Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default MTV's VMAs - I'm officially old

I guess this means I'm officially old, because I can't believe how atrocious every musical performance has been. Even Pink seemed more concerned about stuntwork and explosions than what her vocals (strained) sounded like.

Rihanna was dreadful.
Jonas Brothers - Hanson 2.0 without the hooks.
T.I. - garbage.
Katy Perry was augmented by overdubs and still managed to sound like crap.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I am 26, and I have barely a flicker of an interest in current music.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Ledgie

I just love Russell Brand, though! I have no idea who he is, but I loved his rant about how we should, 'for the love of god,' vote for Obama

I don't like very much of modern music either, but I watch the VMA's anyway because it's tradition and fun.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Most "new" music does tend to be a bit boring.. at least to my ears.

And Russell "dress up like Osama Bin Laden the day after 9/11" Brand, the host, was sure a hoot!
Old 09-08-2008, 09:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

OMG! I was about to post this topic! The whole show sucked major ass! More like the "Crack Head Awards"! The performances were dull and what was up with Christina Aguilera lip synching and that outfit! hahaha!

And then Jordan Sparks came out and said how the people who wore promise rings didn't want to be sluts.

The host looked like he was from another planet.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I was surprised that Christina Aguilera so obviously lip-synched.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigodstevie View Post
I just love Russell Brand, though! I have no idea who he is, but I loved his rant about how we should, 'for the love of god,' vote for Obama

I don't like very much of modern music either, but I watch the VMA's anyway because it's tradition and fun.
That's part of the reason I never watch these things. It can never be just about the music anymore. I've wondered why we all have to be so socially conscious about everything? I thought music was supposed to be a diversion from everyday problems. Shows like this leaves people with little to no escape from work and politics. I like what Matchbox Twenty says before shows where they say to forget about what's going on outside these doors and to just listen to the music.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermicious knid View Post
Well, I am 26, and I have barely a flicker of an interest in current music.
Same here! Same age and I don't have much of an interest in any of it. I think most good music stopped around 1999. I don't like the hip-hop era or the over-commercialization of music today. It seems stuff happened in the 90's, 60's and 70's that would never happen today. If something like "Bittersweet Symphony" or "Classical Gas" were released today, neither would never have gotten past the college station circuit.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought the Britney/Jonah Hill thing was kindof wierd, but I was glad to see Brit win a couple of awards. [That thing with the mic though...wtf?]

I like the Jonas Brothers. I admit. I thought they did ok at the VMAs. I just find it hilarious that little 10-12 year old girls try to be sexy for them, when its not like the guys will even have sex with them in the first place...

IMO Russell Brand should have kept his fcking mouth shut about the politics. 1st off, it is a MUSIC AWARDS. [VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS], so why mention politics instead of something that has to do with the show/people at the show. and 2nd, not everyone likes Obama, yes there are racist people in America, and its not like one person voting matters anyways. The POTUSA is picked by the Electoral College, which is a group of elite members of each state. The popular vote means nothing and even if Obama did win Pop vote, if McCain wins Electoral vote he gets in. simple as that. And I doubt that the EC watches the VMAs. [And for that last rant alone is why I'm not registering to vote when I turn 18. Thank you APUSHistory for that ]
Old 09-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I havent watched the VMAs yet...but I DVRed it. I HATE the Jonas Brothers *yuck*...I like Miley...I like Rihana...I LOVE Katy Perry..I love Kayne(I got his shutter shades HAHA)

I did watch Katy Perrys perfrormance on youtube and "I Kissed A Girl" is like my new favorite current date song...I dont know why but it is HAHA

~Love, Caitlin~
Old 09-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislit18 View Post
I thought the Britney/Jonah Hill thing was kindof wierd, but I was glad to see Brit win a couple of awards. [That thing with the mic though...wtf?]

I like the Jonas Brothers. I admit. I thought they did ok at the VMAs. I just find it hilarious that little 10-12 year old girls try to be sexy for them, when its not like the guys will even have sex with them in the first place...

IMO Russell Brand should have kept his fcking mouth shut about the politics. 1st off, it is a MUSIC AWARDS. [VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS], so why mention politics instead of something that has to do with the show/people at the show. and 2nd, not everyone likes Obama, yes there are racist people in America, and its not like one person voting matters anyways. The POTUSA is picked by the Electoral College, which is a group of elite members of each state. The popular vote means nothing and even if Obama did win Pop vote, if McCain wins Electoral vote he gets in. simple as that. And I doubt that the EC watches the VMAs. [And for that last rant alone is why I'm not registering to vote when I turn 18. Thank you APUSHistory for that ]

Hey Christine..

I can't say I blame you in the least. It's SOOO sad how everything is "geared" toward politics, where it shouldn't, IMO.. And as someone else mentioned, why can't a 'Music Awards show" be just that? It's really sad that people who turn 18, and who can legally be registered to vote don't want to, and I SOOO see and feel your frustrations. I remembered when I turned 18 (i think-- lol) I was SOOOO excited as I couldn't wait to go and actually register to vote! Can't even remember who I voted for back then in 76' - but all I know is, that's when times were SOO simple, and the people running for President back then, were actually "President worthy" on both sides.. LOL.. Again IMO..

There is magic all around you everytime you walk in the room.....
Old 09-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmccarrell View Post
That's part of the reason I never watch these things. It can never be just about the music anymore. I've wondered why we all have to be so socially conscious about everything? I thought music was supposed to be a diversion from everyday problems. Shows like this leaves people with little to no escape from work and politics. I like what Matchbox Twenty says before shows where they say to forget about what's going on outside these doors and to just listen to the music.

Well to be fair, politics and social issues have always been a part of popular music. Back to Pete Seeger and Woody Guthrie and the blues. Even further back with classical music. It's not exactly a new thing to combine the two.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm 42 and I don't watch any award event anymore (except for the Oscars, sometimes). And believe me I used to be a grammies fan.

But I read headlines about Britney and her return was awesome. Was it?
Old 09-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I'm 42 and I don't watch any award event anymore (except for the Oscars, sometimes). And believe me I used to be a grammies fan.

It was! I was SO happy for her, and she really looked great! We just watched the "Enews" this morning, and saw her clip on there, as I don't watch those award shows anymore either..

There is magic all around you everytime you walk in the room.....
Old 09-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post

She didnt do anything other then read the teleprompter at the beginning of the show

~Love, Caitlin~