Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-08-2006, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Gypsy guitar solo

For you musicians... Is the guitar solo that's played on the studio recording hard to replicate onstage? It has sounded different every time I've heard it onstage. Why is that?

Last edited by SpyNote; 08-08-2006 at 09:33 PM..
Old 08-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote
For you musicians... Is the guitar solo that's played on the studio recording hard to replicate onstage? It has sounded different every time I've heard it onstage. Why is that?
It's very fast.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-08-2006, 10:28 PM
Ledgie

Also, because the studio version is various riffs all layered over one another, so it would be practically impossible to reproduce it exactly. Plus, why would any guitar player ever want to play the exact same thing on stage as he recorded in the studio? Yaaaaawn! I think Lindsey enjoys reworking his songs a little to get a different live sound, early Gypsy being a good example of this (although, the early live versions were far inferior to the masterful studio track--but now its gotten pretty good live).

Adam
Old 08-09-2006, 07:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think that he loves to re-work his guitar all the time...
Live BIG LOVE...
He plays that pretty fast too!!!

For never have I been a blue calm sea...I have always been a storm, always been a storm... sln
~~eclipse~~
Old 08-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by larg
--but now its gotten pretty good live).
One person's opinion...many would disagree...like me, for instance. The song is a studio entity, keep it off the stage. It just doesn't translate well to a live situation.

UNLESS, they just change the thing altogether...such as the AHI "acoustic" version. Now THAT worked.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
One person's opinion...many would disagree...like me, for instance. The song is a studio entity, keep it off the stage. It just doesn't translate well to a live situation.

UNLESS, they just change the thing altogether...such as the AHI "acoustic" version. Now THAT worked.
Dude, I agree with you 1000%! Although the SYW live version was ok, I could live without it. That AHI version was inredible! I was there, and it sent chills up me!
Old 08-09-2006, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
It's very fast.
I don't think it's that fast. When compared to lots of lead guitarists it's not that fast at all. And then there are the "Shred" guitarists (if you have the stomach for things like that ) that make him look like a snail.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
Dude, I agree with you 1000%! Although the SYW live version was ok, I could live without it. That AHI version was inredible! I was there, and it sent chills up me!
AHI is Arizona Heart Benefit, yes? Can someone post, please? I'm curious now!!
Old 08-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Oh yes, that was sheer brilliance. I wish they had brought it back into the set like that, but I guess there's always hope for next year. (Are you listening, Lindsey?!)
Old 08-09-2006, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie
I don't think it's that fast. When compared to lots of lead guitarists it's not that fast at all. And then there are the "Shred" guitarists (if you have the stomach for things like that ) that make him look like a snail.
It sure sounds fast to me. On paper**, it's 16th notes with heavy syncopation & dotted eighth notes in a sort of counterpoint. I don't maintain that there are not guitarists all over the place who can play faster. I'm sure there are. But the Gypsy outro solo is some wicked picking. I mean, come on!

**I'm looking at the Warner Bros. book Guitar Anthology Series notation of the solo.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-10-2006, 12:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

IMHO, the reason that so many live versions of Gypsy don't translate well is because Stevie's voice really wasn't all there on the Mirage tour. The best part of those bootlegs is definitely Lindsey's guitar work. Everything else just seemed to suffer.

BUT...I am a huge fan of The Dance version of Gypsy. It's just very light and very soothing and also a very tight performance (yes I'm aware that there was likely overdubbing).
Old 08-10-2006, 01:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara
AHI is Arizona Heart Benefit, yes? Can someone post, please? I'm curious now!!
Gypsy (9-23-00)
Old 08-10-2006, 01:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ya-huh.. I was watching from the lip of the stage in Auburn -SYW 03, he went into a transe during that part of Gypsy... so I did this... and he popped out of his transe and did this... ... he was definitely doing some fancy finger pickin, but I couldn't tell if one of those shadowy guitar players in the back was filling in at the time or not. I'm not the type to think of those things when I'm standing 3 feet in front of The Man.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote
Thanks! Don't have time to listen right now but I'm looking forward to it!
Old 08-10-2006, 05:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
It sure sounds fast to me. On paper**, it's 16th notes with heavy syncopation & dotted eighth notes in a sort of counterpoint. I don't maintain that there are not guitarists all over the place who can play faster. I'm sure there are. But the Gypsy outro solo is some wicked picking. I mean, come on!

**I'm looking at the Warner Bros. book Guitar Anthology Series notation of the solo.
Oh, I'm not saying it's some good playing. The rhythms aren't exactly "standard" which is bound to make it tricky enough, but I was just saying it isn't that fast. I don't really want to get into any arguments, so I'll maybe conceed defeat

It's a fantastic solo, and subtle as well. It does beat you over the head. Hell, first time I listened to the song I didn't really notice it.

P.S. David, why does no-one on the internet give note durations their proper names? I never see people use "quaver", "minum" etc. It's always 8th notes and 1/2 notes. Why? As a classically trained musician I'd always been taught the proper names and had never heard "8th notes" until I started reading music related things on the 'net. Is it just for brevity, or is there another reason? Just wondering if you can shed some light on this because I've been wondering about it for ages.