Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-04-2004, 12:00 AM
Ledgie

Default Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Songs Of All Time

Vert good list. Judges include songwriters, musicians, critics and so on. Just to bring up as to where Fleetwood Mac or members solo only 2 FM songs made this list...NEITHER of which are songs that Christine wrote! Grrrrrr. And the 2 FM choices....Go Your Own way and Rhiannon? I don't know about you guys but Christine has SO many songs that were bigger hits and better songs than those two.

None the less pick up the issue. For the most part there's ALOT of increddible songs on this list. I agree with about 90% of it. The other 10% I could not believe. Yes, junk did make this list.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I personally like Christine's "Why" much more than both "Rhiannon" and "GYOW," but of course the list is going to consist of the huge hits, and that always winds up being disappointing.

But what was Christine's biggest hit with FM? I know someone posted that at some point but I can't remember. Was it "YMLF"? I have to say I prefer "Rhiannon" to that one, and it's just not my favorite Christine song anyway, but it just goes to show how the best songs are rarely the hit songs.

Hillary
Old 12-04-2004, 12:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think the 500 means ground-breaking in some way or timeless. Rhiannon and GYOW both fit that.

Christine's biggest hits were Don't Stop and Little Lies. Nice songs, probably don't deserve to be on a list like that. If I had to pick one for the list, I'd say Songbird or Why.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not a huge fan of "Don't Stop," but I suppose someone could argue that it's significant enough because Clinton used it for his campaign.

As for "Little Lies," I do LOVE that song, but I don't really think it belongs on that list, either.

Hillary
Old 12-04-2004, 12:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Little Lies would be on the 500 Greatest Addictive Songs of All Time.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I like the list ALOT. Any list with a lot of Beatles & Dylan songs is OK with me. As for Christine's songs, "Don't Stop" could arguably be on the list. It's certainly the most popular & recognizable Fleetwood Mac song. I'd definitely put it on the list. But, I agree about "Why" & "Songbird". They're the best songs she ever wrote. I think "Why" is one of the best songs ANYONE has ever written. Unfortunately, hardly anyone has ever heard it.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksIllume
Little Lies would be on the 500 Greatest Addictive Songs of All Time.
There would be quite a few Christine McVie songs on that list.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:06 PM
Ledgie

Well let's think about that for a moment....irrelevant...hmmm....any list compiled strictly by people of people can be considered irrelevant. So that means any opinion of theirs is no more irrelevant than yours.

As to who "They" are who compiled this so-called Worst song list that I could not find, well, who exactly are "they"? Writers for the magazine? If that is the case then I would not give creedence to the list either. RS had a Greatest Guitarists of All Time issue some months back and the list was written and compiled by the writers. So even though there were alot of great players on the list, I though alot of it was nuts because of blatant deletions and position placement. I, as a rule am not a fan of this magazine because of the WRITERS but I will not totally dismiss everything in there because it's "they" aka Rolling Stone magazine.

As to this new list. This list was compiled because the magazine asked 172 people in the music industry to participate creating this list. Songwriters, musicians, producers, industry figures and critics were all asked to choose their 50 favorite songs they felt would best represent this list. They nominated 2,103 songs and the results were tabulated to come to this list. Examples of judges are Brian Wilson, Joni Mitchell, Bonnie Raitt, just to name a few. The list of all 172 judges are named in the issue. If people like that should be considered irrelevant then so be it.

So this is by no means a scientific list but more of a "favorites" list of all 172 people from the music industry, NOT writers of Rolling Stone magazine. So because of that I do give this list more merit than one compiled by writers of the magazine alone. I don't agree with all the choices and there's alot left out...big time left out. But nonetheless the list is absolutely amazing. I found the list to be alot of fun, and I don't consider it irrelevant but an interesting compilation of what the people who create the music think about what deserves to be the Greatest Songs Of All Time.

Take a look for yourself.....

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/sto...96661/500songs

One last thing, "Yesterday" is on this list and deservedly so. I would agree with someone like Brian Wilson telling me that it should be there over some writer for the magazine telling me that it shouldn't. That's the difference here.

Last edited by CFR; 12-04-2004 at 08:07 PM..
Old 12-05-2004, 07:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That worst song list was NOT in Rolling Stone. I think it was in some Florida newspaper this summer. Someone posted the online edition in the Rumours forum. I don't even know who compiled the list, probably some music critic.

I do like the Rolling Stone list, although I would have added a few Christine/Fleetwood Mac songs. I don't consider this list irrelevant at all. I also liked that 500 greatest albums list that they compiled last year. Christine had been one of the people who were part of creating that list, by the way.

Last edited by macfan 57; 12-05-2004 at 07:21 AM..
Old 12-05-2004, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
That worst song list was NOT in Rolling Stone. I think it was in some Florida newspaper this summer. Someone posted the online edition in the Rumours forum. I don't even know who compiled the list, probably some music critic.
Wasn't it Maxim Blender? Or was that a different bad songs list?

Hillary
Old 12-05-2004, 11:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I found the thread from here on the Ledge. This idiotic list was in the Palm Beach Post.

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=15198
Old 12-05-2004, 12:50 PM
Ledgie

But where's the list? I want to see this list of wisdom.