Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-24-2005, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lindsey's Facination with the Stones

The GOS Survivor made me realize how many Stones covers Lindsey has done. Yes, The Rolling Stones were greatly influential and had some amazing songs, but I just find it odd that Lindsey keeps covering their songs. They just seem to be a little too mainstream for Lindsey's tastes.

I don't know... maybe some of the musical experts on the board can provide me with a little insight as to why they think Lindsey is fascinated with the Stones??

"Hearts will break with choices we must
make, so sleep and dream of me."
- LB

Last edited by AliP; 10-24-2005 at 03:21 PM..
Old 10-24-2005, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliP
I don't know... maybe some of the musical experts on the board can provide me with a little insight as to why they think Lindsey is fascinated with the Stones??
I don't know, Ali. Maybe the crux of the matter is akin to the painter of still life who isn't so much fascinated by the bowl of fruit in front of him as by what he intends to make of it.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-24-2005, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I don't know, Ali. Maybe the crux of the matter is akin to the painter of still life who isn't so much fascinated by the bowl of fruit in front of him as by what he intends to make of it.
Lindsey? Is that you?
Old 10-24-2005, 04:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza
Lindsey? Is that you?

thanks gazza, I'm really pissing my pants over here laughing!!!

Old 10-24-2005, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Lindsey? Is that you?
LMAO!

Imagine that.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I heard Cheri loved the stones and initially, he did Blue Turns to Grey and She Smiled Sweetly for her. However, doing so many other ones long after he and Cheri had crashed and burned is inexplicable to me. Indeed, I find it pretty lame.

At first I thought "Well, these are demos. He's having some fun. He surely wouldn't put them on an album." However, remember when SYW was going to be a double album, and Mick said something about including a "tribute to the Stones"? I wonder how many covers they would have included to warrant that term? One is excusable, but a "tribute" implies more than one. I would hope they would be embarrassed to do that but it sounds like they were planning on it. And Lindsey's inclusion of "I Am Waiting" on Soundstage - an ADDITIONAL Stones cover beyond the GOS ones - makes that implication even more likely.

Someone needs to sit Lindsey down and tell him, "Honey, you have original material. There is ZERO ZILCHO reason to go off on Stones covers. Do one if you adore them so much but any more than that is just odd." Seriously, guys, let's try to think of another major band/artist that's released a studio album containing even two covers songs originally recorded by another single band (excluding theme albums that consist entirely of covers). Not too easy, is it?

Old 10-24-2005, 07:40 PM
ReFleetwoodMac
This message has been deleted by ReFleetwoodMac.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts
Someone needs to sit Lindsey down and tell him, "Honey, you have original material. There is ZERO ZILCHO reason to go off on Stones covers.
To someone who considers himself primarily an arranger (in its deepest sense) & a sonic painter, does it much matter who pens the lyrics & the chord progression?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-25-2005, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Someone needs to sit Lindsey down and tell him, "Honey, you have original material. There is ZERO ZILCHO reason to go off on Stones covers. Do one if you adore them so much but any more than that is just odd." Seriously, guys, let's try to think of another major band/artist that's released a studio album containing even two covers songs originally recorded by another single band (excluding theme albums that consist entirely of covers). Not too easy, is it?
But none of these songs were ever released bar I Am Waiting, which is the most likely candidate to have been the Stones' tribute on Say You Will. I don't think Lindsey's Stones obsession is lame as I personally believe he never intended to release more than one. He may have been experimenting to find the Jagger/Richards tune he liked the best, that suited him best. To me it's like any musically-minded Ledgie covering their favourite Mac songs, it's just Lindsey has the luxury of his recording his in his own studio.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Lindsey? Is that you?
LFMAO

I like the stones
Old 10-24-2005, 05:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Granted, I can't say that I have heard the orginal versions of the songs to compare, but still....did Lindsey really do something so brilliant with these songs that would make people stop and go, "wow, how magnificent!" I don't think so.

Quote:
There is ZERO ZILCHO reason to go off on Stones covers. Do one if you adore them so much but any more than that is just odd.
I agree with Nancy. I just don't understand what Lindsey finds in The Stones that is so facinating. There really isn't anything *that* special in the songs he did cover. The lyrics are ok and there is nothing great as far as the guitar work goes, imo. And as far as LB looking up to Mick Jagger or Keith Richards...I find that hard to fathom.

- LB
Old 10-24-2005, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Granted, I can't say that I have heard the orginal versions of the songs to compare, but still....did Lindsey really do something so brilliant with these songs that would make people stop and go, "wow, how magnificent!" I don't think so.
Wouldn't such brilliance -- if it be reached -- be in the eye of the beholder? Neither is every artistic goal reached satisfactorily. Who's to say whether Lindsey himself either had something to say or felt he said it well by reconceptualizing these old songs, howsoever miniscule the degree?
Quote:
I just don't understand what Lindsey finds in The Stones that is so facinating.
He'd need to tell us for us to know -- & even then we may not know completely. He worked up several of these old Stones songs, & submitted several of them to fellow producers & label heads, intending them for inclusion on a solo album at one point. Judging by that, he seemed happy with what he did -- or at least happy enough.

Maybe he was in a Stones sorta mood.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-24-2005, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wouldn't such brilliance -- if it be reached -- be in the eye of the beholder?
Well what do YOU think, David? Do you think they are brilliant or crap? I'm assuming you've heard the originals, unlike myself.

- LB
Old 10-25-2005, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well what do YOU think, David? Do you think they are brilliant or crap? I'm assuming you've heard the originals, unlike myself.
No, I haven't heard the Stones renditions. I don't think Lindsey's renditions are earthshakingly brilliant, no, but they're pleasant enough. My point, really, was that Lindsey possibly thought that those Stones songs had something for him to draw on, something to build his own statement on -- but he doesn't necessarily think they're the world's greatest songs, any more than he had to consider any of Christine's or Stevie's material great in order to fashion it into a personal studio statement for himself -- or at least for Fleetwood Mac.

You originally asked why Lindsey was so fascinated with the Stones or with these Stones songs, to which I suggested that he wasn't, necessarily -- but he may have been fascinated by the possibilities of reworking them.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-24-2005, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The next mac tour should end with Satisfaction!