Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-26-2006, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Sen. Kerry calls for filibuster of Alito

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/01/26/alito/index.html

Unclear if Massachusetts Democrat has votes needed to block nominee

Thursday, January 26, 2006; Posted: 4:23 p.m. EST (21:23 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Sen. John Kerry has decided to support a filibuster to block the nomination of Judge Samuel Alito to the Supreme Court, CNN's Congressional Correspondent Ed Henry reported Thursday.

Kerry, in Davos, Switzerland, to attend the World Economic Forum, was marshaling support in phone calls during the day, Henry said.

He announced his decision Wednesday to a group of Democratic senators, urging they join him, Henry said. Kerry also has the support of his fellow Massachusetts senator, Democrat Edward Kennedy.

Some senior Democrats said they are worried that the move could backfire.

Republicans need 60 votes to overturn a filibuster.

Senior White House officials said the move makes the Democrats look bad, and Republicans already have enough votes to overcome any filibuster attempt.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Can I get a HELL YEAH!!! Making us "look bad" is bullsh*t. It's that kind of thinking that has had the D party whimpering with its tail between its legs for too long! Now y'all write your senators telling them how much you support the fillibuster!
Old 01-26-2006, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Fukc those stupid republicans and fukc that piece of **** Alito.

Filibuster that motherfukcer!!!!
Old 01-26-2006, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tower

Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to happen. Alito has picked up at least 2 democrat votes -- Byrd (WVa) is one. I can't remember the other, and I can't find the article right now. And Reid is being a wuss -- he's said they won't fillibuster.

The Dems have no balls. We're not going to win back seats this year at this rate. They're letting every opportunity slip through their fingers because they are a bunch of wimps who back down at the first sign of a Republican attack on them.

made by dissention
Old 01-26-2006, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Go for it. Who knows, stranger things have heppened.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer99
Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to happen. Alito has picked up at least 2 democrat votes -- Byrd (WVa) is one.
They need 60 votes for cloture. Snow, Collins, possibly Stevens and Chafee should all vote with the Dems. Just because a senator votes for Alito, it doesn't mean they have to vote for cloture, either. This is going to be very interesting. The cloture vote comes at 4:30 pm Monday.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
They need 60 votes for cloture. Snow, Collins, possibly Stevens and Chafee should all vote with the Dems.
Snowe and Collins have already said they won't filibuster. They are both good on some key issues, but at the end of the day, they are Republicans.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
They need 60 votes for cloture. Snow, Collins, possibly Stevens and Chafee should all vote with the Dems. Just because a senator votes for Alito, it doesn't mean they have to vote for cloture, either. This is going to be very interesting. The cloture vote comes at 4:30 pm Monday.
They may not have enough votes for cloture, but I don't think there are more than a few Dems that will go for a filibuster. I think the ones that do support it will back down, and the notion will die before Monday. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't believe it'll happen.

made by dissention
Old 01-26-2006, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer99
Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to happen. Alito has picked up at least 2 democrat votes -- Byrd (WVa) is one. I can't remember the other, and I can't find the article right now. And Reid is being a wuss -- he's said they won't fillibuster.

The Dems have no balls. We're not going to win back seats this year at this rate. They're letting every opportunity slip through their fingers because they are a bunch of wimps who back down at the first sign of a Republican attack on them.
Agree 100% with all of this. Tim Johnson and Ben Nelson are the other two who are supporting Alito. Nelson is a Republican wearing Dem clothes who is running for president.

Sadly, my first reaction to this thread was god, couldn't it please be somebody besides Kerry. He is just such a bad leader and I don't think will inspire your average person to take much notice.

It needs someone like Feinstein, a moderate who is on Judiciary Committee and would just say "look, Dems are pro-choice, and this guy's answer on whether Roe is settled law was enough to justify doing anything to stop his nomination".

I'm really down on Dems these days. Pelosi has been awful recently and even said at a local town hall meeting that she doesn't support an investigation into the wire-tapping issue. With "leaders" like these.....

That said, good for Kerry and I wish him luck.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickypt
Agree 100% with all of this. Tim Johnson and Ben Nelson are the other two who are supporting Alito. Nelson is a Republican wearing Dem clothes who is running for president.

Sadly, my first reaction to this thread was god, couldn't it please be somebody besides Kerry. He is just such a bad leader and I don't think will inspire your average person to take much notice.

It needs someone like Feinstein, a moderate who is on Judiciary Committee and would just say "look, Dems are pro-choice, and this guy's answer on whether Roe is settled law was enough to justify doing anything to stop his nomination".

I'm really down on Dems these days. Pelosi has been awful recently and even said at a local town hall meeting that she doesn't support an investigation into the wire-tapping issue. With "leaders" like these.....

That said, good for Kerry and I wish him luck.
I agree about Kerry being the one to step up. Kerry leading this effort doesn't give me much confidence! I think he's stepping forward now to make himself look like he's not a wimp like the rest of them... knowing that he doesn't have the backing and that a filibuster will never actually happen.

Aside from the anti-choice vote that I'm sure Alito will bring to the court, I'm scared to death about him siding with Bush on every matter that comes before the SC, and giving him even more extreme power than he's taken. The Dems should be pushing that point home.

I didn't realize Pelosi said that?! Is she nuts!

I've become extremely discouraged as well. The Republicans have been hanging themselves for the last several months, and all the Dems can seem to do is cut them free. They're not making any real effort to hold them accountable for anything! They need to grow some big ones.

made by dissention
Old 01-27-2006, 10:19 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tower

In a year from now, this will all have blown over. Five years from now, you won't even remember who this guy is...
Old 01-27-2006, 10:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Oh, by the way my friend gave me a good site today, here it is. I guess some of you rad people might know about it already.
alternet.org. I'm reading cool environmental stuff right now.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 01-27-2006, 10:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Oh, by the way my friend gave me a good site today, here it is. I guess some of you rad people might know about it already.
alternet.org. I'm reading cool environmental stuff right now.
Thanks for the link Amber, Im going to spend some time looking it over, it looks interesting....
Old 01-27-2006, 10:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman
In a year from now, this will all have blown over. Five years from now, you won't even remember who this guy is...
Unless Roe is overturned.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgrl
Unless Roe is overturned.
You're delusional if you think that would ever happen.