Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-27-2005, 09:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Texas bans homosexual and bisexual foster parents

Sorry that I have not yet found a decent article not from a biased site about this issue. I'm looking. But here's an obviously anti-gay site that posted an article about it.

http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2005/apr/05042204.html

Texas Bans Homosexual Foster Parents

AUSTIN, TX., April 22, 2005., (LifeSiteNews.com) Texan politicians voted 81-to-58 to ensure foster children are placed in the homes of normal parents, prohibiting gays, lesbians and bisexuals from becoming foster parents. The decision came as a result of an amendment added to the Child Protective Services reform bill (SB 6) unanimously passed by the state Senate, after which it went to the House of Representatives. Several Democrats argued against the amendment.

As a result of the amendment any individual who applied to be a foster parent, or a foster parent whose performance is being evaluated, must list whether he or she is homosexual or bisexual. If the answer is yes then the state would ban him or her from becoming a foster parent. The state also would not be able to place a child with that foster parent or allow a child to remain in the care with that foster parent.

According to Sen. Jane Nelson, R-Lewisville "Senate Bill 6 is an omnibus Child Protective Services reform bill that calls for, among other things, private child placing agencies to recruit all foster and adoptive homes and arrange all adoptions for abused and neglected children."

Homosexual special interest and lobby groups were quick to condemn the amendment.

I am so angry about this. I found out about it from watching "The Daily Show" last night and I was just enraged. It just gets worse and worse because apparently the law allows them to decide if someone is lying about his or her sexual orientation and then deny the person foster children based on that. Also, on "The Daily Show" they showed this "debate" between represesntatives from the opposite sides that was broadcasted on CNN, and the anti-gay woman said this was "based on science" because a study in Illinois showed that children are 11 times more likely to be abused by homosexual parents than heterosexual ones.

Old 04-27-2005, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
Sorry that I have not yet found a decent article not from a biased site about this issue. I'm looking. But here's an obviously anti-gay site that posted an article about it.

http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2005/apr/05042204.html

Texas Bans Homosexual Foster Parents

AUSTIN, TX., April 22, 2005., (LifeSiteNews.com) Texan politicians voted 81-to-58 to ensure foster children are placed in the homes of normal parents, prohibiting gays, lesbians and bisexuals from becoming foster parents. The decision came as a result of an amendment added to the Child Protective Services reform bill (SB 6) unanimously passed by the state Senate, after which it went to the House of Representatives. Several Democrats argued against the amendment.

As a result of the amendment any individual who applied to be a foster parent, or a foster parent whose performance is being evaluated, must list whether he or she is homosexual or bisexual. If the answer is yes then the state would ban him or her from becoming a foster parent. The state also would not be able to place a child with that foster parent or allow a child to remain in the care with that foster parent.

According to Sen. Jane Nelson, R-Lewisville "Senate Bill 6 is an omnibus Child Protective Services reform bill that calls for, among other things, private child placing agencies to recruit all foster and adoptive homes and arrange all adoptions for abused and neglected children."

Homosexual special interest and lobby groups were quick to condemn the amendment.

I am so angry about this. I found out about it from watching "The Daily Show" last night and I was just enraged. It just gets worse and worse because apparently the law allows them to decide if someone is lying about his or her sexual orientation and then deny the person foster children based on that. Also, on "The Daily Show" they showed this "debate" between represesntatives from the opposite sides that was broadcasted on CNN, and the anti-gay woman said this was "based on science" because a study in Illinois showed that children are 11 times more likely to be abused by homosexual parents than heterosexual ones.

How can people get away with such crap really, I mean it is ridiculour calling heterosexual couples "normal". I mean some homosexual couples would be more traditional in the values they hold than some of the heterosexual couples of today.

The whole idea is just disgusting, I am straight but it upsets me to see groups of people being discriminated against just because they are different.

My aunty is a single, lesbian Mum now I personally wouldn't have let her have her child, not because she is a lesbian but because she doesn't provide a stable environment for her daughter.

And the idea that homosexuals abuse more than heterosexuals,
Old 04-27-2005, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Here's another article

http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/...e/11435812.htm
Bill bans homosexuals from being foster parents

NATALIE GOTT

Associated Press

AUSTIN - Gays, lesbians and bisexuals would not be allowed to become foster parents under an amendment added to the Child Protective Services reform bill tentatively approved in the House on Tuesday.

Rep. Robert Talton, R-Pasadena, sponsored the amendment approved on a 81-58 vote.

"I don't think it is right for young children to be exposed to this type of behavior when they are young and innocent," Talton said. "It is our responsibilty to make sure that we protect our most vulnerable children and I don't think we are doing that if we allow a foster parent that is homosesxual or bisexual."

Several Democrats argued against the amendment.

"We are here to put children first, not ideology," Rep. Mike Villareal, D-San Antonio said. "How are we going to implement Representative Talton's inquisition?"

Under the amendment, an applicant to be a foster parent or a foster parent whose performance is being evaluated must list whether he or she is homosexual or bisexual.

If the applicant is, the state would ban him or her from becoming a foster parent. The state also would not be able to place a child with that foster parent or allow a child to remain in the care with that foster parent.

Villareal tried to pass an amendment that would ask the applicant to list their sexual orientation but not disqualify him or her from becoming a foster parent because of his or her sexual orientation.

Rep. Garnet Coleman, D-Houston, questioned why the Legislature would want to eliminate one potential foster care provider with a clean, safe home because "of one characteristic."

Talton said he believed it was important that children be able to establish their own sexuality.

"What I am trying to prevent is a learned behavior," Talton said.

The overall bill was tentatively approved on a 126-16 vote with two present not voting. It is expected to get final approval on Wednesday.

The Senate version of the CPS bill does not ban homosexuals or bisexuals from becoming foster parents.

---

The Child Protective Services bill is SB 6.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

All Americans must be fundamental christians according to these people and in the current political environment (thanks to Karl Rove) it is political suicide to suggest otherwise. Thus, political short sightedness at the expense of a harmless group of non-mailstream is the price paid. Sad - very true.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 04-27-2005, 09:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

...cuz we all know heterosexuals make GREAT foster parents .

Oh the horror stories I've heard about foster homes...
Old 04-27-2005, 09:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I need to run off to class but before I go I want to just say (though y'all already know, I'm sure) that it makes me feel so good to know I have y'all's support and that I can post information like this and it disturbs y'all as much as it disturbs me. I could bring this up in one of my classes or at some social gathering here and the only people who would speak up would say, "What's wrong with that?" and then go off on "people who choose such lifestyles," and they would say really rude and hateful things, not even realizing that I'm one of those gays they're talking about. It's a different world here. It's great to have all of you and this place.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation To quote someone...

I know: "More bull**** courtesy of those braindead simpletons known as Texans..."

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 04-27-2005, 09:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I do support you all the way, but hey, straight, gay whatever, we are all human, and although we feel it for different people, we are all able to express and feel that great emotion of love, and that binds us together tighter than many imagine. Gay love and straight love aren't different they are no different because it's the LOVE that matters, but hey what would I know, maybe I look at it too simply because I don't discriminate, all I know is that I seem not in the minority here, but in the minority in general, so I must be wrong heh
Old 04-27-2005, 09:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
I know: "More bull**** courtesy of those braindead simpletons known as Texans..."
Hey now, let's not get personal! There are a lot of good people in this state it's just that they're not running our legislature that's all!
Old 04-27-2005, 09:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Oh yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdweller
Hey now, let's not get personal! There are a lot of good people in this state it's just that they're not running our legislature that's all!
I forgot, My older brother lives in Texas, But not for much longer (Moving back to Oklahoma mainly cause his whole family HATES Texas!)

Ya know I give ya Texas Ledgies hell cause I care

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 04-27-2005, 09:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Geez that's always the American excuse isn't it "I didn't vote for him". I swear a majority say it ey, makes you wonder about the voting process
Old 04-27-2005, 10:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

People are f**ked up.

All I have to say is that Karma's a bitch. Their time will come when they will be judged like they have judged us. It won't be pretty.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynan88
Geez that's always the American excuse isn't it "I didn't vote for him". I swear a majority say it ey, makes you wonder about the voting process
Well I can tell you this much, it's all I can do not to walk over to the capitol (because I am that close to it everyday) and drop an atom bomb on "Governor Good Hair" a.k.a. Rick Perry and all his evil cronies. Look, I'd love to make change but I just don't want to destroy my future.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
Ya know I give ya Texas Ledgies hell cause I care
I know. And I also know that all the "mock?" hatred for Texas comes from a little place I like to call jealousy.

I too kid because I love.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well I can tell you this much, it's all I can do not to walk over to the capitol (because I am that close to it everyday) and drop an atom bomb on "Governor Good Hair" a.k.a. Rick Perry and all his evil cronies. Look, I'd love to make change but I just don't want to destroy my future.
No I know exactly what you mean, it just sucks always being right when no one else realises it!

It is hard for me who is politcally active to accept that a majority of the population couldn't care less about politics though, it seems alien to me but I accept I seem alien to them.