Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-21-2014, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubrick2788 View Post
If she is in fact recording a new solo album I would like The Dealer to finally be recorded and released. It's one of the more enjoyable (and good groove) demos she has lying around. Chris can play some funky piano for it and Stevie's voice could still do it justice. That is really all I have to say about this one. I'll listen to whatever she comes up with, but IYD was a bit of a mixed bag for me. Anything that is inspired by Twilight, no matter how small a part of the whole it is, cannot be too good.
To me, Stevie reviving a demo that old just shouldn't be done. I don't think she did any favors by resurrecting Smile At You, The Tower (Goodbye Baby), or Lady From The Mountain (Moonlight). All those songs either lost their original potency, sound silly with an older woman singing a young woman's songs, or just plain aren't relevant. Plus to me, the Dealer is more of a classic Stevie solo song than a Mac one.

The one older demo that comes to mind which could be brought into the 21st century is If You Were My Love. Still, after the way some of her other old demos turned out after their 21st century transformations, I'm not sure I even wish for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
What truly is a head scratcher to me, are people on this board (in this thread and others), who can't imagine, or actually fathom Dave Stewart co-producing - maybe two or three - Fleetwood Mac tracks. Rob Cavello & John Shanks co-produced tracks on SYW - their involvement didn't make the songs any less Fleetwood Mac-y Mitchell Froom co-produced "Sad Angel" & Miss Fantasy" on "Extended Play", and they sure as hell sounded just like Mac songs! Maybe fans need a reminder that Fleetwood Mac (and Lindsey) have a long history of bringing in co-producers (Richard Dashut, Ken Caillat, Keith Olsen, Elliot Scheiner, etc.) and that the FM world & sound did not come to an end.

And it was Dave Stewart, out of ALL of Stevie's solo producers, that brought Stevie back to her classic & most Mac-y sounding solo record. "Soldiers Angel" and "Annabel Lee" especially. And, yes, it should go without saying, that Stevie is able to branch out and record songs like "Italian Summer", "Everybody Loves You" & "Wide Sargasso Sea" solo, but within FM, I have no doubt they will be sticking to the what works within the confines of what the band is recording.
I've long advocated for the Mac to bring in an outside producer to augment Lindsey's work. I think the band was at it's best when they had Richard Dashut and/or Ken Caillat at their sides. I think they lost a vital part of their sound when they parted ways with those guys.

However, that doesn't mean I think just any old Joe can step up to the plate & fill their shoes. While I truly adore what Dave Stewart did with Stevie for In Your Dreams, I hold firm to my belief that he would do no favors for Fleetwood Mac. Bottom line, I just think Dave imparts a sound that is way too slick. Yes, I've listened to a coterie of the albums Dave has been involved with, and I still stand by that opinion. Dave's high polish on Stevie's songs adjacent to the songs Lindsey produced for himself and Christine just would sound lopsided. If they're going to bring in an outside producer, at least get him or her on everyone's songs.