Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The best way to get Stevie involved in the studio

Here's an idea. Just that - an idea and nothing more.

Why not?

- Add Christine's vocals to all four 2013 E.P. songs
(But: re-record It Takes Times with Chris on piano, change up the accompaniment but keep the melody the same, just add Christine's backing vocals)
The problem with It Takes Time is the piano accompaniment is way too repetitive. Christine could definitely jazz it up a bit and Linds might not mind.
PLUS:
- Ask Stephanie Lynn to contribute ONE brand new song to the album. I understand that she wrote some lyrics following her mother's death? Why not use them for a new song? Maybe a ballad about her mother? I don't know.
THEN:
Make the final new studio album by Fleetwood Mac in this way:
- Sequence it with the re-released EP songs first up
- Followed by Stevie's one new song
- Then all the completed sounds that four of them did in 2014 at Village recorder Studios in Los Angeles e.g. Too Far Gone, Carnival Begin, Red Sun etc.

Is this such a terrible idea? Do you think it would work?

To say, "Hey Stevie. How are you? We were just wondering if you would be able to come into the studio with us four? Don't panic, nothing strenuous. Just one day, in fact. All we want from you is one new song. Not from the vault. We're re-recording the Extended Play songs and they will go on the album, we think. If you like, some vault songs too, would be good but it's not critical. Other than that, just come in for an eight hour day with us, we will do your hours and work around you. Add backing vocals to our songs. What do you say?"

Would she agree, do you think? And why hasn't Lindsey done this already? Or Mick?
Old 09-01-2016, 03:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
THEN:
Make the final new studio album by Fleetwood Mac in this way:
- Sequence it with the re-released EP songs first up
- Followed by Stevie's one new song
- Then all the completed sounds that four of them did in 2014 at Village recorder Studios in Los Angeles e.g. Too Far Gone, Carnival Begin, Red Sun etc.
Why?

From what we can read into the recent interview Mick gave, they've done all they can to persuade her. He said they've brought out a couple of her old songs and worked on those (I dont know whether he's refering to the EP songs or other old material). She aint interested.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Why?

From what we can read into the recent interview Mick gave, they've done all they can to persuade her. He said they've brought out a couple of her old songs and worked on those (I dont know whether he's refering to the EP songs or other old material). She aint interested.
Mick ought to grow a set and give Stevie Nicks an ultimatum.

Those with long memories will know he has done that before.

Remember the 2012 Playboy interview? Mick said that he believed Fleetwood Mac would never tour again.

The result of that interview? Reasonably soon afterwards Stevie Nicks appeared on the talk show Loose Women and said that there would be another Fleetwood Mac tour and that it was a matter of when, not if, it would happen.

If it worked in 2012 it can work in 2016.

And if it doesn't, what does Mick lose? Nothing much really. He might piss her off a bit, but I'd say they ain't as good friends as they used to be even now anyway.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:04 AM
AlexD
This message has been deleted by AlexD. Reason: It was a bit much
Old 09-01-2016, 09:49 AM

How many times they've done this little acting drama in which they say 'Stevie doesn't want to do this, she doesn't want to do that and we're waiting for her and tried everything to convince her etc'?
Old 09-01-2016, 11:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Rent her a side room with drapes and candles and sketchbooks and notebooks and incense.

And a dream catcher.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Why?

They could release a different version of IDWTK. And tell her in the parking lot.

Michele
Old 09-03-2016, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
They could release a different version of IDWTK. And tell her in the parking lot.

Michele
Haha!! most of the shippers didn't get that joke...
Old 09-18-2016, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

To my mind the best way to do it is... don't. Let's face it having both her and LB in the band these days just creates fireworks and they are no longer of the constructive variety. The other four all get on fine. They've got an album's worth ready to go, come on Mick just give her an ultimatum like you did with Lindsey in 87!!!
Old 09-18-2016, 11:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murrow View Post
To my mind the best way to do it is... don't. Let's face it having both her and LB in the band these days just creates fireworks and they are no longer of the constructive variety. The other four all get on fine. They've got an album's worth ready to go, come on Mick just give her an ultimatum like you did with Lindsey in 87!!!
That's the perplexing part to me. Mick stood up to Peter Green when he basically was the band, he stood up to Lindsey on several occasions, and he told Christine that she was either in or out. I don't get how or why he lost his b . . . backbone.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-19-2016, 01:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
That's the perplexing part to me. Mick stood up to Peter Green when he basically was the band, he stood up to Lindsey on several occasions, and he told Christine that she was either in or out. I don't get how or why he lost his b . . . backbone.
Because(and you know that I HATE it) old goats her name became the face of FM. The days of reinvention are over. As much as you and I LOVE the rest of the band far more than her, this IS what it is.

And if one of them(other than Stevie) dies before they release another album, I'll blame the old goat until the day I die.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm sure there will be an album before they go on tour again. In all seriousness - there is little point in FM releasing an album after a three year period of touring. They've always been a band that puts an album release right in front of a tour. They've toured to get their name out there and get the feels back on for working together, made a huge hubbub about Christine being back, and now is the time to go record an album. At the snails pace with which these people have always worked, a new album should be ready just in the nick of time to go on the road again in 18 months as planned.

I doubt sales potential has anything to do with Stevie's reticence (if that reticence is even factual, which we don't really know) because she's saying in interviews that sales don't matter anymore to her.

They aren't going to release an album without her. To think they will is foolish - look at the history from Mick's perspective:

Behind the Mask - No Lindsey, flop
Time - No Stevie or Lindsey, flop
Say You Will - No Christine, relative flop

Why on earth would they go forward and do another album sans one of the 'golden' members, when they've all just toured for three years and rebuilt some chemistry? If there is only going to be one more, might as well do it right. As Lindsey said - It Takes Time.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 09-19-2016, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

How to get Stevie in the studio??? Have fun recording !!!

From her recent Huffington Post interview...

"Every other record we’ve ever done has taken at least a year. Rumors, all of the records. We have enough money where everyone goes ‘We can do whatever we want.’ And I think sometimes that really doesn’t work that well for you because you really don’t need to book every studio in the city to put FIVE THOUSAND OVERDUBS on music that is already really good. You are trying really hard to use your time wisely. You get better stuff and it is a lot more fun getting the stuff that you do get.” Nicks has had a lot of fun throughout her career and doesn’t plan on stopping anytime soon. Just when you think you have seen it all, Nicks makes sure that you haven’t seen anything yet.

Judging from her recent interviews Stevie's new outlook seems to be "If I can't have fun doing it I'm not doing it... Why waste the time I have left being miserable"

Last edited by BlueDenimLamp; 09-19-2016 at 02:30 PM..
Old 09-19-2016, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Say You Will - No Christine, relative flop
Funny story. We honeymooned in Maui at the beginning of August this year and went to Fleetwood's to watch Mick play with Willie K for one of the shows they were doing to celebrate the restaurant's 4th anniversary. (Incidentally, Sammy Hagar, Quest Love, and Kris Kristofferson all showed up unexpectedly too and played/sang with them [except Kris].)

Anyway, they had a raffle at the beginning, and the winner won a photo of the band in the studio working on the Say You Will album. As Mick was handing it to the winner, he explained that it was from the SYW session and referred to the album something along the lines of "not one of our greatest works." I'm paraphrasing that because I can't remember exactly what he said, but it was similar to that and clear that he didn't hold the album in high regard.

Awesome show by the way. I had never heard of Willie K before, but he was an amazing blues player and singer. Only about 50 people in the reserved seating area. Very intimate and cool. Mick always seems very appreciative of his fans in these kinds of situations (did a couple of meet and greets with him before too) and loves to talk.

Brad