User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default Looking for setlist or pics from Philly 1978

Hello all.

I was thinking about this show recently and would love to find a setlist and photos from the Fleetwood Mac concert on a Sunday afternoon in July 1978 at the long-gone JFK Stadium in in Philadelphia, PA.

I was only 13 at the time and this was the first concert I ever attended. My 2 older brothers were going with their girl friends but someone had to back out at the last minute so on the morning of the concert they woke me up and asked if I wanted to go to a concert.

I was like "sure. Whos playing? LOL

My brothers were 21 and 18 at the time so I was pretty darn familiar with the Fleetwood Mac albums of the mid to late 70s. I often heard them being played very loud whenever mom and dad were not at home. Haha!

It was an all day event. Sanford-Townsend Band was the opening act. I remember nothing about their set but I am familair with their one hit now. Bob Welch then took the stage. I do remember hearing him play "Ebony Eyes" that day. No surprise there

Steve Miller Band came out after Bob Welch and blew the place up. I knew alot of their songs even though I was very young.

Then Fleetwood Mac came out
I remember hearing lots of songs off the Rumours album of course. Also I remember they did "Sisters of the Moon" for the encore. No one was familair with that song yet as "Tusk" was still a year from being released but the crowd went nuts over it.

I also remember hearing Steely Dan played over the PA system between acts. Hearing songs off of Aja still remind me of that day.

It was sensory overload for some dumb sheltered 13 year old from the sticks of New Jersey. I saw a freak walking around with a raccoon hanging out on his shoulder and I remember smelling this weird sweet smelling smoke everywhere I went. Funny thing is I had never been around it before but as soon as I smelled it, I knew EXACTLY what it was

Not surprisinigly I felt very funny by the time we were leaving as I had been breathing in that funny smelling smoke for most of the day.

Sorry for rambling but can anyone help a guy out?

Setlist or photos. July 1978. JFK in Philadelphia

Thanx

Kevin in South Carolina
Old 10-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Considering how few changes they make in their set (after the first few shows of a tour, or leg of a tour), here's the set list from a concert within a few days of the 1978 Philadelphia show...probably the same as the show you saw, or VERY, VERY close to it: (I've seen sets that the main set is identical but the encores may be different, such as, "Second Hand News" between "Sisters Of The Moon" & "Songbird")

1.Monday Morning
2.The Chain
3.Dreams
4.Oh Well
5.Rhiannon
6.Oh Daddy
7.Never Going Back Again
8.Landslide
9.Say You Love Me
10.Gold Dust Woman
11.You Make Loving Fun
12.I'm So Afraid
13.World Turning
14.Go Your Own Way
15.Blue Letter
16.Sisters Of The Moon
17.Songbird

Last edited by chiliD; 10-09-2012 at 01:37 PM..
Old 10-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Junior Ledgie

Very interesting. I like them alot but I dont go deep enough to have known that about their setlists. Thanks so much! I do remember hearing some of those songs so I bet you are right about this lsit being pretty close to what I heard
I sort of made a half assed attempt at finding the setlist online but I think back then things just didnt get saved like they do now so I kept hitting dead ends.

I do remember seeing pics of the show in the Philly paper so I know there were local photographers there but those pics are probably buried in some basement archive these days.

Thanks again : )
Old 10-09-2012, 11:42 PM
joe

Didn't Rolling Stone run a concert review of this? I believe the title was "Fleetwood clicks despite Nicks." My high school had all the old copies of RS back in the mid 80's and I use to flip through quite a bunch. I just never forgot the title of the review all these years later. I believe there were pics of Stevie, Mick, and Steve Miller. The review was rather scathing toward Stevie saying she didn't really put a whole lot of effort into her performance until the "new" song, SOTM - which would explain your recollection of the crowd going nuts over it.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Kevin, thanks for sharing your memory! Love hearing about SOTM performed on the Rumours tour. According to fmlegacy.com they played July 29 & 30 in Philly and on the 30th, Lindsey collapsed before the show and had a spinal tap, the next few shows were cancelled.

Billboard Concert Review:
(JFK Stadium, July 29, 1978)
published in Billboard Magazine, August 12, 1978
(by Robert Ford)

Nearly 65,000 fans braved threatening skies July 29 to get a look at this wildly successful recording act at the hulking, antiquated football stadium best known as the home of the Army-Navy game. Unlike the Rolling Stones date held here earlier in the summer, the afternoon passed without major incident as the crowd was good-natured & orderly.

The band hit the stage about 4:20 & immediately brought the throng to its feet as it opened with some of its stronger up-tempo material.

Instrumentally the band was in rare form throughout, with drummer Mick Fleetwood giving a particularly strong performance. Fleetwood combines the creativity & taste of a veteran jazz drummer with the power & flair of a rocker. His solid time-keeping & spirited fills are one of the group's greatest yet most appreciated [sic] assets.

Unfortunately vocalist Stevie Nicks was in poor form as she seemed unable to get her voice to do the things it does on record. This was particularly disappointing to her fans since Nicks is the voice featured on some of the group's biggest hits such as 'Rhiannon' & 'Dreams.'

For the most part, the band's 17-song, 100-minute set was well paced with the group spreading its strongest material such as 'Listen to the Wind Blow,' 'Oh Daddy,' 'Say You Love Me' & 'You Make Loving Fun' throughout the show.

The set did get tedious toward the end, with 'You Can Go Your Own Way' being the only song in the last six that held the crowd's attention.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:25 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default Sisters...

I was also at that concert... 17 years old.
During one of the songs Christine got up and walked off the stage until the song was over. When she came back she said something like – we made so many mistakes on that song! – perhaps it was DREAMS, I can't remember after so many years. But I do remember Stevie looking at her when she left the stage! (See was singing, so it must have been DREAMS)
I also recall SISTERS... I didn't know what song it was, but I know Stevie put EVERYTHING into this performance. It was brilliant. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THIS CONCERT ON VIDEO, but I don't believe it was filmed. Does anyone know?
Old 10-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was there.... My first concert. I was so excited to hear Sisters of the Moon.I was ready to hear something new from the band. I have had Rumours for over a year by then. Sisters was her strongest performance from the show. I remember when Lindsey came out with the new short hair cut it took many of us back.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Billboard Concert Review:
(JFK Stadium, July 29, 1978)
published in Billboard Magazine, August 12, 1978
(by Robert Ford)

Nearly 65,000 fans braved threatening skies July 29 to get a look at this wildly successful recording act at the hulking, antiquated football stadium best known as the home of the Army-Navy game. Unlike the Rolling Stones date held here earlier in the summer, the afternoon passed without major incident as the crowd was good-natured & orderly.

The band hit the stage about 4:20 & immediately brought the throng to its feet as it opened with some of its stronger up-tempo material.

Instrumentally the band was in rare form throughout, with drummer Mick Fleetwood giving a particularly strong performance. Fleetwood combines the creativity & taste of a veteran jazz drummer with the power & flair of a rocker. His solid time-keeping & spirited fills are one of the group's greatest yet most appreciated [sic] assets.

Unfortunately vocalist Stevie Nicks was in poor form as she seemed unable to get her voice to do the things it does on record. This was particularly disappointing to her fans since Nicks is the voice featured on some of the group's biggest hits such as 'Rhiannon' & 'Dreams.'

For the most part, the band's 17-song, 100-minute set was well paced with the group spreading its strongest material such as 'Listen to the Wind Blow,' 'Oh Daddy,' 'Say You Love Me' & 'You Make Loving Fun' throughout the show.

The set did get tedious toward the end, with 'You Can Go Your Own Way' being the only song in the last six that held the crowd's attention.
Love it when reviewers do their research & get the song titles correct. (or, not)
Old 10-19-2012, 08:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There are quite a lot of pics from this show floating around (mostly of Stevie) here are some links to some of the pics on my blog:
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/post/32400333574#notes
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/pos...m-at-the#notes
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/post/14928106382#notes
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/post/11107774017#notes
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/post/10523163384#notes
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/post/6485572858#notes
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/post/3944024883#notes
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/pos...-30-1978#notes
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/pos...adium-in#notes

“Remember, in the grand scheme of things, what we do for a living is not very important. After all, we’re not curing cancer here.” - John McVie
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/
Old 10-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Are you sure those are from JFK Stadium? Those are almost identical to photos I have of the final show of the "Rumours" tour in Baton Rouge, LA.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Are you sure those are from JFK Stadium? Those are almost identical to photos I have of the final show of the "Rumours" tour in Baton Rouge, LA.
Yes, very sure. And in late august 1978 Stevie's hair was permed again.

“Remember, in the grand scheme of things, what we do for a living is not very important. After all, we’re not curing cancer here.” - John McVie
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/
Old 10-22-2012, 10:18 AM
Ledgie

Thumbs up

My first concert as well. The short haircut completly surprised me. I was far away from the stage expecting to see the afro. For a moment I thought they had substitued someone else for him!

QUOTE=BLY;1065816]I was there.... My first concert. I was so excited to hear Sisters of the Moon.I was ready to hear something new from the band. I have had Rumours for over a year by then. Sisters was her strongest performance from the show. I remember when Lindsey came out with the new short hair cut it took many of us back.[/QUOTE]
Old 10-22-2012, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say You Will View Post
My first concert as well. The short haircut completly surprised me. I was far away from the stage expecting to see the afro. For a moment I thought they had substitued someone else for him!

I wonder if I would even have recognized him. I can just see myself in the audience trying to figure out if it was the same person. It probably would have taken me an hour . By the time I happened upon FM, he already looked like that. I heard their music on the radio, but I didn't know what they looked like and I didn't know about the big hair until after I went back and got the older records.

Michele
Old 10-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Ledgie

Smile

Actually, I was disappointed. I preferred the wild hair. I guess it made me feel more rebellious in those days.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe View Post
Didn't Rolling Stone run a concert review of this? I believe the title was "Fleetwood clicks despite Nicks." My high school had all the old copies of RS back in the mid 80's and I use to flip through quite a bunch. I just never forgot the title of the review all these years later. I believe there were pics of Stevie, Mick, and Steve Miller. The review was rather scathing toward Stevie saying she didn't really put a whole lot of effort into her performance until the "new" song, SOTM - which would explain your recollection of the crowd going nuts over it.
Yes. Bob Welch and, I think, The Little River Band opened. Christine got a rave but the reviewer pretty much destroyed Stevie's performance. Said she sang so poorly during Dreams the rhythm section were thrown off.