Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-28-2005, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Sick!

Clinic offers free abortions in wake of Katrina
Arkansas doctor says it could be dangerous for evacuees to wait

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - A doctor has offered to perform free abortions on hurricane evacuees, saying it may be too dangerous for them to wait until they return home.

Despite protests from abortion opponents, Little Rock Family Planning clinic director Dr. Jerry Edwards said he has already performed six free abortions. The clinic usually charges between $525 and $600 for a first-trimester abortion.

“If we didn’t provide it now, they would get it later — a late-term abortion that would give greater risk to the mother’s health,” Edwards told KTHV-TV in Little Rock.

Edwards, who runs the only abortion clinic in central Arkansas, was unavailable for further comment Tuesday, a clinic employee told The Associated Press.

Rose Mimms, executive director of Arkansas Right to Life, said Edwards is risking further traumatizing women who have already lost their material belongings. “This just adds to the devastation these women already have in their lives,” she said.

But Marvin Schwartz, spokesman for Arkansas-Oklahoma Planned Parenthood, said Edwards is providing women with a needed service.

“The timing of the abortion procedure is, of course, extremely critical. The earlier in the pregnancy, the less critical it is,” he said.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

yeah, that kind of sensationalism makes me sick too.

*rolls eyes back in head which doesn't hurt much since I already have had a headache for five days anyway*
Old 09-28-2005, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari
yeah, that kind of sensationalism makes me sick too.

*rolls eyes back in head which doesn't hurt much since I already have had a headache for five days anyway*
Come on up...get your baby killings for free!
Old 09-28-2005, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What effect does this have on your life? I guess this guy should have checked with you for permission first, huh? Oh, wait, he doesn't have too since it's legal.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin
What effect does this have on your life? I guess this guy should have checked with you for permission first, huh? Oh, wait, he doesn't have too since it's legal.
It affects me because it turns my stomach to know that innocent souls are dying everyday...and now it is being offered for free! Excuse me for my compassion.

And hopefully it won't be legal for to much longer...if Bill Maher is correct, and for once I hope he is!!!
Old 09-28-2005, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
It affects me because it turns my stomach to know that innocent souls are dying everyday...and now it is being offered for free! Excuse me for my compassion.

And hopefully it won't be legal for to much longer...if Bill Maher is correct, and for once I hope he is!!!
Innocent souls are dying in Iraq, but I don't see any compassion there from you.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

"Compassion" my ass. I've read your posts...you have about as much compassion as our f***ing President...which is zero, nil, none, nada.

If abortions keep more people like YOU from entering this world, bring 'em on.

Asshole.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I wasn't going to even bother with posting to this thread, but I do have a question for you regarding abortions. If you were married, your wife were pregnant, and you were told by her physician that the pregnancy/birth would kill her, and you had to choose between aborting a 1-2 month old fetus that you've never seen, or allowing the pregnancy take the life of a woman you truly love, with every ounce of your being, and could not even fathom spending the rest of your life without, what choice would you make?

Inspired Angel: Stevie Nicks
Old 09-28-2005, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Come on up...get your baby killings for free!
Thanks for underlining my point.

I feel sick now.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari
Thanks for underlining my point.

I feel sick now.
Yeah, that's been my general state for a while now too. The older I get the more conservative my views on abortion are (gasp). But I would never ever vote to take a woman's right to choose away. My beliefs are for my life and not to be imposed on others. Even if they are "right". Just kidding! If that is the option these women are choosing then that is their right.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Where are the docs giving free prenatal care?

Watching the drama of the Ledge since 2001.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

He was underlining my point as in 'sensationalism makes me sick'
I'm pro-abortion, that's all I'm going to say about the subject.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, how awful for all the of the people who were forced out of their homes and had their entire lives ruined to be given options. It's not like he's having a gigantic party with clowns and punch and cake and a big flashing road sign that says "GET YER ABORTIONS HERE!"

I'm so tired of vocal, militant pro-lifers. Seriously. I'm glad you disagree with a woman's right to choose. But guess what? That right to choose gives YOU and any who agree with your point of view the CHOICE to never have this procedure yourself.

There's nothing wrong with what he's doing. What about women who may have had this procedure scheduled and are now approaching or have blown through their second trimesters? Would you prefer them to have late-term or partial birth abortions? What about all the women whose pregnancies and health may have been irreperably harmed by all of the horrific conditions, environmental and otherwise, of the evacuation? What about all the women who were RAPED in evacuation areas?

It's not sick. You can disagree with the procedure, but all he's doing is offering help and charity to those who need it and who are CHOOSING to take it. It's not like he's kidnapping women off the streets to suck their babies out for fun.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Give me a break. If the headline read "Clinic offers pro bono abortions in wake of Katrina," it wouldn't be half as salacious and eye-catching.

What an awful thing for women to be given such options without having to worry about the financial ramifications. They aren't your ****ing bodies.

Old 09-28-2005, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not goinng to sit here and say I like abortions because I dont. But I'm not a woman either, so how can I really know how it feels. I dont mean to sound wishy washy, but that's about how I feel about it