User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-23-2007, 02:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lindsey story on Crooks and Liars website

link

One of the luckiest things that ever happened to me at Reprise was when my counterpart at sister label Warner Bros thought Fleetwood Mac might be a little passe for the direction he was taking the label and offered Reprise the opportunity to release their live album, The Dance. I jumped at the chance– and the record sold millions around the world, helping me pay bonuses to every single employee of our company. Because of that I also availed myself of the opportunity to get to know these incredible musicians, particularly the 3 living in L.A., Stevie, Mick and Lindsey. Lindsey Buckingham, while best known as one of the brilliant minds behind Fleetwood Mac, always really wanted to be respected for his solo career as well. His songs were always great and I always encouraged him to record them in his own unique style. This is one of the songs he released on Under the Skin which came out last year, “Someone’s Gotta Change Your Mind.”

It has a video set to "Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind". It was written by Howie Klein, who was president of Reprise records.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Some of those comments are... eh, strange:

If there was ever a person most expendable to Fleetwood Mac it was Lindsey Buckingham. {snip} I always to be honest never thought Lindsey Buckingham was the “brains” behind the group’s success.

Okay.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danax6 View Post

If there was ever a person most expendable to Fleetwood Mac it was Lindsey Buckingham. {snip} I always to be honest never thought Lindsey Buckingham was the “brains” behind the group’s success.

Okay.
Most expendable?! Well, yeah I agree with that, because when he left in 1987, I don't think anyone even noticed. Made no difference whatsoever.

Michele
Old 11-24-2007, 12:30 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Most expendable?! Well, yeah I agree with that, because when he left in 1987, I don't think anyone even noticed. Made no difference whatsoever.

Michele
Right! Nobody noticed when he came back either. Not the five million who bought The Dance and sent it to #1 on the charts. Certainly not the millions who bought Tango when it also went #1 before he left. The millions who bought Behind the Mask and Time, which both went multi-platimum and ranked #1, never noticed at all. What do you mean they didn't? They weren't? Nevermind!!!!!
Old 11-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Certainly not the millions who bought Tango when it also went #1 before he left.
Well, as I understand it, he contributed very little to TITN. That album probably sold well because people were so glad he was gone.

Despite the fact that the band has carried him for 22 years, it is my opinion that he is the least expendable of the 16. However, I realize such thoughts are irrational. Curls get in your eyes.

Michele
Old 11-24-2007, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Dark in my flaming staircase, being totally unfamiliar with the artist or her music

You guys ever see a website whose comments section wasn't filled with dozens of stupid, misinformed, or naive posts? People are stupid, and shouldn't be allowed to comment on things!
Old 11-26-2007, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, as I understand it, he contributed very little to TITN. That album probably sold well because people were so glad he was gone.
This might just be lack of sleep, but I'm not sure whether you're joking or not. I hope you are.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Your comments make absolutely no sense to me.
Lindsey not only co-produced Tango In The Night; he contributed most to the album (with Stevie, the least).

You mention Tango sold well because Lindsey left the band before the tour. WHAT?? That defies logic thought.

And the band "carried" Lindsey for 22 years? Again...huhh??? The band needed a guitarist when Lindsey came on board, and he is largely known as the studio sound master of the group.

The misperceptions are baffling.
Quote:

Despite the fact that the band has carried him for 22 years, it is my opinion that he is the least expendable of the 16. However, I realize such thoughts are irrational. Curls get in your eyes.

Michele

Last edited by PenguinHead; 11-28-2007 at 11:45 AM..
Old 11-26-2007, 11:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgikallaroundme View Post
Right! Nobody noticed when he came back either. Not the five million who bought The Dance and sent it to #1 on the charts. Certainly not the millions who bought Tango when it also went #1 before he left. The millions who bought Behind the Mask and Time, which both went multi-platimum and ranked #1, never noticed at all. What do you mean they didn't? They weren't? Nevermind!!!!!
They equally didn't notice when Christine McVie left before that multi-million selling #1 record Say You Will...

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-27-2007, 01:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
They equally didn't notice when Christine McVie left before that multi-million selling #1 record Say You Will...
But in all fairness, even if Christine had been with the band, SYW wouldn't have sold that many more copies. I'm not saying she's expendable. I missed and miss her balance greatly. I'm just saying that none of them are Justin Timberlake or Beyonce, which tends to help in the multi-million selling categories.

Michele
Old 11-25-2007, 10:57 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default And the beat goes on…

Quote:

Michele
Reminds me of Genesis...Peter Gabriel's genius propelled a good band to fantastic heights, walked away and no one noticed (c'mon! Peter Gabriel was in Genesis??). Phil Collins took Gabriel's leftover material and kept the band going until Collins found his own style. Which was basically copying whatever Peter was doing at the time and making it less 'artistic', more 'pop' and much more marketable.

The same thing happened with Pink Floyd (who the heck is Roger Waters?? Oh yeah---the guy responsible for our smashing success! WTF, we don't need him, let's go on tour using the name, play his songs, write some new ones based on his old themes and sell a few more million albums---bloody brilliant!!)

So you take another good band, add genius singer/songwriter/guitarist Lindsey and hot little diva Stevie and whaddya get? A 20-million-album machine called Fleetwood Mac. Take away it's primary engine, Lindsey. Just for kicks, take away Stevie too. What happens? Not much, unless your former bandmates are blithering idiots. Any half-decent band wearing the FM moniker after 'Rumours' could go on tour playing Lindsey & Stevie songs, churn out a few radio-friendly hits of their own, sell a few million albums and most people wouldn't bat an eye. Hell, even Meatloaf, his chick singer and Todd Rundgren on guitar could have handled the job!

Lindsey expendable? Of course, as long as you feel that "Two out of three ain't bad!"
Old 11-27-2007, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danax6 View Post

Okay.

Well, look at the history of Fleetwood Mac...there's not a more "expendable" position in rock than being a guitarist for Fleetwood Mac (except maybe drummer for Spinal Tap or bassist for the Allman Bros Band, but at least all Fleetwood Mac guitarists are still living). So, yeah, Lindsey WOULD be the most expendable. Makes a helluva lot of sense to me.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Well, look at the history of Fleetwood Mac...there's not a more "expendable" position in rock than being a guitarist for Fleetwood Mac (except maybe drummer for Spinal Tap or bassist for the Allman Bros Band, but at least all Fleetwood Mac guitarists are still living). So, yeah, Lindsey WOULD be the most expendable. Makes a helluva lot of sense to me.
Yes, I would agree if he had only been 'the guitarist', which wasn't/isn't the case.