Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-2011, 07:42 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default A feijoada for Jeremy Spencer

From Jeremy's blog:
Quote:
first went to Brazil in 1975 at the behest of a musician friend, Samuel Halbert, a Texan country singer who was doing missionary work there at the time. We recorded an album together with Os Meninos de Deus called Amor Nunca Falha, and it fared fair. At least, the outstanding track, ‘Eu Vou Seguir’ made it to numero um in Portugal, written and sung by Fernando Adour, the Polydor producer who had befriended us. A fun-loving Brazilian who I enjoyed working with on music.

While there, Sam introduced me to Feijao or Feijoada, the staple Brazilian dish of black beans and rice (and sundry other ingredients!). At first, I couldn’t stand it, and wondered what all the fuss was about. He told me that the second or third time is the charm. That proved to be true and to this day, Brazilian black beans and rice (with all the trimmings) has been my birthday meal of choice.

It reminds me of a funny song I would hear playing from the sound systems in the restaurants and houses of Rio de Janeiro at the time!

Mais agua no feijao, que cegou mais um,

Que chegou mais um,

Que chegou mais um!

The song encapsulated the Brazilian custom to stretch the boiling beans for any unexpected visitors, by saying:

More water on the beans, someone else has come

Someone else has come!
http://blog.jeremyspencer.com/

Feijoada recipe: http://www.copacabana.info/feijoada.html

To be honest, I’m shamelessly trying to get Jeremy’s attention for a few questions.

Being Brazilian, I was surprised to know Mr. Spencer has spent some time in my country. So, Jeremy, if you read this, would you mind telling us a little about your Brazilian experience? How long you have been in Brazil? Which cities you come to know? What are your impressions about the country? And about brazilian music? Do you like it? Any brazilian musician in particular? Hope you make some gigs here some time in the future.

Thanks in advance.