Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-16-2005, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default M S C A E

Hiya - kinda new around here - not sure if this has been discussed yet

but -

does anybody know what "M S C A E" stands for???

Even the first clue !?

Can't for the LIFE of me figure it out!

Old 08-16-2005, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Tracker
Hiya - kinda new around here - not sure if this has been discussed yet

but -

does anybody know what "M S C A E" stands for???

Even the first clue !?

Can't for the LIFE of me figure it out!

I've seen it used as college? degree. Master of Science in Automotive Engineering, but some say it may be a 'code' for NBC/MSNBC.

Inspired Angel: Stevie Nicks
Old 08-16-2005, 09:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

when syw came out i looked it up on the internet...now when you look it up it is all about lindseys's lyrics..etc...bu i recall at the time i found a site that mentioned it in reference to astronomy...so maybe something like that...much like miranda...and the miranda star...i havent been able to find the site again tho...i will poke around some later to maybe find it.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i found this information on the bn site but havent verified the sources:

This quote could probably explain that MSNBC=MSCAE thing: "Murrow gave that famous parting speech when he left CBS, warning what would happen if we didn't take responsibility for TV and use it in the right way," Buckingham explains. "Obviously, we haven't. So 'Murrow' is just a song about how the media gets abused and how it is used for propaganda. Even the fact that somebody like GE would own NBC. That whole connection - down to the agendas that go into what you see on NBC, because it is owned by a weapons maker. It's just kind of weird and not very good. Not good for the kids. It diverts and deludes."

[Edited May 9, 2003] And here's the latest on that [from Performing Songwriter]:
"It was inspired by watching TV and seeing what it's become, how horrendous it's become as a tool to do exactly what Edward R. Murrow warned against when he gave his famous speech. He said if TV is allowed to distract and delude people, then there will be a large, large price to pay down the line. And we're seeing that coming true on so many levels. Especially in the world today, where all the media is basically owned and controlled and edited to a certain point of view, in the name of objective news, by all the same people who are tied in with another company. A good example would be GE owning NBC. Murrow would be turning over in his grave if he were to see all of this. Not just the propaganda that passes for news, but the trivialization of so many things, and the intent to distract and delude that he was talking about."

The fact that he keeps bringing up NBC makes it almost for sure that MSCAE is MSNBC...

[Edited May 28, 2003] More from LB:
"Edward R. Murrow was around when there was some standard for reporting on television. When he retired, he gave this speech about how TV was being used to distract and amuse and not particularly educate anyone. He said if the people responsible for what was on TV didn’t strike a balance, “history would take its revenge.” I wrote that song during the OJ Simpson trial. In some ways, that was the beginning of a new low, with Court TV popping up out of the blue and all that stuff which pretends to be objective news reportage, [but] is completely opportunistic."

From VH1...
Old 08-16-2005, 09:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Angel
but some say it may be a 'code' for NBC/MSNBC.
Livia was able to ask Lindsey a few questions during a radio interview at the start of the SYW Tour on 4/17/03. She asked the Ledgies for suggestions the day before, which was very cool!

This is from her post after the interview:

And my hands are still shaking! I am so freaked out I can barely type...yes, I got to talk to him, BRIEFLY, after the interview...

Well, first of all, they started an hour late - not really sure why at first, we thought they had their time zones mixed up. They FINALLY called the "hotline," which is actually a red phone, and just said they were running late and asked if we were already on the air. Byran told them that the current song playing was about to end, they asked how much time we needed, Bryan said 5 minutes, they said, "Okay, 'cause that's all we can give you, anyway." It was VERY fast!

Bryan already had his own list of questions, and being that it is HIS show, afterall, I couldn't exactly force him to ask mine. However, I did give him a list of the "top 10" from the Ledge. He liked the new technology question, so that was the only one he asked on the air.

Damn, if LB could just have given SHORTER answers, we would have had time to ask more questions!

I'm gonna jump around here a bit and skip to the end. I asked LB, off the air, what Red Rover is about. This is gonna blow your minds! He said that he imagined a set of Greek Gods looking down on earth, on the human race, watching us be self-destructive and wondering what we were going to do next. And should the Gods pull the plug on the human race? It was wild! I'm sorry I don't remember verbatim, I was jotting down notes as fast as I could while he was talking, but that was basically it.

Let me get caught up here at work for a second and eat my lunch and I'll post more.

MSCAE in Murrow is simply "free association," he couldn't come right out and say MSNBC, for example.

Christy, your enthusiasm is cracking me up, girl!

Okay, as soon as the interview ended and they played Peacekeeper, Bryan asked if LB could spare (me a little) a couple more minutes to talk to a fan who was in the studio. He said okay, but it had to be quick. I said hello, that I loved the album and they should all be very proud of it, and pleeeease don't make us wait another 16 years for more new material. He laughed and said, "We won't, I promise." I asked him if he gets online much and is he aware of the various Mac sites and message boards? He said no and that he doesn't really know much about them. I said, "Well, on behalf of my friends online, I just have a couple quick questions about some of your songs, what's Red Rover about?" He answered (see above), and then when I started to ask about MSCAE in Murrow, I said, "And another quick question (he interrupted, "Okay, but it really has to be quick")...about Murrow.." and he interrupted me AGAIN and went into a 30-second explanation about the song and when he finally finished, I got the MSCAE blurb in there, and he answered that. He said he had to go, and was looking forward to the tour. I said thanks and good-bye and that was it!

Oh yeah, they gave me a cool, cobalt blue coffee mug that says "The Year of Fleetwood Mac" on it too!

What Bryan was trying to ask him, when he mentioned the tour running from May-July, and what's next, was supposed to be about the 2nd leg/world tour, but LB talked about doing another album instead. So, although he didn't really answer Bryan's question, he answered one of "our" questions.

Last edited by Cour; 08-16-2005 at 09:52 PM..
Old 08-16-2005, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cour
He said that he imagined a set of Greek Gods looking down on earth, on the human race, watching us be self-destructive and wondering what we were going to do next. And should the Gods pull the plug on the human race? It was wild! [/I]
thanks for posting cour
Old 08-16-2005, 10:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
MSCAE in Murrow is simply "free association," he couldn't come right out and say MSNBC, for example.
Why not? Sheryl Crow came right out and said:

Watch out sister, watch out brother,
Watch our children while they kill each other
With a gun they bought at Wal-Mart discount stores

Old 08-16-2005, 10:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Why not? Sheryl Crow came right out and said:

Watch out sister, watch out brother,
Watch our children while they kill each other
With a gun they bought at Wal-Mart discount stores
I don't know, if he gives a radio interview again you can ask him
Old 08-16-2005, 10:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't know, if he gives a radio interview again you can ask him
I think it was just something he did so that he could come across as an artiste in interviews, just like the vocabulary words he chooses to use. It's rather pretentious in the song, but it doesn't really bother me in the end.

Old 08-16-2005, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I'm not so impressed with his "free association" in this case. It's hard to get a message across if no one knows what the heck you're talking about.

Old 08-16-2005, 11:03 PM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts
I'm not so impressed with his "free association" in this case. It's hard to get a message across if no one knows what the heck you're talking about.
Yeah, I agree. He's not quite the rebel he'd like to think he is
Old 08-16-2005, 11:07 PM
Lux
Old 08-16-2005, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
I think it was just something he did so that he could come across as an artiste in interviews, just like the vocabulary words he chooses to use. It's rather pretentious in the song, but it doesn't really bother me in the end.
Perhaps he used MSNBC in the original lyrics and some lawyer scared him off of from using it. Just a guess.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Isn't that Today programme on NBC?
Yes, but I don't think there was any way to know when they were finishing the album that Warners was going to line up that NBC promotion. If that's where you were going with the question.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:11 PM
Lux
Old 08-16-2005, 11:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
I don't think he would think of himself as a political rebel, nor has he claimed to be, as far as I know. Not conservative but not intentionally rebellious either.
I agree, though I thought his SYW songs were his most rebellious of all.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 08-16-2005, 11:17 PM
Lux
Old 08-16-2005, 11:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
. . . Yes, although I'd call Murrow a commentary more than a rebellion.
I see Red Rover as the most stinging in that he assumes the gods are angry with humans and the powers to be for screwing up the Earth.

save the cheerleader - save the world