The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default New Songs/Is the band no longer with Warner/Reprise?

I think I remember reading that Fleetwood Mac is technically without a record deal right now.
I'm wondering if that frees them up to release the new songs their own way, digitally - from the band website.
If so, I'm guessing that's why we haven't seen them yet, haven't heard about a title for the EP and why I haven't been able to find an official release date anywhere!

In the old days I would always call the record company to find out release dates (music nerd alert).

I love that they can go indie with these new songs, but I'm really wanting some info, as I know everyone else is too.
Maybe they'll use the company that released Lindsey's live album??
Old 04-11-2013, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

They are, indeed, currently without a label. The Best Of was their last release for the label, then they did a one up for SAY YOU WILL (we all know how well THAT turned out!)
Going indie can be a double-edged sword....you have more power and more control, and all the money goes into your pocket, but there's very little advertising/marketing done, thus causing many an album to tank.
There are exceptions to this rule.....Aimee Mann has been releasing her own stuff for over a decade to continued success, while Bonnie Raitt just had one of the biggest albums of her career ~ not to mention a Grammy winner! ~ with her first release on her own label, her first album in seven years!
The indie route takes work and effort, and to be honest, I just can't see the Mac doing that....I think they like the idea of it being done for them. I just don't think there are many labels out there willing to sign the band UNLESS they come up with a KILLER album!
Old 04-11-2013, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

so - all this leads me to wonder:

How the hell do we find out where and when the new music is coming out?
Old 04-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Senior Ledgie

If that's the case, is it even possible to release the EP on Itunes?
Old 04-11-2013, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fannymac View Post
They are, indeed, currently without a label. The Best Of was their last release for the label, then they did a one up for SAY YOU WILL (we all know how well THAT turned out!)
Going indie can be a double-edged sword....you have more power and more control, and all the money goes into your pocket, but there's very little advertising/marketing done, thus causing many an album to tank.
There are exceptions to this rule.....Aimee Mann has been releasing her own stuff for over a decade to continued success, while Bonnie Raitt just had one of the biggest albums of her career ~ not to mention a Grammy winner! ~ with her first release on her own label, her first album in seven years!
The indie route takes work and effort, and to be honest, I just can't see the Mac doing that....I think they like the idea of it being done for them. I just don't think there are many labels out there willing to sign the band UNLESS they come up with a KILLER album!
I say they go in and make an artistic album on their own dime with either a great producer like Ethan Johns, T-Bone Burnett, Rick Rubin or Mitchell Fromme OR bring back Richard Dashut/Ken Caillet. Since TOP 40 airplay will likely be impossible at their age, make a groundbreaking/experimental album in the vein of Johnny Cash's "The Man Comes Around" (produced by Rick Rubin)..... I think there would be plenty of major labels interested in buying something like this.....It could be marketed from a completely different angle. We're talking ALBUM OF THE YEAR GRAMMY NOMINATIONS AGAIN. This would make them artistically relevant again.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
so - all this leads me to wonder:

How the hell do we find out where and when the new music is coming out?
It's a secret.

Michele
Old 04-11-2013, 06:19 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanthompson View Post
If that's the case, is it even possible to release the EP on Itunes?
Yes, there are many digital music distributors such as Tunecore and CD Baby that can arrange simultaneous distribution through just about any digital outlet.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Dave Stewart should produce the next Fleetwood Mac album.
I thought he did a great job with In Your Dreams (even though I really hate Moonlight and Cheaper Than Free).
Old 04-11-2013, 06:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
I say they go in and make an artistic album on their own dime with either a great producer like Ethan Johns, T-Bone Burnett, Rick Rubin or Mitchell Fromme OR bring back Richard Dashut/Ken Caillet. Since TOP 40 airplay will likely be impossible at their age, make a groundbreaking/experimental album in the vein of Johnny Cash's "The Man Comes Around" (produced by Rick Rubin)..... I think there would be plenty of major labels interested in buying something like this.....It could be marketed from a completely different angle. We're talking ALBUM OF THE YEAR GRAMMY NOMINATIONS AGAIN. This would make them artistically relevant again.

TOTALLY agree.....I've been wanting either Stevie or the band to work with Rick Rubin for years! And after seeing what T-Bone did with Lisa Marie Presley, I also think that combination would be VERY cool! And I think Matt Serletic (Matchbox Twenty) could be a smart move as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
I think Dave Stewart should produce the next Fleetwood Mac album.
I thought he did a great job with In Your Dreams (even though I really hate Moonlight and Cheaper Than Free).
Couldn't disagree with you more....I think he's the LAST person that should produce Fleetwood Mac! While the production on IYD was nice enough, I think the band is just too....much....for him. They need someone with A LOT more depth!
Old 04-11-2013, 08:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
you do know that Mitchell Fromm did produce those 8 songs they already recorded, right?

i really hope they don't go with any major labels. they should just release on Lindsey's label and hire a great marketing team (did you see Bowie's campaign? now that worked!) and some new management that actually realizes it's been 21st century for a while now, instead of whoever are the clowns they currently use.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-11-2013, 09:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i like mitchell froom a lot, but i'm not sure that he's right for their sound.
i worry that his sound is too dated now. worked well for so many artists in the 80's and 90's, but i would like to see them work with someone a little more adventurous/current.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've been saying its time to move on and find a new label for years and try something different.

Other bands try other music styles.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016