Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-06-2004, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking The Tina Turner Appreciation Thread

Following Johnny's suggestion, here it is.

My fave album is...a tie between three.

Private Dancer (the deluxe edition, because the bonus songs are just as good as the album songs)

Break Every Rule (the title cut is a classic!)

What's Love Got To Do With It Soundtrack (she re-recorded all of the songs and they are better than ever!!!)

My favorite songs:

Proud Mary (WLGTDWI Soundtrack version)
Break Every Rule
Steel Claw
Steamy Windows
Hot Legs
When the Heartache Is Over
24/7
Absolutely Nothing's Changed
What's Love...
Private Dancer
We Don't Need Another Hero
I Might Have Been Queen
GIRLS (!!!!!!!)

...and I'll stop before I list every song.

Yeah, Johnny, her last album was a bit of a let-down, but it sure had some gems. When the Heartache Is Over is amazing, as are Whatever You Need, Absolutely Nothing's Changed, and 24/7.

I love the bridge in Absolutely Nothing's Changed where her and her chrous sing "I'm down but I ain't out." LUV IT!

And if anyone doubts that she is the Queen of Rock, get her Live In Europe album.

Old 02-06-2004, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Wow, dissention... we actually have some of the same favorite songs.
In fact, every one of the songs you listed would be on my list too (Isn't "Girls" just out of this world? She totally blew Bowie's original out of the water.)

I'd also add:

One Of The Living
When I Was Young
Rock And Roll Widow
Whatever You Need
I'll Be Thunder
Something Beautiful Remains (the Joe Urban Remix)
Two People
Typical Male
What You Get Is What You See (Ok, ok, I love the 'Break Every Rule' album, period)
A Change Is Gonna Come
Total Control

And gosh, just so many others.

I realized recently though that I'm missing a lot of Tina's recent soundtrack appearances, and some of her non-LP b-sides.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: The Tina Turner Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
And if anyone doubts that she is the Queen of Rock, get her Live In Europe album.
Oh, and the reason I'd give Stevie the "Queen of Rock" title over Tina, is that Stevie writes 99% of her own material.
I think that gives her the edge.

But I don't see why Tina can't be "The Queen," and Stevie "The Queen of Rock."
But then, maybe "High Priestess of Rock" is more suited to Stevie anyway.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
Total Control
I just think it is SO cool that Tina covered a song from The Motels' first album.

Long live Tina Turner!!

Long live Martha Davis & the Motels!!
Old 02-06-2004, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
I just think it is SO cool that Tina covered a song from The Motels' first album.
And what a perfect song for Tina to cover, too. The song is very complimentary to Tina's style, and vice versa.

Maybe she should have Martha Davis write for her next album!
Old 02-06-2004, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD

Long live Tina Turner!!

Long live Martha Davis & the Motels!!
I LOOOOOVE The Motels.....ChiliD...fill me in...what ever happened to them?? That's a band for VH1 to find and reunite

Tina Tuner is in a class all her own. Anyone see Oprah's birthday special?? She rocked
Old 02-06-2004, 07:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

You know another thing that I find amazing about Tina Turner?
My grandmother (who's 86) thinks she's the coolest woman in the universe.
Even had me order one of Tina's concert DVDs from Amazon.com for her recently ('Wildest Dreams' - one I didn't already have).

She also called me last week, all excited to tell me that Tina was on Oprah's birthday special.

Now, if that's not far-reaching appeal, I don't know what is!
Old 02-06-2004, 07:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wow, dissention... we actually have some of the same favorite songs.

In fact, every one of the songs you listed would be on my list too (Isn't "Girls" just out of this world? She totally blew Bowie's original out of the water.)

I realized recently though that I'm missing a lot of Tina's recent soundtrack appearances, and some of her non-LP b-sides.
Alas, we finally agree on something!

Her version of "Girls" kicks David Bowie's ASS. And I'm a huge Bowie fan!

Do you have the remastered Private Dancer? "Rock N Roll Widow" is fantastic.

Check out WinMX for some rare songs! I kinda dig her new song with Phil Collins, but I am desperately seeking the song she just did with Lulu.

Old 02-06-2004, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You know another thing that I find amazing about Tina Turner?
My grandmother (who's 86) thinks she's the coolest woman in the universe.
Even had me order one of Tina's concert DVDs from Amazon.com for her recently ('Wildest Dreams' - one I didn't already have).

She also called me last week, all excited to tell me that Tina was on Oprah's birthday special.

Now, if that's not far-reaching appeal, I don't know what is!

That's so cute!

My mother told me awhile back that if she could look as good as Tina when she's 65, she'd sell her soul to the highest bidder.

And Wildest Dreams is my fave Tina concert. She rocks that dress that she's wearing.

Also, Tina is going to be on the big screen sometime this year. She's supposed to play some Egyptian Queen in a new movie. I can't remember the name.

And we should just quit arguing over the Queen title and just giver her the rights to the name DIVA!

And do you remember when Tina and Elton were going to tour together but called it quits when they got into a catfight?

Old 02-06-2004, 07:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Do you have the remastered Private Dancer? "Rock N Roll Widow" is fantastic.

Check out WinMX for some rare songs! I kinda dig her new song with Phil Collins, but I am desperately seeking the song she just did with Lulu.
I've had "Rock And Roll Widow" on the b-side of "What's Love Got To Do With It" since the song first came out... so I was THRILLED they included it on the remastered 'Private Dancer.'
As much as I love the warmth of vinyl, it's nice to listen to a song without surface noise and "pops." Especially when it's one of your favorites.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I never seem to have any luck with WinMX... no matter how many times I've tried to download stuff there.
I always seem to get stuck in a queue, and I never get the song I'm looking for.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I've had "Rock And Roll Widow" on the b-side of "What's Love Got To Do With It" since the song first came out... so I was THRILLED they included it on the remastered 'Private Dancer.'
As much as I love the warmth of vinyl, it's nice to listen to a song without surface noise and "pops." Especially when it's one of your favorites.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I never seem to have any luck with WinMX... no matter how many times I've tried to download stuff there.
I always seem to get stuck in a queue, and I never get the song I'm looking for.
Oddly enough, I have tons of Tina singles, but not the What's Love single.

And I know what you mean about WinMX, it can be maddening sometimes.

Old 02-06-2004, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Wildest Dreams is my fave Tina concert. She rocks that dress that she's wearing.
For some strange reason, I never got the 'Wildest Dreams Tour' DVD when it was released.
It was probably due to low funds, as usual! *lol*

I have 'One Last Time - Live' and 'Celebrate' though, and I have 'Rio 88' on VHS (used to have some earlier ones on Beta. *sobs*).

Anyway, my grandmother wanted one she hasn't seen, so I ordered 'Wildest Dreams' for her... when we watched it, I was BLOWN AWAY.
I wish I had known sooner how fantastic that DVD was... I never would have waited so long to get it.

By the way, am I the only one who thinks Tina's performances are always that much more super-charged when Tim Capello is on stage with her?
Quote:
Tina is going to be on the big screen sometime this year. She's supposed to play some Egyptian Queen in a new movie. I can't remember the name.
I heard about that too, but I can't remember the title either.

Should be great... she stole 'Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.'
Quote:
And we should just quit arguing over the Queen title and just giver her the rights to the name DIVA!

And do you remember when Tina and Elton were going to tour together but called it quits when they got into a catfight?
It's a deal! "Queen Diva," it is!

I've always wondered exactly what went down between her and Elton.
I've seen clips of his 'Tantrums & Tiaras' documentary, and I found him to be completely insufferable.
There's pampered and spoiled, and then there's just downright nasty... and Elton was just downright nasty.
I don't care how much humanitarian work you do, there's no reason to act like that.

Anyway... back to Tina!
Old 02-06-2004, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
For some strange reason, I never got the 'Wildest Dreams Tour' DVD when it was released.
It was probably due to low funds, as usual! *lol*

I have 'One Last Time - Live' and 'Celebrate' though, and I have 'Rio 88' on VHS (used to have some earlier ones on Beta. *sobs*).

Anyway, my grandmother wanted one she hasn't seen, so I ordered 'Wildest Dreams' for her... when we watched it, I was BLOWN AWAY.
I wish I had known sooner how fantastic that DVD was... I never would have waited so long to get it.

I've always wondered exactly what went down between her and Elton.
I've seen clips of his 'Tantrums & Tiaras' documentary, and I found him to be completely insufferable.
There's pampered and spoiled, and then there's just downright nasty... and Elton was just downright nasty.
I don't care how much humanitarian work you do, there's no reason to act like that.

Anyway... back to Tina!
Have you seen the Private Dancer tour video? Too short, but it's fantastic. It needs the DVD treatment, my copy is worn out!

As for the Elton/Tina feud, this is what I know:

They were supposed to perform together at a concert in Vegas for New Years in '99, but they got into an argument during rehearsals. She didn't like the way he was playing piano for Proud Mary, so she went over and showed him how she wanted it. Well, apparently, NO ONE tells Elton how to play piano and he called her an "old bitch."

Her respsonse?

"Thanks, bitch."

FANTASTIC comeback!

Old 02-06-2004, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am a big fan of the Tina. From way back. I can't possibly list all my favorite songs. And Johnny, if Tim Capello is the hunky sax player, I am with you on that one.

One of my favorite things to do is listen to an old Ike and Tina greatest hits cassette I have - there is this fantastic song called "Baby Get It On" that rocks my socks off. When I was in college, my roommate and I used to blare this song on the stereo when the other one had a hangover and then do a ridiculous dance. Humor me, it was the mid 80's and I had Bon Jovi hair to rival Tina. We used to have the "Ikette" Proud Mary moves memorized.

I have two great Tina stories for now.

In those nutty college days, I think in 1987, I entered a contest in The Oregonian to win tickets to Tina and Fleetwood Mac. I sent in my entry form, never thought a thing about it. What happens ? I won the damned contest. A pair of front row seats to each show ! Kick ass, to say the least. Tina wore me out - and I was 20.

The other funny thing was on the Private Dancer tour. It must have been 1985 - just out of high school. Me and my girlfriend (I said it was AGES ago) and another pal were Tina fanatics. First we slept out at the Portland Coliseum and got front row seats - back in the day when such things were possible. Then, we cooked up this idea to make four enormous banners to hang on the freeway overpasses, as we knew her bus was coming down I-5 from Seattle. So, we went back to the high school, had our friend the tech director in the theatre help us with 4' x 20' sheets of muslin, and a projector, and we made the banners. Then we painted them. With her friggin face on all of them. I can't remember what they all said...Watch Out Portland...Here Comes Tina...I am racking my brain...I think the other was something like Straight Out Of Nutbush, and the last one we took in the concert - We Love You Annie Mae. I can't believe I remember that. Haven't thought about it in almost twenty years. How, you may wonder, did we DO THIS ? Our friend was not only a Tech Director and Scenic Painter, but a serious drug dealer. We stayed up all night doing coke and painting, then went and hung the damned banners on the overpasses. Before dawn. Ah, my reckless youth !
Old 02-06-2004, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heh...

I used to be obsessed with Tina when I was in high school. I still really like her, but I'm not fanatical about her the way I used to be. I don't like the way her solo stuff has steadily veered away from R&B/soul (and I mean the Otis Redding/Etta James variety) since Private Dancer (which couldn't really be called "soul," but it had its moments).

I regret that I never saw her live...

Favorites:

First, my favorite favorite song of hers is "River Deep Mountain High."

Private Dancer will always be her best solo album (yes, I've got the remastered version ) - the standouts for me on that one are probably the most R&B-oriented: Let's Stay Together, I Can't Stand the Rain, Help (I can't listen to the Beatles' version at all anymore...this one is just amazing to me), What's Love Got to Do With It, and Private Dancer.

For some reason, I've always really liked her Foreign Affair album, too. She tears it up on some of the songs, like Be Tender With Me Baby and Undercover Agent for the Blues.

I think her voice lost some of its strength after that. I noticed it on Wildest Dreams, which I kind of enjoyed, even though this is where she started with the Euro-trash dance/pop thing, which I really can't stand. Some of the songs are great, though. I don't have this album anymore, but I remember that I loved her version of Missing You.

The stuff she did with Ike is classic. There's a CD I have called Bold Soul Sister - The Best of the Blue Thumb Recordings, that has probably the most blues-oriented stuff Tina ever did. I know she supposedly hates this kind of music, but I just don't think her solo stuff has as much power as the songs on this CD. So, when I want to listen to Tina now, this is usually what I reach for. She does some great covers of songs by Elmore James, Bobby Bland, and Lowell Fulson. Amazing.