Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Rolling Stone Q&A (October 9, 2014)

Thanks to Megan for the scan.

Doesn't appear to be on RS's website yet so I guess I'll type it up.

Stevie Nicks
On the Fleetwood Mac reunion, her solo LP, and why she can't stop writing about Lindsey Buckingham
By Rob Sheffield

You can't keep a gold-dust woman down - and Stevie Nicks is one busy gypsy these days. Her excellent new album, 24 Karat Gold - Songs From The Vault, features tunes she has written over the years but never recorded before, reaching back to 1969. This fall she hits the road again with Fleetwood Mac - this time with Christine McVie back in the fold after 16 years away. "The five original cast members," Nicks says proudly. "Of all the elite bands of the Seventies, we're the only one touring with the same lineup we had in 1975."

So you go back on the road with Fleetwood Mac - a week before you release your solo album?
Yeah, I'm running two careers at the same time. But I don't walk into Fleetwood Mac rehearsals and expound upon the record I just made, because I am a smart woman. When the time comes to hear it, they'll like it. Lindsey will love it - half of the songs are about him!

Lindsey likes that?
Well, of course! We have continually written about each other, and we'll probably keep writing about each other until we're dead. We have been through great successes, great misunderstandings, a great musical connection. He has more appreciation for that now. I think it's because he has two little daughters and a lovely wife, so he's really in Girl World now. He's more aware of a feminine point of view.

When you did Stand Back on the last tour, I counted 18 twirls during the guitar solo. Are you ever tempted to just stand there and take it easy onstage?
Well, I'm very practiced at twirling. I took a lot of ballet. The reason I wear the ponchos and the big shawl-y chiffon things is because I realized from a very young age that if you're five foot one and aren't twirling a baton of fire, you need something that is gonna make you be seen from far away.

I do this dance during Gold Dust Woman - we call it the Crackhead Dance. It's me being some of the drug addicts I knew, and probably being myself, too - just being that girl lost on the streets, freaked out. When Christine saw it, she said, "Wow, we've always known that Gold Dust Woman' was about the serious drug days, but this really depicts how frightening it was for all of us." We were dancing on the edge for years.

What's it like playing with with the whole Mac again?
We have to start from scratch. The Christine songs feel brand-new to us after 16 years. It's not like we have record parties and listen to our old stuff.

Did you ever think Christine McVie would come back?
Never. We re-formed with The Dance in 1997, but that only lasted a year before Christine flipped out and said, "I just can't do this anymore. I'm having panic attacks." She sold her house and car and piano and moved back to England, never really to be heard from again. Then last year she called me and said, "This is crazy. I don't need to sit in this castle 40 miles outside London watching gardening shows. I'm ready to come back to the world." So I said, "Get a trainer."

One of the great moments in the Mac live show is when the roadie brings out your top hat for the encore. Does the hat have its own roadie?
Absolutely. It's a very special top hat - it's from the 1920s and you can't find another one like it. So the hat has its own roadie, its own box and its own cage. It's always protected.

People really lose it when you sing, 'I'm getting older too," in Landslide. Yet you were so young when you wrote that song.
I was only 27. I wrote that in 1973, a year before I joined Fleetwood Mac. You can feel really old at 27.

There are so many young rock artists who are obviously hardcore fans of yours - Sharon Van Etten and White Lung and Sky Ferreira.
It's sweet how that happens. It's crazy to think about all these people listening who weren't born back then. We put Seven Wonders back in the set because of American Horror Story. Our monitor guy said, "I'm not familiar with that song." I said, "Because it came out when you were two."

You're like David Bowie that way - every generation discovers you.
Well, I'm a big fan of David Bowie. Especially his movie The Hunger, with Susan Sarandon and Catherine Deneuve. Just creepy and strange and amazingly beautiful. I'm always surprised Bowie didn't make more vampire movies.

My favorite song of yours is 'Ooh My Love', from 1989. People always forget that one.
That's one of my favorites, too. In fact, The Other Side of the Mirror is probably my favorite album. It was a really intense record. I had gotten away from the cocaine in 1986. I spent a year writing those songs. I was drug-free, and I was happy.

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 09-26-2014, 08:49 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
Thanks to Megan for the scan.

Doesn't appear to be on RS's website yet so I guess I'll type it up.

Stevie Nicks
On the Fleetwood Mac reunion, her solo LP, and why she can't stop writing about Lindsey Buckingham
By Rob Sheffield

You can't keep a gold-dust woman down - and Stevie Nicks is one busy gypsy these days. Her excellent new album, 24 Karat Gold - Songs From The Vault, features tunes she has written over the years but never recorded before, reaching back to 1969. This fall she hits the road again with Fleetwood Mac - this time with Christine McVie back in the fold after 16 years away. "The five original cast members," Nicks says proudly. "Of all the elite bands of the Seventies, we're the only one touring with the same lineup we had in 1975."

So you go back on the road with Fleetwood Mac - a week before you release your solo album?
Yeah, I'm running two careers at the same time. But I don't walk into Fleetwood Mac rehearsals and expound upon the record I just made, because I am a smart woman. When the time comes to hear it, they'll like it. Lindsey will love it - half of the songs are about him!

Lindsey likes that?
Well, of course! We have continually written about each other, and we'll probably keep writing about each other until we're dead. We have been through great successes, great misunderstandings, a great musical connection. He has more appreciation for that now. I think it's because he has two little daughters and a lovely wife, so he's really in Girl World now. He's more aware of a feminine point of view.

When you did Stand Back on the last tour, I counted 18 twirls during the guitar solo. Are you ever tempted to just stand there and take it easy onstage?
Well, I'm very practiced at twirling. I took a lot of ballet. The reason I wear the ponchos and the big shawl-y chiffon things is because I realized from a very young age that if you're five foot one and aren't twirling a baton of fire, you need something that is gonna make you be seen from far away.

I do this dance during Gold Dust Woman - we call it the Crackhead Dance. It's me being some of the drug addicts I knew, and probably being myself, too - just being that girl lost on the streets, freaked out. When Christine saw it, she said, "Wow, we've always known that Gold Dust Woman' was about the serious drug days, but this really depicts how frightening it was for all of us." We were dancing on the edge for years.

What's it like playing with with the whole Mac again?
We have to start from scratch. The Christine songs feel brand-new to us after 16 years. It's not like we have record parties and listen to our old stuff.

Did you ever think Christine McVie would come back?
Never. We re-formed with The Dance in 1997, but that only lasted a year before Christine flipped out and said, "I just can't do this anymore. I'm having panic attacks." She sold her house and car and piano and moved back to England, never really to be heard from again. Then last year she called me and said, "This is crazy. I don't need to sit in this castle 40 miles outside London watching gardening shows. I'm ready to come back to the world." So I said, "Get a trainer."

One of the great moments in the Mac live show is when the roadie brings out your top hat for the encore. Does the hat have its own roadie?
Absolutely. It's a very special top hat - it's from the 1920s and you can't find another one like it. So the hat has its own roadie, its own box and its own cage. It's always protected.

People really lose it when you sing, 'I'm getting older too," in Landslide. Yet you were so young when you wrote that song.
I was only 27. I wrote that in 1973, a year before I joined Fleetwood Mac. You can feel really old at 27.

There are so many young rock artists who are obviously hardcore fans of yours - Sharon Van Etten and White Lung and Sky Ferreira.
It's sweet how that happens. It's crazy to think about all these people listening who weren't born back then. We put Seven Wonders back in the set because of American Horror Story. Our monitor guy said, "I'm not familiar with that song." I said, "Because it came out when you were two."

You're like David Bowie that way - every generation discovers you.
Well, I'm a big fan of David Bowie. Especially his movie The Hunger, with Susan Sarandon and Catherine Deneuve. Just creepy and strange and amazingly beautiful. I'm always surprised Bowie didn't make more vampire movies.

My favorite song of yours is 'Ooh My Love', from 1989. People always forget that one.
That's one of my favorites, too. In fact, The Other Side of the Mirror is probably my favorite album. It was a really intense record. I had gotten away from the cocaine in 1986. I spent a year writing those songs. I was drug-free, and I was happy.
Thanks for posting. Interesting that she says The Other Side of the Mirror is her favorite, but she's said the same about TISL and IYD so I wouldn't think to much of it.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:52 AM
Ledgie

Seven Wonders back in the set list!!! Yes!!
Old 09-26-2014, 09:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Your Dreams View Post
Seven Wonders back in the set list!!! Yes!!
And hopefully won't be dropped by the time my show comes around in December.
One of these days I'm going to have to go to the opening show. That way I won't miss anything and they'll be full of energy.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmaletic View Post
And hopefully won't be dropped by the time my show comes around in December.
I hope not either, but if I remember correctly, The Dance Tour (w/ Christine) was pretty tight through the tour...meaning I do not recall any song drops. I think they switched up a song, but that's it. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:42 AM
Senior Ledgie

"I do this dance during Gold Dust Woman - we call it the Crackhead Dance."
^^^
This is why I love this woman!!!! She never ceases to amaze me with some of the stuff that she comes up with! My husband and I have called this dance "The Possessed Stevie Dance" for years, and wondered what the other band members thought of it. Our favorite version ever is from the Las Vegas Dec. 30 2013 show. It's EPIC!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SALekLju-ck
Old 09-26-2014, 02:06 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu28 View Post
"I do this dance during Gold Dust Woman - we call it the Crackhead Dance."
^^^
This is why I love this woman!!!! She never ceases to amaze me with some of the stuff that she comes up with! My husband and I have called this dance "The Possessed Stevie Dance" for years, and wondered what the other band members thought of it. Our favorite version ever is from the Las Vegas Dec. 30 2013 show. It's EPIC!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SALekLju-ck
The "Crackhead Dance" comment is just so funny!

I was also at the Dec. 30, 2013 Las Vegas show and agree the GDW performance was memorable, and that show was full of other incredible moments.

Im thrilled that Seven Wonders is in the set!!!

Thanks to Nicole for posting this interview.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I realize that it has been said before but, OMG that outfit is HIDEOUS! Why, Stevie, Why? Fire your designer already. Such a beautiful woman with closets full of stunning (and expensive) clothes why would you be seen in that??? Not flattering at all!
Old 09-26-2014, 07:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_drifter333 View Post
I realize that it has been said before but, OMG that outfit is HIDEOUS! Why, Stevie, Why? Fire your designer already. Such a beautiful woman with closets full of stunning (and expensive) clothes why would you be seen in that??? Not flattering at all!
I agree. That top -- I get the goal- cover up some of the fullness we get with age, but man it's SOOOO big and frilly it creates the very impression that it's trying to camouflage, and then some. Makes her look like she's fat under that, and she's not. It could be tailored better on the side seams. Or under the bust, so it doesn't look like her bustling is gone. But, maybe she likes it.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default "Ooh My Love"

"Ooh My Love" is one of my favorite songs. Me too, Stevie. So let's include it in your next solo tour and make us both happy. Can't believe this song was even mentioned - and in Rolling Stone.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_drifter333 View Post
I totally agree, this outfit reminds of a cinema with the long satin drapes, just as the main film starts the curtains slowly draw back...........that is what the trousers/leggings look like to me. The top is layered frou-frou tiers presumably to cover too many puddings.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

i don't even know what to comment about this
i crack up every time i read another line from her.

glad Mirror is getting some love.

and a cage for her tophat ...

she's like everyone's crazy old aunt
Old 09-26-2014, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

wow. Wish I would have known there was a setlist spoiler in that article but oh well. I'm really shocked and happy that Seven Wonders is back. It was only ever played on the Tango tour. Hopefully it will stay...

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 09-26-2014, 10:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, I'm really excited about Seven Wonders. That's pretty neat.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Interesting that she says she was happy during OSOTM, because the songs aren't are among some of her darkest.

Of course it's entirely possible a lot of that material was written over the couple of years (or more) before she actually went into the studio.