Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2007

http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/12175839

Rock Hall of Fame names nominees for `07

10/31/2006 3:04 PM, AP
David Bauder

Van Halen is trying to make their biggest "jump" yet — into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, with potential 2007 classmates such as R.E.M., Chic, and Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five.

All are among the nine nominees for enshrinement in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland. A panel of 500 industry experts will select five to be inducted at the annual ceremony, to be held March 12 in New York City.

To be eligible, artists must have issued a first single or album at least 25 years prior to nomination.

Van Halen and R.E.M. came from opposite sides of the 1980s rock 'n' roll spectrum. Led by cartoonish frontman David Lee Roth and fleet-fingered guitarist Eddie Van Halen, the California quartet was a hard rock favorite with songs like "Jump" and "Hot for Teacher." R.E.M., meanwhile, was the quintessential indie rock band until breaking through to mass success in the early 1990s.

Grandmaster Flash led the most innovative act in early hip-hop, and the song "The Message" was like a letter from urban America.

Chic, a funk group led by Bernard Edwards and Nile Rodgers, were one of the few acts to dominate the disco era and emerge with their reputation intact through songs such as the wedding band favorite "Good Times."

Other nominees include Patti Smith, the punk rock poet who recently presided over the closing of New York's legendary CBGB nightclub; British invader the Dave Clark Five; Phil Spector favorites the Ronettes; soul singer Joe Tex; and the Stooges, early home of Iggy Pop.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation I was watching...

VH1 Classic the other night, and I have to agree with Eddie Trunk: "the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame is a joke-Not enough rock is being elected into the Hall".

Last edited by estranged4life; 11-01-2006 at 09:35 AM..
Old 11-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I wonder if Dave will play with VH or not....
Old 11-01-2006, 10:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Some are legit. VH, REM, and the Stooges are at the top of my list (especially liking that the Stooges might be inducted). With VH, they didn't say anything about Sammy.

What I want to know is how the Guess Who, or at least Randy Bachman, isn't in yet. Lots of big hits, and in Bachman's case with TWO bands. The Guess Who/Bachman are certainly more popular (AND relevant) than the Dave Clark Five.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-01-2006, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life View Post
VH1 Classic the other night, and I have to agree with Eddie Trunk: "the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame is a joke-Not enough rock is being elected into the Hall".
i saw this too & agree 100%!!!~
Old 11-01-2006, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Depends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan8472 View Post
I wonder if Dave will play with VH or not....
on what you believe:

MelodicRock.com has issued the following report:

"No more teasing. Never tease where Van Halen is concerned... I have information from a highly placed source that Van Halen will likely tour in 2007 with David Lee Roth as frontman.

Negotiations are currently underway to re-unite Van Halen with their original frontman for a tour in 2007 that will take in America and possibly other territories. While nothing in the world of Van Halen is set until the band walk out on stage, I can confirm that negotiations between all parties have been underway for some time, trying to put together a big 2007 reunion tour.

One would presume the tour will feature classic VH era songs only. What I do not yet know is whether this plan includes exiled bass player Michael Anthony. Perhaps Wolfgang (Edward's son) will play bass? I'm told these questions will be answered shortly.

Van Halen last toured in 2004 with Sammy Hagar, but the tour ended on a sour note and Hagar has not talked to Eddie Van Halen since.

What I also know is that there will be no new Van Halen release to go with the tour, such as The Best Of Both World's in 2004. There is no plans for a new compilation or a new studio album - just the tour.

More details when available."
Old 11-01-2006, 01:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It would be very cool to have Michael Stipe AND Patti Smith inducted together...

rbs
Old 11-01-2006, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Didn't Eddie VH recently tell Howard Stern that he's open to talks with either Hagar or Roth, but not Michael Anthony? I though Wolfgang was mentioned as a possible replacement in that interview as well.

Whatever. I think they deserve to get into the R&R HOF. They were amazing in their day. But I honestly have no desire to see them actively touring.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I would totally see Van Halen if Dave came back. Just to say that I saw them, basically. Because I love their older stuff. I could just never stand Sammy Hagar.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The fact that Rush has never made it into the Crock & Blow Hall of Shame is enough to prove what a joke it indeed is (Not to mention that Madonna would have made it in before Queen- Sorry, nuthing against Madonna, But Queen shouldve been a first ballot member not later on in the recent past years.)

As for Van Halen, I prefer the DLR era music...But a possible DLR era reunion tour will either be a money-grab or a complete disaster (Without bassist Michael Anthony it wouldnt be a true reunion would it?)

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."

Last edited by estranged4life; 11-01-2006 at 07:08 PM..
Old 11-01-2006, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The fact that Rush has never made it into the Crock & Blow Hall of Shame is enough to prove what a joke it indeed is (Not to mention that Madonna made it in before Queen- Sorry, nuthing against Madonna, But Queen shouldve been a first ballot member.)
I have to agree with all of this.

Quote:
As for Van Halen, I prefer the DLR era music...But a possible DLR era reunion tour will either be a money-grab or a complete disaster (Without bassist Michael Anthony it wouldnt be a true reunion would it?)
This is true. But the casual fans that would be populating those shows might not know the difference.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
(Not to mention that Madonna made it in before Queen- Sorry, nuthing against Madonna, But Queen shouldve been a first ballot member

I didn't think Madonna was in, I thought it was a 25 year thing. I think madonna has only been around for 22-23 years.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Yer right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Rumours77 View Post
I didn't think Madonna was in, I thought it was a 25 year thing. I think madonna has only been around for 22-23 years.
but I remember hearing on TV that she was to elected a few years back ahead of Queen.

Oh well, I looked at the list of those inducted into the Hall and I still think it is a big-joke (It took until 2004 to induct George Harrison? Need I say more about how much a joke it is?)

Last edited by estranged4life; 11-01-2006 at 04:31 PM..
Old 11-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I still think it is a big-joke.

i mean, they inducted FM but not bob welch. wtf?
Old 11-01-2006, 06:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There are many bands they keep ignoring and who are these "panel of experts"? They don't know their ass from their elbow & seem to keep passing on Queen, Journey, Stevie Nicks (doesn't she now quailfy as a solo artist). I haven't watched it since they inducted the Mac & the Eagles.

"Live, Eat and Breathe Music...."

Unleashed 2009