Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-22-2002, 11:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Chain Box Set

Can someone clarify something for me. I have been trying to obtain a Mint copy of The Chain Box Set, but evverytime I find it On ebay they all have copies with a saw like cut that goes right through the box set and CD Cases. Are all the copies like this or is there ones without the cuts? The cuts I am referring to are the ones you find on Promo cd's that start at the side of the CD case and go right thriugh the booklet to the other side of the CD.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-22-2002, 11:43 PM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 12-23-2002, 05:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

i have seen that saw cut thingy several times.... mostly from the cds in this record store in an outlet mall near where i grew up... this particular music store gets a lot of their "deals" from random wherehouses (they had a MASS amount of the chain box sets on CASSETTE for eons... for only $10~ yes i snatched one up... good for the car) same with my copy of street angel that i got from the same place... anyway... sometimes they do that with used cds or sometimes with extra inventory they sell off to outlets for cheap... it is my guess that the copies of the chain that you have been finding have been rescued from a wherehouse after a while of sitting there... who knows... i have also found this little cut in vinyl records from time to time... those of course are always purchased in a used record store.
Old 12-24-2002, 11:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My copy dosen't have that saw mark. Althought I know exactly what your talking about. It's pretty annoying.
Old 12-24-2002, 04:14 PM
Senior Ledgie

This might help:
http://www.collectorshelp.com/popups/cutout.htm
I have John's Gotta Band with a cut out, it is a bit of a pain.
-Brian
Old 12-29-2002, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Angry

I have the Chain Box Set with the cut outs you are talking about. I had to search hard, at the time, to get it. There wasn't eBay, etc. out there. A locally owned music store search for me and found me a copy, and the only copy they could find was a cut out copy. They told me that it was a copy that some music company had in a warehouse somewhere. If the cd isn't selling, they don't send out anymore of that cd, and they cut out the cds, so they'll know that is a cd that is not to be shipped, can't be sold, or wasn't selling well. It made me mad and depressed that Fleetwood Mac's Box Set wasn't selling, and that because of that, I got cut out goods. Therefore, the people who were lucky enough to buy it the short time it was out and on record store shelves, has a copy that is worth more than mine. I don't know why the record companies use the cut out method. My guess is the record company doesn't want you to get it in its original condition, if you aren't going to pay the regular, intented price for it. Therefore, if you get it later which usually means cheaper, you will get damaged goods not original goods. Still sounds stupid though, doesn't it?

~~Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got.~~ Janis Joplin
Old 12-29-2002, 10:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have got some cds like that. What I did was just buy some new jewel cases and take the stuff out of the one and put it into another. Doesn't matter anyway, as long as the cd actually works.

Matt
Old 12-30-2002, 09:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It made me mad and depressed that Fleetwood Mac's Box Set wasn't selling, and that because of that, I got cut out goods.
I know what you're saying, golddustwoman. But you know what made me even madder? That the box set itself was so half-hearted. In a way, it's not surprising that it didn't sell well: there were precious few new and/or unreleased songs, and no liner notes to speak of. Really, it's one of the worst box sets I've ever come across.
Nicks Fan, I'd think twice about paying big bucks for this thing, especially if it has a saw mark in it. You'd be better off buying any individual CDs you don't have yet. If all you want are the four new songs (none of which are that good, IMO), I think they're all available on the 2-disc "Chain highlights" set that was still in print in Europe as of a few months ago. (You can order it on Amazon.)
Old 12-30-2002, 11:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by blinker12
If all you want are the four new songs (none of which are that good, IMO), I think they're all available on the 2-disc "Chain highlights" set that was still in print in Europe as of a few months ago. (You can order it on Amazon.)
I have to disagree with you, at least as far as Make Me A Mask goes. Also, there was the alternate version of Tusk, the alternate version of Lay It All Down and Danny's String-A-Long included on it. However, it is a terrible compiliation, especially when there was SO much material that could have been put on it and wasn't.

Matt
Old 12-30-2002, 11:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not terribly disappointed in the set.. only for the fact that something is better than nothing.

But they could have done a MUCH better job for such a super-group. Even if they didn't want to put new material on the set, they still could have done better with liner notes, etc. Tell us a little bit about the making of the songs.. things that happened, etc.

Cuz really, we can watch BTM and read the books.. read interviews, & watch the specials.. but no matter how much information we collect about what really happened during those years, there's still a junkload that the fans don't ..and will never.. know about. (But want to.)

Sarah
Old 12-30-2002, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation for those interested

Quote:
Originally posted by Street_Dreamer
Danny's String-A-Long included on it
"String a long" is from JEREMY'S selftitled 1970 Reprise album (even though the liner notes indicate that it's an "unreleased FM song"). Peter does guest on that song and MF, JM & DK do play on it so I suppose this is how they feel as though they can say it's an "FM song" but I personally like when they are more accurate with their notes so people aren't mislead about such recordings.

The (minimal) notes also list track number one on disc four as "I believe my time ain't long" but it is actually "Dust my broom" from the "Mr. Wonderful" album (I know it is essentially the same song but I think it makes sense to let the buyer know which VERSION it is that they are hearing).

On a semi related topic, the CD that came with the hardcover edition of Mick's "My 25 years in FM" book, Mick says in his "introduction speech" on the CD that the 2 songs that are on there are "FM songs that have never been heard by anyone before" and he "remembers recording them in 1967" but this is incorrect as "Don't go please stay" & "You made a hit" are also lifted from JS's selftitled 1970 Reprise album. Once again, I know how it could be argued that they could be thought of as FM songs but...

Just in case some of the newer fans here may not have been aware of these things, I thought I'd say so I hope it's of some help to some of you.

Geez, yet another reason they should let the fans get involved in the accuracy of information for such items!

John
Old 12-30-2002, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Let's also remember that Jeremy's first solo album was SUPPOSED to be part of the "Then Play On" set (all the tunes were recorded during what became "Then Play On" and it was supposed to be released simultaneously with "TPO", as well), but its release was delayed four months (or so) to where they pretty much were forced to call it "a Jeremy Spencer solo album". It SHOULD be credited to "Fleetwood Mac", since it, for all intents & purposes, IS a Fleetwood Mac album, just with Jeremy taking all the lead vocals. So, in the minds of Mick & John, they're perfectly correct in their recollections of those tunes being "Fleetwood Mac" songs. But, to say that "nobody ever heard them" is definitely incorrect.

Last edited by chiliD; 12-30-2002 at 01:50 PM..
Old 12-30-2002, 06:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: for those interested

Quote:
Originally posted by wetcamelfood
"String a long" is from JEREMY'S selftitled 1970 Reprise album (even though the liner notes indicate that it's an "unreleased FM song").
I KNEW that but for some reason I always think Danny sings it. lol

Matt
Old 12-30-2002, 07:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sarah
But they could have done a MUCH better job for such a super-group. Even if they didn't want to put new material on the set, they still could have done better with liner notes, etc. Tell us a little bit about the making of the songs.. things that happened, etc.
The box set photo booklet was mostly dull. It was like a last-minute rush job to stuff into the box. And the lack of information about the tracks used on the set was shameful. All in all, the set deserved its fairly rapid disappearance from the cultural scene.
Old 12-31-2002, 07:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
Let's also remember that Jeremy's first solo album was SUPPOSED to be part of the "Then Play On" set (all the tunes were recorded during what became "Then Play On" and it was supposed to be released simultaneously with "TPO", as well), but its release was delayed four months (or so) to where they pretty much were forced to call it "a Jeremy Spencer solo album". It SHOULD be credited to "Fleetwood Mac", since it, for all intents & purposes, IS a Fleetwood Mac album, just with Jeremy taking all the lead vocals. So, in the minds of Mick & John, they're perfectly correct in their recollections of those tunes being "Fleetwood Mac" songs. But, to say that "nobody ever heard them" is definitely incorrect.
Oh yeah, I do agree that it SHOULD have been that way ("FM" etc.) BUT SINCE it TURNED OUT being billed "the way it was" (JS solo), I guess I was/am just disappointed that they didn't list where those recordings came from originally in case someone heard them and wanted to hear "more things like that" etc. as if they had then that interested listener could have found out right away "where to hear more of that kind of stuff" if ya get my drift.

Oh well, whatever, hopefully someday they'll let us, the fans get the info right for them!

John