User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-01-2004, 02:05 AM
Ledgie

Red face Introducing myself

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking here for a couple weeks and thought I'd finally get around to introducing myself.

My name is Eileen, I'm 29 years old and I live near Scranton, Pa. I've been a Mac fan since Tango, but had never seen them live until three weeks ago at the Ford Pavilion in Scranton. The show was definitely worth the 17 years I waited to see it! Even my friend who went with me, who wasn't all that familiar with the Mac beyond Landslide and a few other tunes, was blown away by how awesome the concert was. I'd have to rank it up there with probably the top three shows I've ever seen. I especially enjoyed how the band has dusted off a few Tusk songs I never expected to hear them do live--I've always LOVED Beautiful Child, and IKINW absolutely rocks! At the same time, I was quite surprised to hear nothing at all from Mirage, though after reading other people's comments and the track list from LIB, I know that Gypsy and Eyes of the World have made appearances at some point during the tour. I sorely regret never having seen the band while Christine was still with them, and there was definitely an empty place on the stage, but it was a lot less empty than I expected. As it happens, this was the first time the Mac in its Rumours incarnation has visited Scranton since at least the Mirage tour and possibly even longer, and unfortunately, I didn't have the money to travel to see them back in '97.

The band has really been a recurring presence in my life for the past 17 years, more so than a constant obsession. There have been times when I got so sick of hearing some of the songs on the radio that the CD's went onto my shelf and sat there untouched for a while. But I always come back to the Mac eventually, and of course, there are some gems that will never get played on any radio station around here, like some of the hidden classics on Tusk, or live versions like the kicking banjo rendition of SYLM on The Dance or any live version of Rhiannon.

I've been thoroughly enjoying the wealth of information on this site--major kudos to Marty and Lisa and whoever else works to make it as wonderful as it is--and also reading the thoughts of my fellow fans. Although, I don't know how y'all are finding the money to pay for front-row seats at multiple venues--I was lucky to afford my one concert with lawn seats! I may try to check out the rescheduled show in Camden in September, but money may be the deciding factor there. Oh well, in the absence of being able to afford multiple shows, I've been enjoying all the reviews posted here. I'm sorry to hear that intoxicated fans have put a damper on the shows for some people--I never could understand why people would want to spend so much on a ticket and then get so wasted that they probably don't even remember the show.

A couple of funny stories about the year I first was hit by the Mac Attack. In 1987, it was terminally uncool to be an eighth-grader listening to a band like Fleetwood Mac, at least where I come from. All the boys in my class were listening to AC/DC, Metallica and Iron Maiden, the girls were listening to the Bangles and Debbie Gibson, and everybody was listening to Bon Jovi and Def Leppard. As far as my classmates were concerned, Fleetwood Mac was one of those old bands that their parents liked--horrors! And I put up with a LOt of teasing from the boys and eye-rolling from the girls because of it. So one day, our teacher is asking us about our favorite singers and groups, and a group of fairly popular girls said, "Stevie Nicks, oh yeah, we love Stevie!" I just looked at them and started laughing. "Um, you do know she's the lead singer of Fleetwood Mac, right?" They had absolutely no idea--despite the fact that Seven Wonders had been all over the radio just a few months earlier! Thank God, for the sake of the younger fans of today, Mr. William Jefferson Clinton restored the Mac to their rightful place of coolness. (I can barely stomach much of today's pop music, and the songs I do like are usually by Stevie disciples like Sheryl Crow and Sarah McLachlan.)

And the second story: At end of eighth grade, while lamenting that Lindsey had left the band and the Shake the Cage tour wasn't coming to Scranton, I had the exciting experience of being a finalist in the 1988 National Spelling Bee. The local paper that was sponsoring my trip to Washington published a number of stories about me--first when I won the school contest, then when I won the regional finals, and then all during the week I was at the finals. Being that I was absolutely OBSESSED with the Mac that year, I managed to slip a Mac reference or two into almost every interview. My prim and proper Catholic school principal was not amused when the headline the day after I won the school contest read, "Fleetwood Mac is help at Wyoming Area Catholic." And throughout the entire adventure, the stories related how I challenged everyone in sight to spell "Rhiannon," my comment that I'd give my right arm to look like Stevie Nicks and even how I went up to my hotel room during the break between rounds and listened to Say You Love Me (my favorite Mac song that week) to help calm my jittery nerves. I still have all the clippings of course and I was tempted to see if one of the local radio stations could get copies of them to the band at the recent concert, but I never did.

Lately I've been discovering the pre-BN era, and I'm surprised at how much I enjoy a lot of it. I'd never been much of a blues fan, but Then Play On is an awesome record, and I absolutely ADORE Bare Trees. I was intrigued by all the superlatives used to describe Peter Green, and he is truly an amazing talent, but I was surprised to find that it was Danny Kirwan's songs that really leaped out at me. It's a shame that his contribution is usually overshadowed by Green and Spencer and Welch, and a terrible tragedy what has become of him since then. But I guess that discussion is for the "Pre-Rumours" forum.

On a more on-topic note, I also think it's a travesty that Lindsey isn't routinely mentioned among the greatest rock 'n' roll guitarists of all time. I mean, the guy can do AMAZING things with his guitar. Just listening to his finger work on Never Going Back Again sends me into ecstacy every time!

Well, that's probably way more than you all wanted to know about me in an introductory post, so I'll shut up now. Looking forward to reading more great Mac discussion here.

BW

P.S. If anyone wants to say hi via e-mail, feel free, and I should have my MSN and AIM names up shortly as well.

P.P.S. The username comes from a non-Mac song--I couldn't find anything suitable from the Mac that wasn't already taken.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Welcome Eileen

(I guess I'm not the best person to introduce you considering I'm a tad new as well)

I totally agree with you on a lot of your stuff as well, Lindsey so needs to recognised in the mainstream more for his enormous talent and those stories of yours are hilarious, unfortunately I don't even know a Stevie Nicks fan in school with me at the moment and the only Mac work any of friends know is the Dance.

Post Lots,
Tynan
Old 07-01-2004, 07:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi Eileen! Welcome to The Ledge

I know (I'm sure many others here do too) the feeling of being the lone Mac fan in school. Those other people don't (or didn't!) know what they're missing! Well, hope you enjoy posting here!
Old 07-01-2004, 08:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Welcome to the Ledge!!!
Old 07-01-2004, 09:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Welcome and enjoy your stay!

Patti
Old 07-01-2004, 09:24 AM
Senior Ledgie

Smile Hi there!

Hi Eileen,
I enjoyed reading your introduction. I, too, climbed aboard the FM bandwagon in 1987. I understand totally where you were coming from with your school story, because it was the same for me!! I was a junior in high school when Tango in the Night came out and I just fell in love with Lindsey (and the rest followed!). And of course, EVERYONE ragged on me for liking the Mac. I worked at a record store at that time, and I always got my revenge by playing that album at LEAST twice a night!!

Your spelling bee story hit home too because in my junior current events class, I did a report on Fleetwood Mac!! I'm sure I still have it somewhere. Come to think of it, I believe I did another report on Fleetwood Mac in my freshman year of college!

Glad you enjoyed the Scranton show....even though it came to you at the expense of my Pittsburgh show!

Enjoy the Ledge! Visiting this site has been a part of my daily ritual for the past 7 years!

~Carlene
Old 07-01-2004, 10:21 AM
Ledgie

Hi Eileen and welcome!...I'm mostly a lurker these days but enjoyed your post...nothing like being able to share the FM joy and bliss...I sent you a PM about the Scranton show...and thought I'd say hi here, too...enjoy

Torri
Old 07-01-2004, 10:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Welcome!

Paula
Old 07-01-2004, 10:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi, Eileen! Welcome to the Ledge.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:32 AM
Junior Ledgie

Hi Eileen,

Welcome !!

Old 07-01-2004, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi, Eileen, and welcome! I'm waiting for you to tell us a bit about yourself. (Just kidding - Most posters intoducing themselves tell us next to nothing; it's good to read so much about another true fan.) See you around.

- Jake
Old 07-01-2004, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Hi, Eileen - I liked your story cause i am the same age as you and it's like we went to the same school I also loved your big long story. Hope you have a good time, I always do!!
Amber

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 07-01-2004, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, Eileen - what an incredible story!! I've been told that my first favorite song was "Little Lies" when I was 2 and from there it's just grown. I first got into the Mac in 1997 when my best friend, who is blind, got interested in them and was watching the Behind the Music... and was constantly getting Stevie and Lindsey confused, so I had to get interested so I could tell her who was who and what was going on. It was great. It's amazing to see how she and I have grown over the past few years - we were just two 6th graders in choir and now it seems like we've come full circle and we're still friends but going our own way (I couldn't help myself). The one thing I wish I could have shared with her is going to a Mac concert... she never went to any of the SYW shows and I went to three.

Forgive me for being wordy, but I always feel like if someone introduces themselves it feels pretty good to learn about others when they respond... I'm 18, just graduated high school, and I live for music. I've been playing piano since I was 8 and when I was 12 I sort of arbitrarily decided that that was one thing I could do with my life, so why not? And over the past six years it's grown from a decision into a passion into a calling and every time I see this band, it just reaffirms my dream, that this is what I was born to do. This past year I got very interested in Brett Tuggle, the keyboardist for the Mac, mainly because he was someone I could identify with and everything just took off from there. There are some people who know my music, but I bet you there are more people who know me as 'the Brett girl'... including him. I came so close to meeting him at the Houston concert and then I found out that the band had left moments earlier... but just to know I was that close, that he heard about me and wanted to meet me.. you get the idea.

Long-winded nice to meet you!

a bell is not a bell until you ring it.
a song is not a song until you sing it.
love wasn't put in your heart to stay.
love isn't love until you give it away.

when life hands you lemons, stick them down your bra and make your boobs bigger
Old 07-01-2004, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogirl04
I've been told that my first favorite song was "Little Lies" when I was 2 and from there it's just grown.
Don't you love that? My mom told me that I always used to sing GDW when I was 3. I think it's true, too, because even though i never knew who did that song till i was like, 18, It was always in my head when i would sing songs on the way to school in highschool.
Amber

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 07-01-2004, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking Hi!

Welcome to the Ledge!! Like Jake said, be less vague next time.