs are present on this side ("Can't Go Back" and "Book Of Love"). Stevie's contributions are sublime; "Gypsy", of course, is in a world of its own and, alongside "Everywhere", I think it's the best example of Lindsey's pop production with the band. Christine's "Love In Store" is simply stunning and presents some of the best harmonies the band ever did. And while "Only Over You" may be the weakest number among the first six, on close listen there is a lot of studio beauty used (along with Christine's beautiful vocal singing with Lindsey's guitar).

The second half is somewhat inconsistent and does not flow nearly as well, however each song does have its merits. Lindsey's contributions of "Empire State" and "Eyes Of The World" are perfect examples of the quirkiness that he was still trying to incorporate within the group (flashbacks to "Tusk" for sure). The less said about "Oh Diane" the better (never liked it, never will). I've always thought that "Goodbye Angel" should have without a doubt been included over "Oh Diane." Stevie's "Straight Back" may be her most underrated Mac song, and is the track I first gravitated to from the album (mostly because of its rock style). "Straight Back" also gives us a rare Stevie/Christine vocal mashup - a combo the band rarely ever used, much to my disappointment. Christine's "Hold Me" is, again, a perfect example of how brilliant of a pop writer she is. Like much of her material, the song is deceivingly simplistic (lyrically and musically there is a lot going on). I always enjoy when the Mac used a piano part from Christine as the basis for a track, like in "Hold Me." "Wish You Were Here" is a somewhat "safe" track and has never been one of my favourites. However, the final minute is beautiful and I am glad that the song did not make it to the point in the 80s where it would have been bombarded with synthesized strings and massive overproduction.

Overall, the popiest album the band ever made. However, I do not think it deserves to be neglected in the bands history as much as it has been. When Lindsey was being interviewed at USC I really wished that the interview would have spent some time talking about the Mirage sessions as there is so much musical merit to what the band did on the album.

While I will probably never put Mirage anywhere near the other four albums, I am glad that I have finally come around to appreciating what the band was doing; a perfect pop album that at times showcases the perfection FM was capable of in the studio.

Last edited by Andy Man; 07-26-2015 at 03:25 PM..