User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Atmosphere for Live Christine Songs

So, this may be an interesting topic.

We all have heard Christine's songs live and in an actual setlist, but hw will they change up the atmosphere now that most of the population didn't realize Christine was in the band.
I hope I'm making sense. I mean how will the arena feel listening to a Lindsey song, or Stevie, and then head into "Little Lies"? (hopefully) Or, even "Over My Head", it's definitely a curve ball. But, of course, I'm sure it's been done before for many years, I guess I just haven't experienced it myself. Soon shall though!!!

Let me know if this should be transitioned to the "Rumours" forum.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sywlindseyfan View Post

We all have heard Christine's songs live and in an actual setlist, but hw will they change up the atmosphere now that most of the population didn't realize Christine was in the band.
I hope I'm making sense. I mean how will the arena feel listening to a Lindsey song, or Stevie, and then head into "Little Lies"? (hopefully) Or, even "Over My Head", it's definitely a curve ball. But, of course, I'm sure it's been done before for many years, I guess I just haven't experienced it myself. Soon shall though!!!

There will be changes, certainly.

But I disagree with your assumption that "most of the population didn't realize she was in the band." I would say most of the population ONLY imagines FM as those five people.

Unless what you're saying is most of the population didn't realize she was rejoining?
Old 11-30-2013, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Christine will fit right back into Fleetwood Mac like an old glove. I've seen the band twice sans Chris and I always hear people talking about her - I would definitely not say most people didn't think she was in the band.

I can't wait to see how the set evolves with Chris back in, however, my Fleetwood Mac knowing self imagines a hypothetical new set with a returned Christine McVie will end up looking an awful lot like The Dance tour.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
There will be changes, certainly.

But I disagree with your assumption that "most of the population didn't realize she was in the band." I would say most of the population ONLY imagines FM as those five people.

Unless what you're saying is most of the population didn't realize she was rejoining?
Thank you for asking for clarifications. I might have been getting a little too dramatic. What I was trying to convey was that I felt that general music listeners didn't miss Christine and her songs or even realized she was gone.

BUT! those are dramatic assumptions just because I believe only myself and ledgies are true mac fns and know everything about everything. lol If i am unbiased, I would tend to agree with you, people know FM as the five fireflies. Right you are.!
Old 11-30-2013, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

BUT! those are dramatic assumptions just because I believe only myself and ledgies are true mac fns and know everything about everything. lol If i am unbiased, I would tend to agree with you, people know FM as the five fireflies. Right you are.!
I don't know if most people have an idea who is actually in the band, other than Stevie. But it will be no more of a surprise to them to hear Little Lies than to hear Dreams. Chris' songs are known to them, even if she is not.

Michele
Old 11-30-2013, 10:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I don't know if most people have an idea who is actually in the band, other than Stevie. But it will be no more of a surprise to them to hear Little Lies than to hear Dreams. Chris' songs are known to them, even if she is not.

Michele
By golly Michelle, you hit it right on the nail. Would you say that Christine brings another kind of mood to the audience? It's definitely different than Stevie's and Lindsey's musical vibes, I would say. I have never experienced Chris live, so, what would anyone who has seen Fleetwood Mac with Chris say the atmosphere is like with her presence. Does she bring the bluesy vibe? Sultriness? Funky band vibe?
Old 11-30-2013, 11:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I would say I have never experienced Chris live, so, what would anyone who has seen Fleetwood Mac with Chris say the atmosphere is like with her presence. Does she bring the bluesy vibe? Sultriness? Funky band vibe?
There's a general mellowness to Chris' songs when she sings them live. One of her songs usually follows are harder edged song by the other two so when you hear her you tend to be lulled again.

It felt a bit more upbeat when she sang Isn't It Midnight on the Tango Tour but then again most of those songs performed by all the singers were quite upbeat back then.

I like the way she performed Don't Stop on the Tusk Tour. She played a rocking piano solo on it at one point each night of that tour. World Turning is always upbeat for Chris as was her accordian Tusk song performance.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have never experienced Chris live, so, what would anyone who has seen Fleetwood Mac with Chris say the atmosphere is like with her presence. Does she bring the bluesy vibe? Sultriness? Funky band vibe?
Well, <g> she's not sultry or funky. She can be bluesy, but not really with this line up. Now, for me Christine's songs, and her presence, always makes it seem more like a band. More like a group of 5, giving us a concerted effort. Now, they all sing back up for each other, but there's something about the way Stevie and Lindsey come in and sing back up on Christine's songs that makes me feel like they're all one. But she makes me feel like that when she plays accordion on Tusk too, as Viv mentioned.

When she left, Lindsey said that they were careful not to change the arrangements too much. Even though there were just 2 of them, he didn't want them to duet and start doing just two part songs with Christine gone. He said he still wanted it to sound orchestral, still wanted it to sound like FM rather than a duo. Now, he said this 10 years ago and I think since then he has gotten to the point where he WAS about to try to get it more to what BN was like, but that wasn't his initial goal in 2003, when they first went out without Chris.

Still, even though they were striving for that full, orchestral vibe, even with Sharon and Lori (and Jana) there, I didn't feel it. Christine makes me feel more like they're five performers combining, rather than just Stevie and Lindsey doing heaven knows what. Christine's songs, OMH, SYLM and YMLF bring the quintet out of them, as does her being on the floor for Tusk or World Turning or even NTF or ISA (although she's not there for the entirety of those songs). I feel like they're more a part of each other than when she's not there.

These people are famous for their harmonies, but when you hear Rhiannon live today, you don't really think of harmony at all. When Chris was there, you did. If you look at (listen to) Lindsey singing the Chain with Little Big Town and you look at the current FM (quartet without Christine) singing The Chain together, to me that kind of illustrates the difference between a group/band and whatever it is that the foursome are.

I love the foursome, but not as much as I love the five.

Michele
Old 12-25-2013, 06:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
What I was trying to convey was that I felt that general music listeners didn't miss Christine and her songs or even realized she was gone.
???
Old 12-25-2013, 11:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Is this an "IDK" response or an I don't understand what you are saying response. haha
Old 11-30-2013, 04:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post

I would say that unless you've become a fan since 2003, you didn't realize she wasn't there. I mean you just go there and sit down and they play a song you know. For myself, I went when Tusk was out and I knew Sara and I didn't really know that other popular songs actually belonged to Fleetwood Mac, but when they started playing them, I was familiar with them and I just sang along.

So, you see how Don't Stop fit in with the rest of the setlist. I think that's basically how most of Christine's songs will fit in, upon her return.

Michele
Old 01-03-2014, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Not sure... I personally haven't seen them live with her sadly but I took my mom and cousin to the Toronto show and my mom kept asking me "Where's the other blonde."
I had to tell her there was only one now :/ Then I had to explain to her that she just moved back to England for a long break before she starting assuming the worst.
There were evening a few people older than me in line for mercy that asked me why she wasn't on any of the tees (probably because i was head to toe in black chiffon and I looked like a mini Stevie myself back then when I had my blond hair)
I think it will be much different. As Lindsey has said, since she's left they've made it into more of a rock band and if Christine came back it'd be different because the member that added that taste of pop and blues to it so I think if she does there will be massive changes.
Hopefully positive minor changes
Old 01-03-2014, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewingdove View Post
As Lindsey has said, since she's left they've made it into more of a rock band and if Christine came back it'd be different because the member that added that taste of pop and blues to it so I think if she does there will be massive changes.
Hopefully positive minor changes
i don't know. Lindsey said forever that FM on stage is a rock band, while their albums are mostly glossy pop. it was always like that, with Christine or not (with the exception of SYW album, i guess - which average FM fans don't really like that much). and even with the 4, most of Stevie's songs they perform are either ballads or adult contemporary-ish while his are more of a rocking pop or slightly punkish. so there's a huge dichotomy there with the 4 too. i don't see that it will be that big of a change with the addition of Christine's songs, but it will also depend on which songs they choose to add.

that said, that's why i prefer LB solo to FM... other than SOTM and silver springs, i really didn't enjoy much of the SN songs, even though i love GDW and landslide in general. i got bored with the current version of mac live. LB solo shows, especially OMS, i never got bored with, no matter how many times i've seen the same show. there was always something new and exciting to discover, and there was so much more music served to a fan in the course of each show.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-04-2014, 12:24 AM

With or without Christine, they are not really a heavy rock band. Lindsey isn't the most masculine music writer either. But I think that's what makes the chemistry so great. They all blend well together.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
With or without Christine, they are not really a heavy rock band. Lindsey isn't the most masculine music writer either. But I think that's what makes the chemistry so great. They all blend well together.
nope. after all, Neale is the one who wrote Come.

for the most part, they are not even rock band, let alone heavy.

i think Lindsey considers himself pop, but the stuff i like from him is either folkish, punkish, or rock, or those songs of his based on cascading fingerpicking guitar. i can't stand Trouble (with the exception of it's quirky start). or most of his Mirage or Tango songs. there's a lot of LB's music i don't really like, but the stuff i do like i love so much that it way outweighs the other stuff. while confused at first with his musical diversity of styles i can appreciate his having that huge range now.

Christine is pop master. she is the McCartney of that band. of course, i prefer Lennon. which nobody is in FM. or Harrison.

when i first heard Greatest Hits i was disappointed. i expected FM to be more Peter Green-era like. GH is Christine-heavy. pure happy pop. nothing wrong with that but not what i expected or wanted from FM. i couldn't believe that's the same band as the one with Albatross and Oh Well (well, it really is not). i bought GH back in 1992 maybe, listened to it a few times searching for something to like, couldn't believe what i was hearing, hated it and put it down. i was young. i enjoyed grunge. in 2009 when i finally decided to dive into LB's music after hearing Second Hand News over and over on the radio i listened to GH again, and enjoyed it. all those bubbly Christine songs made me happy. and a bit nostalgic, from hearing them all those years before, i guess.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"