Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Hits Daily Double Sales Chart

So with 69% of the sales in so far Fleetwood Mac's new EP is not in the top 50 so far this week. I know with it only being on iTunes it wouldnt be in the top 5 but I figured top 20 since most people buy digital copies of music these days. The rest of the chart will be updated tomorrow.
http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/sales/salescht.cgi
Old 05-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

that's fine by me. i'd rather them stay on the un-commercial side these days.
i see mostly garbage on that list (with the exception of phoenix and the lumineers).
Old 05-06-2013, 09:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac's EP is not a full length album. Wouldn't they need sale twice or three times a much to register.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

this is what i found on billboard:
Unit sales for Albums priced below $3.49 during their first four weeks of release will not be eligible for inclusion on the Billboard album charts and will not count towards sales data presented by Nielsen SoundScan.
*The rule also applies to reissued titles.
*New Holiday/Seasonal titles must meet the minimum threshold through the final week of the calendar year.
*Unit sales for albums or EPs with 8 or less tracks will not be eligible for charting if the retail price is less than the sum of the tracks on the release, multiplied by $0.39.
*Minimum pricing for a multi-disc album (not a single disc with extra tracks), where the extra disc is audio content, will be $3.49 times the amount of discs being made available.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It doesn't surprise me in the least that the EP is barely making a dent on the charts. Their only means of promoting it is via e-mail and via the live shows they played during the past week. And the problem with live shows is that, given the high price of tickets, a good chunk of the audience consists of older, affluent people who don't buy new music or kids who don't buy any music, period. Plus when you factor in the fact that it's currently iTunes only, the sales volume dwindles even further. I think they should count their lucky stars if they managed even 5,000 downloads.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
It doesn't surprise me in the least that the EP is barely making a dent on the charts. Their only means of promoting it is via e-mail and via the live shows they played during the past week. And the problem with live shows is that, given the high price of tickets, a good chunk of the audience consists of older, affluent people who don't buy new music or kids who don't buy any music, period. Plus when you factor in the fact that it's currently iTunes only, the sales volume dwindles even further. I think they should count their lucky stars if they managed even 5,000 downloads.
Yup! Yes, yes, yes. Won't buy it until it's on physical media and until it's not mp3s.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

i agree with you but i would think with it being up in the charts on itunes that it would mean they sold more than 5k units but then again i guess we shall see when the final numbers are released later on today. i did see a banner for the ep on ticketmaster and was wondering why they dont have the option to buy the ep when purchasing tickets right now. i find it odd that they are trying to sell music from the older incarnations of fleetwood mac instead of the current lineup on ticketmaster.

here is the list of music you can purchase with your tickets now:
Fleetwood Mac - Show-Biz Blues : 1968 To 1970 : Vol. 2 - DD MP3
Fleetwood Mac - Madison Blues - DD MP3
Fleetwood Mac - Men Of The World - The Early Years - DD MP3

They need to be selling the ep and they should put say you will in there as well.

Last edited by kak125; 05-07-2013 at 09:32 AM..
Old 05-07-2013, 09:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
agree re no promotion, it seems almost strange that it sold as well as it, those first few days.

i've never received any emails, only my husband received one from Ticketmaster, seemed entirely random... did you or other people here receive any email promotions?

at the shows it seems that they almost promoted it more before EP came out (and nobody believed that it will really happen ) than now when it actually is out... again, they should tell people at the show to just download the songs right there from their iphones. shirts people keep buying at shows are $40+, so what's $3.96 more? with 10 000 + people at every show, if just the small fraction downloads at the show or on their way home, seems like that would be a huge difference if we are talking about mere thousands sold all together.

NOLA show only, with 50 000+ people there... within a day of that show youtube views of my Sad Angel recording quickly and inexplicably jumped way ahead of all other FM live videos i had (regardless of how crappy they are).

to me, it looks like the only real promotion they have had is itunes banner. i think without that they would probably sell next to nothing, nobody would even know EP's out, just like nobody knows it's out on amazon now.

maybe i'm just missing something.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-07-2013, 09:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
at the shows it seems that they almost promoted it more before EP came out (and nobody believed that it will really happen ) than now when it actually is out... again, they should tell people at the show to just download the songs right there from their iphones. shirts people keep buying at shows are $40+, so what's $3.96 more? with 10 000 + people at every show, if just the small fraction downloads at the show or on their way home, seems like that would be a huge difference if we are talking about mere thousands sold all together.
I don't understand this and people keep bringing it up. Why would someone purchase something from itunes in the middle of a concert? I certainly would never do such a thing because what's the point? I can do it later when I get home and can actually listen to it.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
I don't understand this and people keep bringing it up. Why would someone purchase something from itunes in the middle of a concert? I certainly would never do such a thing because what's the point? I can do it later when I get home and can actually listen to it.
many people these days have a very short attention span, or a very little time; by the time they get home they may get distracted by something else.

people tweet, post pictures and videos as they record them, and comment on FB during shows all the time... so downloading music wouldn't seem that different or far fetched?

some people are very against all this while others are very for it, and still others don't care either way. the fact that someone records or takes pictures with today's equipment may not be really detracting them from actually enjoying the show and paying attention (unless you want to sing way off key and bounce around while recording lol).

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The Billboard charts have become somewhat of a joke. They have changed their rules for chart placement so many times in the last 15 years that they have lost credibility. The rules should be adjusted in certain cases (e.g. consumers switching from CD to digital being the most obvious one), but they have made the most random, nonsensical changes in the past, changes that have affected whether a song hits number one or even charts at all! One of the stupidest rules that they had in place was disallowing a song from charting because it did not have a physical (commercial) single, preventing songs that were clearly hits from getting due credit. Well, today, any song that gets airplay has the potential to chart, regardless of a commercial single.

Last edited by SpyNote; 05-07-2013 at 11:21 AM..
Old 05-07-2013, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote View Post
The Billboard charts have become somewhat of a joke. They have changed their rules for chart placement so many times in the last 15 years that they have lost credibility. The rules should be adjusted in certain cases (e.g. consumers switching from CD to digital being the most obvious one), but they have made the most random, nonsensical changes in the past, changes that have affected whether a song hits number one or even charts at all! One of the stupidest rules that they had in place was disallowing a song from charting because it did not have a physical (commercial) single, preventing songs that were clearly hits from getting due credit. Well, today, any song that gets airplay has the potential to chart, regardless of a commercial single.
Of all the bonehead rules adopted by Billboard, I think the stupidest is the one counting YouTube hits, which is the main reason why crap like "Harlem Shuffle" and "Gangnam Style" managed to become U.S. chart hits. And I wonder how Billboard is able to tease out and tally on the hits that originated in the U.S., or if they are counting all hits from any viewer in the world. Yes, the artist/label is paid some ridiculously nominal fee by YouTube (like $0.07 per 10 hits). But unless you are Justin Bieber or Psy, it's hard to make any money this way.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Of all the bonehead rules adopted by Billboard, I think the stupidest is the one counting YouTube hits, which is the main reason why crap like "Harlem Shuffle" and "Gangnam Style" managed to become U.S. chart hits. And I wonder how Billboard is able to tease out and tally on the hits that originated in the U.S., or if they are counting all hits from any viewer in the world. Yes, the artist/label is paid some ridiculously nominal fee by YouTube (like $0.07 per 10 hits). But unless you are Justin Bieber or Psy, it's hard to make any money this way.
I totally agree with you. I think its ridiculous for them to count youtube views. I think I was watching the Today show when they said that for the billboard chart they only count the views in the U.S. and not the entire world. They were saying about PSY's new song Gentleman having 70 million hits worldwide but that it wasn't going to be number #1 on the chart when it first came out because only 20 million or so were from the U.S. So then my question is how do they count it because you would think 20 million hits would qualify for number #1 ya know? I think I read they count Pandora and Spotify too as far as streaming goes but I could be wrong.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kak125 View Post
So then my question is how do they count it because you would think 20 million hits would qualify for number #1 ya know? I think I read they count Pandora and Spotify too as far as streaming goes but I could be wrong.
Because youtube hits are only one element that goes into the chart placement.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

interesting about counting youtube hits... would that be just youtube hits on the vids released by the artist / label, or any youtube posting of a specific song, by anybody (the latter would seem much harder to do)?