The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:01 AM
Ledgie

Default So what other bands are you guys into around here?

Personally, I'm an absolute SUCKER for Toto. I think they are awesome. I also love Steely Dan and Genesis. Those guys along with the Mac are pretty much all I listen to these days. Sometimes I'll put on a bit of Foo Fighters though. And I LOVE a bit of Bowie.

When I was a younger I was into Red Hot Chili Peppers, Korn, Incubus, Slipknot, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Rage Against The Machine, Faith No More, Jane's Addiction, Pink Floyd (can't listen to them anymore. Brings back, ahem, dubious memories), Senser.

My taste changed a bit as I hit my 30s and I went for stuff that was bit softer. The music I listened to as a younger man is just too loud for me now, lol.

What about you guys? What else do you dig apart from the obvious?
Old 01-11-2014, 04:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenStu View Post
Personally, I'm an absolute SUCKER for Toto. I think they are awesome. I also love Steely Dan and Genesis. Those guys along with the Mac are pretty much all I listen to these days. Sometimes I'll put on a bit of Foo Fighters though. And I LOVE a bit of Bowie.

When I was a younger I was into Red Hot Chili Peppers, Korn, Incubus, Slipknot, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Rage Against The Machine, Faith No More, Jane's Addiction, Pink Floyd (can't listen to them anymore. Brings back, ahem, dubious memories), Senser.

My taste changed a bit as I hit my 30s and I went for stuff that was bit softer. The music I listened to as a younger man is just too loud for me now, lol.

What about you guys? What else do you dig apart from the obvious?
The Floyd and the Mac are my two main musical obsessions, but I like the Beatles, Oasis, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Eurythmics, and I quite like some newer ones though they tend to be more flakey. I had a Mumford and Sons moment last year, but I think there was a bit of over exposure there.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Doors
Concrete Blonde
Old 01-11-2014, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Muse
Vampire Weekend
Franz Ferdinand, I have tickets to see them April 21!
The Black Keys
Depeche Mode
Kasabian
Coldplay
Whitest Boy Alive
Portishead
Mazzy Star
The Cinematics (*cry* they broke up after only two albums)
Everything But The Girl
Honeycut
Gorillaz
The Presets
Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra
Siouxsie & The Banshees
Concrete Blonde

These are all bands that I share an equal obsession for; at least as much (and often moreso) than Fleetwood Mac.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case

Last edited by KarmaContestant; 01-11-2014 at 10:32 PM..
Old 01-12-2014, 08:49 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Everything But The Girl
Now THERE is a band I've not heard of for a few years! Blimey! Whatever happened to those guys?
Old 02-06-2014, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenStu View Post
Now THERE is a band I've not heard of for a few years! Blimey! Whatever happened to those guys?
Their catalog is being remastered and reissued. I think the second set of four albums is due soon. Otherwise, Tracey Thorn has laucnhed a solo career, with one album in 2007, Out of the Woods, and a second in 2011, Love and it's Opposite. Both albums are great - the first is very typical of Everything But The Girl. The second is mostly accoustic, very melancholy, and is a concept album about divorce. One lyric sums it up best:

"Each time I hear who's to part, I examine my heart"

It's a lovely collection of songs, really. I hope Tracey has something new in the works!
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 01-12-2014, 09:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Muse
Vampire Weekend
Franz Ferdinand, I have tickets to see them April 21!
The Black Keys
Depeche Mode
Kasabian
Coldplay
Whitest Boy Alive
Portishead
Mazzy Star
The Cinematics (*cry* they broke up after only two albums)
Everything But The Girl
Honeycut
Gorillaz
The Presets
Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra
Siouxsie & The Banshees
Concrete Blonde

These are all bands that I share an equal obsession for; at least as much (and often moreso) than Fleetwood Mac.
Gorillaz but not Blur?
Old 01-12-2014, 10:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
Gorillaz but not Blur?
I've never actually heard Blur (that I know of). Weird, I know.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Right now, I'm totally into Patty Griffin. OMG her songs are as good as anyones. LOVVVVEEEEE!!!!!
Old 02-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Right now, I'm totally into Patty Griffin. OMG her songs are as good as anyones. LOVVVVEEEEE!!!!!
!!! I was totally having a Patty pm love-in with another member here earlier today. She really is something else. Any particular albums/songs stand out for you?
Old 02-06-2014, 05:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
!!! I was totally having a Patty pm love-in with another member here earlier today. She really is something else. Any particular albums/songs stand out for you?
Making Pies turned me onto her. That is an excellent song and I can't believe it wasn't all over the radio. Love Long Ride Home and Rain.

The album I like the most is Flaming Red; Goodbye is one of the most beautiful ballads ever. I love Tony. It's funny it's about gay suicide because it sounds upbeat. Great Track. Wiggley Fingers, Mary, Christine, great album

She is the real deal; Up to the Mountain can compete with any soul song.

Last edited by Jondalar; 02-06-2014 at 06:09 PM..
Old 02-10-2014, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

TrueFaith77 has a lot of great taste! But I also like some of Jack White. I love a lot of 80's. Like ALL things 80's. After that I'd cling onto KarmaContestant for most like my taste in music. The only outsider is Dan Hicks, and I think ONE ledgie had ever heard of them. lol

I am really into Fitz & The Tantrums right now. I really enjoy both of their albums back to front. Super poppy and radio friendly, but there are times when that is ok. I also super dig Tame Impala and Broken Bells.
Beach House I liked...but what the hell happened? Portland was talking up a storm about them, but now I've heard nodda. Hope they do more in future.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 02-11-2014, 12:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Morrissey and The Smiths meant a lot to me at one time, I could never be without his/their music around for flashbacks.

I have all the Dan Hicks vinyl LPs and the great Amazing Charlatans CD collection. Certainly not for everyone, and like Captain Beefheart probably impossible to explain, but who knows that Stevie Nicks didn't pick up some retro Edwardian-Victorian fashion ideas through them in her San Fran days? Ferguson forever!

I'm really into listening to a Michigan '60s outfit called The Spike Drivers lately... along the lines of early Jefferson Airplane, Great Society, Mojo Men, only nowhere close geographically to the bay area, so how did they get there? One member left for Canada and founded the Perth County Conspiracy. It all should have been much more popular. Actually maybe they are more like The Peanut Butter Conspiracy, I'm a sucker for male/female vocal harmony pop like this.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

WOW. I am really impressed by huge diverse lists people shared. There were about 40 artists that I noticed that forgot to put on my list. I'm a completist, so a good portion of my list are artists of which I've collected their entire discography, and then some. It kills me that most of it is in storage on the other side of the country. Hopefully I'll be united with in the next year or so. I'll be overwhelmed.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:05 PM
Macfanforever
This message has been deleted by Macfanforever. Reason: screwud up keyboard.