Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-28-2005, 01:16 PM
Ledgie

Default Song suggestions

I'm looking for some song titles from some of you well schooled Greeny fans. Since I'm still in the phase of exploring ALL of his work, I haven't heard it all yet. I just love to hear the man play guitar (and sing too). What are the tunes that he just stands out on - maybe more than others. I was just listening to "Stumble" from the Mayall CD. Now THAT'S a virtual orgy of lead guitar from our boy. I still ahve to get to picking out between Peter, and Danny on a lot of stuff. Like on , "Oh Well", is it Danny starting the riff and then Peter coming in just after him? I'd love to read some thoughts on this stuff. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The solo(s) on "Oh Well" are Danny. Peter starts the riff on a Dobro (or National Steel Standard...one of those resonator guitars...its the same guitar pictured on the cover of the Splinter Group's Robert Johnson Songbook album), then Danny (& John) come in.

Ok, here are my suggestions, just off the top of my head:

W/John Mayall:
The Supernatural
You Don't Love Me
The Same Way

w/Fleetwood Mac:
Albatross
I Loved Another Woman
The World Keeps On Turning
Lazy Poker Blues
Rollin' Man
Need Your Love So Bad
Black Magic Woman
Underway
Rattlesnake Shake (live in Boston, 1970)
Green Manalishi

solo:
the entire End Of The Game album
Little Dreamer
The Apostle
One Woman Love
In The Skies
Just For You
Born Under A Bad Sign

PGSG albums:
1st album (which I call, "the blue album") Great live version of "The Stumble".
Destiny Road ("Hiding In Shadows", "Tribal Dance", "Big Change Is Gonna Come")
Time Traders (especially "Real World" & "Wild Dogs")

And of course, Hot Foot Powder and the aforementioned Robert Johnson Songbook are great in their entirety.

Reaching the Cold 100 doesn't sound as good to me NOW as it did when it first came out.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

tom- these are the ones that resonate with me for whatever reason

fleetwood mac era

love that burns
watch out (both original fleetwood mac and in chicago versions)
drifting (original fleetwood mac)
jumping at shadows
homework

solo pre splinter group:

funky chunk (in the skies- the most under-rated pg performance ever-strange elastic style- sublime)
slabo day (in the skies)
a fool no more (in the skies)

splinter group:
hitch-hiking woman (this is impossibly slow. peter alone on slide acoustic. should have made a whole record like this)
it takes time (version from the first splinter group cd, here he plays the lead fills and sings at the same time, live)
goin down (version from the first splinter group cd)

rambling on my mind (robert johnson songbook- this sounds like nothing else on this or any other splinter group record. were it not for the voice this sounds as if it were recorded by peter in the 1960's)

zero
Old 03-28-2005, 04:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzero
love that burns
watch out (both original fleetwood mac and in chicago versions)
Good calls on these...they slipped my mind.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Some excellent suggestions so far - hard to go wrong listening to Greeny. There are so many great tracks to choose from, but here are a a couple more, plus some comments on a couple already mentioned.

Mayall period:
"Out Of Reach" (got to be his earliest recorded vocals, and they're far from his best - but his guitar playing, from one of his first studio recordings, is stunning)

Fleetwood Mac period:
"Jumping At Shadows" (one of my favorites, very emotional singing and playing - I love both the BBC version and the live 2/70 Boston version that's on Show Biz Blues Vol. 2 as well as Jumping At Shadows: The Blues Years)

"Rattlesnake Shake / Underway" (BBC session 4/70, on Show Biz Blues Vol. 2, the "Underway" portion in particular is sensational)

"The Green Manalishi" (the guitar work toward the end of the studio version still gives me goosebumps, don't know that I've ever heard anything quite like it)

Some of Mac's best early work turns up on live bootlegs. A couple of tracks in particular are on boots that are relatively easy to track down and also have excellent sound quality:
"Worried Dream" (from the Carousel Ballroom, San Francisco 6/68)
"Got A Mind To Give Up Living" (from the Fillmore West, San Francisco, 1/70)

Don't overlook some great session work with other artists, particularly some of his playing on Otis Spann's The Biggest Thing Since Colossus.

Of his post-Mac work, my favorite track remains "A Fool No More" from In The Skies.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:47 AM
takenbythesky
This message has been deleted by takenbythesky.