User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default How did you become a fan?

I guess I sort of took a complicated road to becoming a Mac fan! In the summer of 1984, I was almost 10. My parents, as indecisive as ever, decided they wanted to move south, so for two months, we lived with my uncle in South Carolina.

My mom got a job, my dad was helping my uncle fix up his house. That left my siblings and I to occupy ourselves indoors. Lucky for us, my uncle had MTV. I liked what most kids my age liked at the time- Madonna, Prince, Culture Club, Michael Jackson...I was thrilled to see all these vids. Then I saw the video that changed it all forever-Lindsey Buckingham:Go Insane.

I know anyone will think I'm nuts when I say this, but when I saw it, it's just like I knew this was who would be my favorite for the rest of my life.

In 1985, when I heard "I Can't Wait", I became a Stevie fan as well. That may seem logical to most of you, but at the time, I didn't know there was any connection between Stevie and Lindsey.

Then, in 1987, when I saw the video for "Big Love", I finally realized that Lindsey was also in a band and Stevie was in the band as well. That's when a became a FAN of Fleetwood Mac!!

Later, after purchasing more FMac and Christine's 1984 solo album, I realized I had heard a lot of the songs over the years by FMac and solo songs, but didn't know who sang them.

I've been a dedicated Mac fan since Tango, and guess I'll always remain one. For me though, it all started with Lindsey, and he's still my favorite!
Old 11-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Ledgie

My Dad.

Vivid childhood memories of Rumours being blasted from the living room.

"If you see somebody running down the street naked every single day, you stop looking up."- Stephanie Lynn Nicks
Old 11-19-2009, 05:35 PM
Senior Ledgie

watching the dance dvd at a friends house.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Senior Ledgie

Mine's a bit complicated.. When I was 12 or so I got really into old rock and pop music such as the Beatles, Queen etc. So my mum gave me a tape that she had when she was younger - on one side was Deep Purple and on the other side... Peter Green's FM. I loved this tape, I used to listen to it when I went to sleep on my old Walkman, my favourites were Green Manalishi and Oh Well. Then for some reason I completely forgot about it and never really made the connection between them and the Rumours line up of the band, even though I loved 'Dreams' whenever it came on the radio, but again never really looked any further into it.
Fast forward about 10 years and me and my boyfriend start collecting vinyl. I find a Best of Peter Green's FM with all the old songs I used to love on it and buy a copy of Rumours along with it. I was blown away by Rumours. It's such a perfect album And then as I found more and more of their records in charity shops etc, I realised just how many of their songs I did know but without realising it! I can't believe it took me this long to discover this bands catalogue, it's ridiculous, but I'm glad I did eventually
Old 11-19-2009, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was listening to FM in the womb!!! Thanks Mom!!
Old 11-19-2009, 09:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

School of Rock and my parents
Old 11-19-2009, 10:03 PM
Senior Ledgie

I had heard Rhiannon on the radio and liked it but wasn't sure who it was by but turned up the radio every time I heard it. Then in 1978 for my 12th birthday my brother bought me a plane ticket to go down to Freeport Texas to spend 2 weeks in the summer. Obviously that was the time when Rumors was all that existed in the world and it was my first time away from New York state, my first time at the ocean and my first time getting drunk on the beach (wine out of a deerskin.)

I remember hearing Never Going Back Again on the radio and I ABSOLUTELY loved it. I was telling my brother and sister about it the song but they couldn't figure out what the hell I was talking about. My brother had a copy of Rumors and he was playing it and NGBA came on and I flipped - I played the album every chance I could while I was in Texas. The trip ended and I flew home and I was telling my mom about the trip and of course Rumors.

I came home from somewhere a few days after that and when I opened the door to go up the stairs to my room there was my first copy of Rumors that my mom had bought for me. Best moment of my life - both Mom and I listened to it constantly that day
Old 11-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy4life View Post
I was listening to FM in the womb!!! Thanks Mom!!
This is my plan for my children

As for me, well I was searching for songs with my name in them...and the rest is history
Old 11-20-2009, 04:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember it was the summer of 1977 right around the 4th of July. I was just turned 6 years old and my mom and I were going somewhere in the car and Gold Dust Woman came on the radio. I remember vividly being transfixed by this song. I asked my mothe who it was and she told me. She bought me Rumours for Christmas that year, and the rest as they say is history....
Old 11-20-2009, 04:49 AM
Registered

I have always been peripherally aware of the band & its members. One of my earliest memories is of hearing the announcement of Stevie's RAL tour gig at Jones Beach on the radio. Up until 15, I had lumped them in with the likes of Boston & Peter Frampton- fluke successes of the late 70's, leading to bloated efforts in the early-mid 80's, and irrelevance thereafter. I remember distinctly watching the "Gypsy" video on VH1 1995'ish and thinking just how out of touch the band looked in the video.

Of course, 1997 happened, and the rest is history.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
I have always been peripherally aware of the band & its members. One of my earliest memories is of hearing the announcement of Stevie's RAL tour gig at Jones Beach on the radio. Up until 15, I had lumped them in with the likes of Boston & Peter Frampton- fluke successes of the late 70's, leading to bloated efforts in the early-mid 80's, and irrelevance thereafter. I remember distinctly watching the "Gypsy" video on VH1 1995'ish and thinking just how out of touch the band looked in the video.

Of course, 1997 happened, and the rest is history.
How many showws did you get a chance to see on that tour? that Dance I mean
Old 11-20-2009, 05:01 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
How many showws did you get a chance to see on that tour? that Dance I mean
Zero, unfortunately. The Phoenix concert was October 22, and two of my grandparents died October 6 & 26- it was a tough month.

I made up for it on the SYW tour as best as I could, but it would have been nice to see a Dance show- if the situation had been different.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok, for an English assingment last year - we watched School of Rock. Edge of Seventeen and Stevie had a good mention. I liked what I heard and waited. Then on a long roadtrip, mum got out some cds. I was absolutley in awe when she played Rumours.

So here I am one year on! December 1st is Fleetwood Mac Day for me - becuase its when they annouced Unleashead and I downloaded my first song.

I love Stevie and FM, even though I have endured little bits of teasing!!!
Old 11-20-2009, 09:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My mom is a casual fan and brought home the Greatest Hits cassette in 1988. Of course, I didn't think my mom could like any good music, so needless to say I was shocked that I liked what I was hearing. I lost interest for awhile, but of course the Dance Reunion happened and I was hooked for life.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowi View Post
Ok, for an English assingment last year - we watched School of Rock.
The state of education today frightens me.

Anyway, it was like 3 or so years ago(?). I was making a list of the TITANIC AMERICAN ALBUMS OF MY LIFETIME (1977-Present) -- just for fun and to catalogue my experiences and to get a sense if I was missing anything important. So I read my list to a friend of mine.

He said: "I can't think of anything you're missing... except... what about Rumours -- I know it's not fashionable to like that album these days, but. . ."

And I interrupted: "What's Rumours?"

He exclaimed: "What's Rumours??!!! And you call yourself an American!"

I take that sort of challenge VERY SERIOUSLY!

And that conversation also turned into a conversation about 1979, at which point my friend also mentioned Tusk. And I was thinking: Fleetwood Mac? That name rings a bell. Do I know them?!?

Anyway, the next day I went to Virgin: picked up both the remastered Rumours and Tusk.

I put on Rumours, leafing through the insert booklet while the songs played, trying to diagram the love affairs, laughing that I know this song ("Dreams"!), shaking off the Clintons when "Don't Stop" came on... and THEN: "Go Your Own Way"!!!

It was as if I finally found the song I had been searching for all these years of spending big bucks on collecting music. This is what I had been missing and needing.

The next day I bought the White album... and I've been trying to dig deeper into the music and life that birthed and that generated from "Go Your Own Way" ever since.

To this day: my friend regrets ever having mentioned Rumours. He's afraid I've joined the cult of Stevie Nicks.

This list might interest you. It is unchanged since then, except for the addition of the Mac.

THE TITANIC AMERICAN ALBUMS OF MY LIFETIME (1977-Present)

Rumours (1977), Fleetwood Mac
Once Upon a Time. . . (1977), Donna Summer
More Songs About Buildings and Food (1978), Talking Heads
Darkness on the Edge of Town (1978), Bruce Springsteen
Tusk (1979), Fleetwood Mac
Fear of Music (1979), Talking Heads
Bad Girls (1979), Donna Summer
Remain In Light (1980), Talking Heads
Take It Off (1981), Chic
Fear of a Black Planet (1990), Public Enemy
Apocalypse '91: The Enemy Strikes Black (1991), Public Enemy
Bazerk Bazerk Bazerk (1991), Son of Bazerk
O(+> (1992), Prince
Blood On The Dance Floor (1997), Michael Jackson

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 11-20-2009 at 10:11 AM..