Songs From The Small Machine Live in LA (2011) 8 32.00%
One Man Show (2012) 6 24.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindOfWoman90 View Post
I actually really like his voice now. I like that it's a bit rougher and definitely deeper. However, I actually think he still sounds more like he did say 10 years ago than Stevie does unfortunately. I'm not saying she doesn't sound good, but it seems like Lindsey has a bit more range than she does as of right now.
I wouldn't doubt Lindsey has more of a range than Stevie now -- but not more of a range than he used to have. He's even admitted that - again that's just aging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I definitely think that Lindsey's younger voice was more flexible, limber and that he could move up and down the scale while still holding the key rather effortlessly. I appreciated the gymnastic talent he had then (just as I appreciated Stevie's vocal athleticism circa Wild Heart) and I did love his higher voice, although I enjoy the way he sounds today and think it such an improvement over the SYW era that I'm thrilled and impressed whenever I hear him and remember back.

Your comments make me wonder how Chris would have been live. Her voice sounded deeper and rich on Meantime, but there were signs of . . .you know how you can hear an old tree bend in the wind . . . well you could sense that in her sound, just a tiny creak, which added emotion to the record, but I wonder how that would stand up on tour.

Lindsey is great on tour because even though he sings (often screams) fearlessly and you think he's going to have to pay for it eventually, he doesn't. I don't know the difference between singing from your diaphragm or singing from your navel, but even though he might be using more disciplined vocal techniques in the old days than he used to, and they pay off endurance wise, I don't sense that they restrain him. Whereas, I do think Stevie restrains herself.
I think it's more of a singing from your throat. At least with me, that's what coaches always had to work on getting me not to do. It's hard - especially when you're singing out - but that's when you strain those vocal chords the worst, I believe. Probably that's what happened with Stevie in the younger days - she screamed too much and just stripped 'em. Plus, trying to sing over blaring guitars... it's all your fault Linds!

Wow - I don't think his voice is better than SYW - but I didn't get to see any live shows. I really think he was at his peak - both vocally & musically during the SYW/UTS/GOS years.

Interesting note about Christine. I've wondered if she's still got the chops. Honestly, if she hasn't continued singing at home, she may not have been able to tour recently even if she had wanted to. I hate it that the glory days are over.

Quote:
As far as him being less meticulous in his later years, this last year has disappointed me. I'd love to see him tour without a band again, but I hope he ditches both ISA and (sacrilege!) GYOW. I really loved the ISA vocals and actually found them a refreshing take which made me rethink the song's meaning all over again, but musically, after 33 years of live shows, solo and FM, I've never seen the latter, instrumental part of the song fail to peak the way it did this last tour and the same thing with GYOW. With ISA, Lindsey even physically (not just musically) seemed less dynamic to me. So, going forward, if he's alone again, I hope he's not afraid to drop those songs or rework them drastically.
You know, I really did enjoy ISA live - even this version with the clicking. It's always been a real showcase piece I think, but there are so many other versions of it that are just stellar, this one fails to represent and it is probably the absence of the full band - I think this one sounds best with FM.

Quote:
I'm glad to have the OMS. I want every single tour documented and I mourn Gift of Screws, because I think the performance of the title track alone, short as it was, was worth the price of admission to those shows. I want a DVD of that. So, I'm very grateful to have OMS and I'm glad he was on the road anyway, rather than being at home and out of the public eye, but it was my least favorite tour and listening to it reminds me why.

Michele
I'm definitely glad to have OMS for documentation sake and the points I listed earlier. It's just not my favorite. And, I totally agree with you - I hate that GOS was not recorded live - it was the first solo show I saw and I really enjoyed that album and that period of time in his career.

Last edited by CADreaming; 01-11-2013 at 02:16 PM..