Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2011, 09:20 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default How did you get in Peter Green’s music?

I’m sure this thread was made before, but it’s a classic topic and hopefully there’s a long time from the last one. If is not the case, please, anyone feel free to point me to the appropriated thread.

Anyway, in my case, it all began around 1993, when I started dating my wife. I made friends with my soon to be brother in law and with one of his friends as well. This guy had lent the 68’s Fleetwood Mac LP to my brother in law and we three would listen to it time and again.

The funny thing is that none of us knew anything about the band. We love the sound, but there’s no info available. The original album cover was long lost and the LP was inside AC/DC’s High Voltage album cover. More on that later.

Around the same time I was developing a taste for blues music, especially Chicago Blues as my nickname betrays, so The Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac sound clicked just nicely. I made a tape of the recording that I would carry everywhere. It was part of the sound track of many parties, barbecues and the like.

In that period, the CD format was in the imminence of totally replacing the LP and the internet was becoming popular. In both cases I resisted a bit before jumping in the bandwagon, but made it eventually around 1995. That’s when I started learning about the band, who are the musicians, what happened to Peter etc..
It was also when I bought my first FM CD’s, the 1971’s “The Original Fleetwood Mac” and soon after a compilation called “The Hits Of Fleetwood Mac”, which was basically “The Pious Bird of Good Omen” with a reordered track list, missing a couple of Danny Kirwan songs and including two Chicken Shack songs, “I’d Rather To Go Blind” and “Crazy bout You Baby”. I also bought a compilation album titled “British Blues Invasion” with some FM tracks, notably the live versions of “Green Manalishi” and “Black Magic Woman” that blew my mind.

It would take a couple of years more before I could find a CD version of the album that started it all for me, the aforementioned 68’s FM. Something I was eager to have. Once again, it was my brother in law’s buddy that helped. Some time ago we talked each other that whoever finds a CD of this particular album would buy a copy for the other. My friend found it in a big department store. Seems some recording company was selling a lot of obscure albums in a cheap promotional Christmas edition, with some Xmas tree-like blinking red lights in the CD pack (lol). The rest, as they say, is history. Since then I was able to get a lot of albums from the original line-up Mac and Peter’s solo efforts.

The LP I mentioned before has a good history behind it. It was originally bought by a woman from my hometown that has a love for classical rock and blues. I was told that this lady, whom I never met, had a huge LP collection. Seems that her house was invaded by water in a flood and a lot of albums were damaged or lost. Probably that’s why the album cover went missing. I was told one could see a lot of LPs being carried by the flood. Just to imagine this scene pains my heart. Oh well… This lady was dating with my friend’s older brother and gave him some of the LP’s that survived, including the cover-less FM. When he started to date another woman, older brother gave the albums to my friend and that’ how eventually I came to know Peter’s music.

So, in a sense, my love for Peter’s music was originated by a flood.