The Chain 6 25.00%
I Don't Want To Know 7 29.17%
Oh Daddy 0 0%
Gold Dust Woman 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-2023, 01:20 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default 5th Single from Rumours

I believe it was Ken Caillat who said that the goal was to make every song on Rumours a potential single. For the most part, they accomplished that. Four US top ten singles emerged from the album, and several other received substantial airplay. Back in 1977, only songs that were released as singles were eligible for the Hot 100, although this has since changed. With the current chart rules, any song is capable of reaching the Hot 100, and we've seen instances where every song from an album has charted. If these current rules were applied back in 1977, it's very possible that we could have seen nearly every song on ''Rumours'' hit the Billboard Hot 100, but alas, that was not the case.

The album's fourth single, "You Make Loving Fun", reached #9 on the Billboard Hot 100, so it was within the realm of possibility for another song to reach the top 40, if not higher. As such, I am asking you to play the role of record executive and select the fifth single from Rumours.

Last edited by WalkAThinLine.; 09-03-2023 at 01:25 PM..
Old 09-03-2023, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I’m torn- for me, I can’t decide between Second Hand News, the Chain, and I Don’t Want to Know. SHN is insanely catchy, and a nice bookend to Go Your Own Way, the first single. The Chain is practically the unofficial 5th single anyway, it seems like. Also, John and Mick would have gotten more money, as it’s the only song all 5 are credited on. I have a personal reason for considering I Don’t Want to Know as a 5th single- if it had been released as a single, then maybe it would have been performed live by the band on occasion. Every other song on Rumours was performed live.

Since I can’t narrow it down to one song, I have to abstain from voting. Maybe after some more thought, I’ll make a decision. I’m curious to see what other folks vote for.
Old 09-03-2023, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I would say Second Hand News or I Dont Want To Know. The other songs are good rock staples but not as radio friendly as these two. I dont want to know is easy to sing along with like Dont Stop. So I voted for I Dont Want To Know.
I suppose the band wanted off the charts while they were working on the follow up and not milk it to death. It would have been weird for Rumours to blend into Tusk. I admire that. Gold Dust Woman and The Chain were and are still rock station regulars still today.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 09-03-2023 at 02:14 PM..
Old 09-03-2023, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, they’d started work on what would be Tusk, but at the same time they were still touring Rumours for long after YMLF was released. I mean, if you release an additional single, what are you losing??

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 09-03-2023, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for IDWK. It's the very first guitar solo I ever learned.
Old 09-03-2023, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

IDWTK is the song that got me hooked to this group but The Chain is a hit and the best song on that album.
Old 09-04-2023, 08:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I have a personal reason for considering I Don’t Want to Know as a 5th single- if it had been released as a single, then maybe it would have been performed live by the band on occasion. Every other song on Rumours was performed live.
It did get performed on the Buckingham Nicks Tour!
Old 09-04-2023, 08:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. View Post
I am asking you to play the role of record executive and select the fifth single from Rumours.
Now this makes the poll a hard one. As a fan I would choose NGBA or The Chain, but as a record executive, looking for a radio friendly, or most of all, a sales hit, a top ten, probably I'd choose Second Hand News or I don't wanna know.

I chose IDWK.
Old 09-08-2023, 11:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Now this makes the poll a hard one. As a fan I would choose NGBA or The Chain, but as a record executive, looking for a radio friendly, or most of all, a sales hit, a top ten, probably I'd choose Second Hand News or I don't wanna know.

I chose IDWK.
When I voted, SHN was far winning, now my chose dethroned it! Let's see what happens in the long run.