Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Songs that are horrible live

What songs, to you, are horrible when played live, or don`t hold up to the studio version?
Old 01-08-2013, 12:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'msoAfraid95 View Post
What songs, to you, are horrible when played live, or don`t hold up to the studio version?
Say Goodbye.

studio version is far from great but live you can really hear how just dreadful this song really is (other than beautiful guitar parts, but they cannot save it unlike Time Precious Time).

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-08-2013, 12:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The one thing I really miss about FM's live shows from 1975-1982 is how they were brave enough to make their songs sound a little bit different every night of the tour. I say they but I really mean Stevie. Beginning in 1987 they have tried too hard to make most of the songs sound like the records. I like all their live songs except Not That Funny and only because the jam session was tediously long.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I really don't like Second Hand News live - I love the studio version, but live I feel as if it's slower (may very well be the case). Also, the repetition of the bow bow bit just...no, it makes me cringe for some reason (only live of course).

On the other hand, I love Say Goodbye recorded version AND live. Had to say that since I keep seeing it brought up in various threads. I love the guitar parts, I love the harmonies, I love the lyrics
Old 01-08-2013, 07:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I've never thought SHN worked quite as well live. I love the studio version but the live version (with the possible exception of the Rumours tour) feel sluggish and "heavy". The new versions since 2003 suffer from this especially. I think it's because of Lindsey playing the Turner instead of the light acoustic guitars and timbres of the studio version.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

LOVE Say Goodbye. Everything that was great about B/N shines in this song. Plus, I'm a mushball. I admit it.

I don't know. In general, I'd say I like almost everything better live than recorded. So, I'd almost have to answer the question in reverse (and, the answer would be "everything!").

OK-I hate Not That Funny. Live is even more aggravating than recorded. I dislike Say You Will live. I really, really am tired of Don't Stop both live and recorded. So Afraid--I do like better than the recorded version, I groan when I hear the opening strains, but--at the end, I'm into it just like (almost) everyone else.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I would have to say that Dreams doesn't work well live, it loses its intimacy and with Stevie unable or unwilling to reach those high notes, the song loses much of its power. The real problem with the song live is that it always, always sounds rushed, like lets just get through Dreams and move on. This classic deserves better and if she won't sing it properly, shelve it.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindOfWoman90 View Post
I really don't like Second Hand News live - I love the studio version, but live I feel as if it's slower (may very well be the case). Also, the repetition of the bow bow bit just...no, it makes me cringe for some reason (only live of course).
aww, how can you not like bam bam bam - that part i think it's good even in the worst live SHN versions (and i agree with you there are a number of those). but look here:

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-08-2013, 10:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Beginning in 1987 they have tried too hard to make most of the songs sound like the records. I like all their live songs except Not That Funny and only because the jam session was tediously long.
I respectfully agree and disagree with Viv. I also like most of the songs they perform live (even NTF, b/c we don't hear it often).

The 87/88 tour saw different arrangements of TITN songs such as Everywhere and 7W. Of course, I am biased b/c I love the TITN dvd. I agree LL and IIM sound alot like the album version. But IIM rocked! However, after 10+ years it was nice to hear them dust off these tunes (Everywhere) and SYLM and give them a fresher, modern day appeal.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don`t like the early live version of I`m So Afraid. Dreams, the Rumours era versions are good.To me, Tusk live isn`t that good.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Come on, Say Goodbye is amazing live!!!!!!!

Songs that sound horrible live for me:

- Second Hand News (too fast)
- World Turning (too long!!!!)
- Big Love and Go Insane (only becuse I want to hear something new)
- I'm So Afraid and Rhiannon before 1979.
- Sisters of the Moon (I love this song, but I can't feel the power of the studio version)
- the last Gypsies (empty versions. The Dance version is beautiful, but then...)
- And all the Mirage songs that were performed at least once live.

Regards!
Old 01-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Of course there are some songs form the 80's (Hold Me, Gypsy-on Mirage tour) that tanked. Gypsy was resurrected and finally found a good translation into the set in 97. Hold Me can do the same, today

There isn't many "live" tunes I despise (perhaps, that is too strong a word). But SS has lost it's luster since 97, but then again that could be just the delivery from Nicks whom was not all present at the last Mac show I saw in 09.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
The one thing I really miss about FM's live shows from 1975-1982 is how they were brave enough to make their songs sound a little bit different every night of the tour. I say they but I really mean Stevie. Beginning in 1987 they have tried too hard to make most of the songs sound like the records. I like all their live songs except Not That Funny and only because the jam session was tediously long.
It's "funny" you say that. When I bought the FM live cassettes in 1980, I put the cassette in my car player, and for some reason, that was the first song that played. I thought I bought the wrong cassettes. Like it was from another band. I re-wound or fast-forwarded and realized what it was. Never listened to the live version again.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
It's "funny" you say that. When I bought the FM live cassettes in 1980, I put the cassette in my car player, and for some reason, that was the first song that played. I thought I bought the wrong cassettes. Like it was from another band. I re-wound or fast-forwarded and realized what it was. Never listened to the live version again.
If NTF was the first song that played on your cassette, that meant you bought a used cassette.