Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Dog shopping

SO I've decided I want to get a Daschsund. Pet shops are off limits. I dont really care about papers so much cause I know that jacks the price up pretty good. What should I do?
Old 07-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You can look in the paper and see if anyone is selling one, but since they're purebreds, it's pretty much going to cost you. Here is a link to a Dachshund rescue page. You could look into that. Keep in mind that this breed is NOT a solitary dog at all. They suffer from severe separation anxiety. My husband had one years ago. You cannot leave this breed home alone all day while you're at work.

Forgot the link- here you go: http://dachshund-rescue.org/index.php
Old 07-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
You cannot leave this breed home alone all day while you're at work.
that is very, very true. i recently dogsat for a very busy family that had a dachshund, and the dog was miserable. he was left alone for hours and hours every day while everyone was at school/work and he was extremely anxious & angry. sad.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Senior Ledgie

Yes, dachsunds definitely are not solitary dogs. Anyone I know that works has always bought two so that they can keep each other company.

I also would highly recommend a rescue service.

Good Luck!
Old 07-05-2007, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Maybe I could get a cat to keep him company? Is that a good idea. I guess I would be willing to pay for a purebred. I would want some assurances that its healthy. I've talked to some purebred services, and I guess I could afford about 600 or so
Old 07-05-2007, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

it would probably serve you to read up on them a good bit. go meet a couple and talk to people who already own them. in my experience, an inexperienced dog owner is a bad thing. be sure that you are willing and able to meet the needs of the particular breed you are looking at.

start here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dachsund
Old 07-05-2007, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

How are you going to go on Mac Lindsey road trips with a puppy?

My boss has a Daschund and they had to get another dog to keep her company. She was soo lonely at home all day and suffered doggie panic attacks when left alone too long. I would rescue a dog...there are soo many in need it is such a shame to buy one. I was at a Fourth of July parade yesterday and they had ten or fifteen doggies from the shelter there. Walking in the parade with "Please Adopt Me" jackets on. It was so upsetting but hopefully some of them got new homes yesterday. Shelter dogs are all vet checked, neutered or spayed and have all their shots. Less expensive and you are doing a good deed!

"She has an exquisite femininity"......Lindsey
Old 07-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You should care very much about a dog's pedigree. If you buy one from a puppy mill, it likely will cost you thousands over the years. That is because they breed with no care for disease, lineage, etc. Thus, puppy mill dogs are far more vulnerable to medical problems. So, you get what you pay for. Moreover, supporting a puppyu mill is a horrible thing in that if they have no business, they cannot force their unethical bredding habits on these poor creatures who have no choice in the matter. Puppy mill breeders should be jailed IMO.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 07-05-2007, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
You should care very much about a dog's pedigree. If you buy one from a puppy mill, it likely will cost you thousands over the years. That is because they breed with no care for disease, lineage, etc. Thus, puppy mill dogs are far more vulnerable to medical problems. So, you get what you pay for. Moreover, supporting a puppyu mill is a horrible thing in that if they have no business, they cannot force their unethical bredding habits on these poor creatures who have no choice in the matter. Puppy mill breeders should be jailed IMO.
Well, I certainly would never buy on from a puppy mill./ I was referring more to the fact that would be purebred just not with the papers. LOL my Aunt and uncle are the top Samoyed breeders in Minnesota. They'd mever let me get away with buying a puppy from a mill. But you are right. I guess I'll fork out the extra cash. I want a companion that will last a long time. I do have some experience with Dachsunds. Derek, my ex boyfriend and I had a dachsund and he was what made me want one wnhen we broke up. I just loved that litle ****! I was thinking about getting a cat for companionshp casue I love cats so much too
Old 07-05-2007, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

well, the prob with not having papers is that you have no way of knowing that the dog didn't come from a mill. i say go for a rescue
Old 07-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Boy there really is alot to think about when youre getting a pet. But I guess thats a good thing. You want to do the right thing
Old 07-05-2007, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
well, the prob with not having papers is that you have no way of knowing that the dog didn't come from a mill. i say go for a rescue
You are correct - anyone can register with the AKC and it is not really indicative of quality. And, the rescue people are very, very strict about the people adopting the pets - far more selective than most people buying a pet usually are. So, I say absolutely go for a rescue dog WAY before a puppy mill dog.

The thing is if you are not going to go the rescue route, then you have to do research. Doing that research will almost always save you time and heartache in the long wrong.

save the cheerleader - save the world

Last edited by strandinthewind; 07-05-2007 at 03:58 PM..
Old 07-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The thing is I've just decided that I would rather have a pet at this point in my life. I mean I've been around animals all my life, so I know how to care for them. Plus, a relationship with another guy just isnt what I want right now. I think I'm actually much happier being single.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
You are correct. And, the rescue people are very, very strict about the people adopting the pets - far more selective than most people buying a pet usually are. So, I say absolutely go for a rescue dog WAY before a puppy mill dog.

The thing is if you are not going to go the rescue route, then you have to do research. Doing that research will almost always save you time and heartache in the long wrong.
yes, not every breed is the correct fit for every person. you have to do the research and make sure your personality/habits mesh with that breed's. and absolutely make sure you get papers. i used to work next door to a sham pet shop that sold purebred puppies without papers - those people were awful
Old 07-05-2007, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
The thing is I've just decided that I would rather have a pet at this point in my life. I mean I've been around animals all my life, so I know how to care for them. Plus, a relationship with another guy just isnt what I want right now. I think I'm actually much happier being single.
well that's cool, just make sure you do your research & make sure you're ready to make a decade+ long commitment (financial & otherwise) to the dog.