The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default What If Fleetwood Mac Based The Next Tour....

...around the new album?

And I mean the WHOLE album, not just three or four tracks, but the full disc in it's entirity!
They could toss in 5-8 older songs as well.

Just playing devil's advocate here!
Old 10-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think it would be a great idea. And someone will probably say 'casual' fans wouldn't like it...well, the casual fans can stay home! More room for us!
Old 10-23-2009, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
I think it would be a great idea. And someone will probably say 'casual' fans wouldn't like it...well, the casual fans can stay home! More room for us!
I like your thinking

I'd definitely like to see that. There are so many great songs on albums that don't get the live treatment, but that would really work. The latter half of SYW is full of them.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:02 PM
Senior Ledgie

If they could do that, and tour smaller venues.....I think it would be amazing. I would be there in a heartbeat.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Old 10-23-2009, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If they were willing to play smaller venues (they're not) then it would be fantastic. If they're played most of a new album to an audience of casual fans then that would just mean there would be lots of people bored and talking through most of the set and annoying the people who did want to hear the songs.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Senior Ledgie

True. I just wish they would have an attitude adjustment, and start playing to their real fans. Just once. Tour smaller venues, do different songs, and have a good time. Relax, guys. It doesn't mean you're any less of a star if you play at smaller venues.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Old 10-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I somewhat agree.. I think they should definitely play smaller venues, or at least try something different on their next tour - if they do one. They've got to do something different - I don't think they could do this same sort of show as the last two tours unless drastic changes are made to the set or the way it's played.

Not sure if playing a full "new album" would be the way to go, but if they stripped down their show and got down to the basics of the music - it could be part electric part acoustic or a combo of both in a unplugged kind of way. They could still play the hits, albeit retooled, along with new material - but stripped down for a smaller venue. Playing smaller venues would create huge demand as well... selling out multiple nights in cities.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:11 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
I somewhat agree.. I think they should definitely play smaller venues, or at least try something different on their next tour - if they do one. They've got to do something different - I don't think they could do this same sort of show as the last two tours unless drastic changes are made to the set or the way it's played.

Not sure if playing a full "new album" would be the way to go, but if they stripped down their show and got down to the basics of the music - it could be part electric part acoustic or a combo of both in a unplugged kind of way. They could still play the hits, albeit retooled, along with new material - but stripped down for a smaller venue. Playing smaller venues would create huge demand as well... selling out multiple nights in cities.
Would be a great idea, but they'd have to get a whole arena tour canceled (Kelly Clarkson style) to be humble enough to entertain such a thing.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Both Eric Clapton and Neil Young have done exactly this before. I remember my parents went to see Clapton 15 years ago when he did his From The Cradle album and tour, and the concert was ONLY the songs from that album. For those who haven't heard it before, it's what I'd affectionately call 'old black man blues' . Imagine going to a concert expecting to hear Layla and Lay Down Sally, and getting that instead. But the thing was, EVERYONE loved it! My parents came home and immediately bought the album, and have worn it out ever since. They just don't buy new music either, so the concert must have REALLY impressed them. They still talk about that concert to this day 15 years later, and they've seen pretty much every major act out there. Fleetwood Mac really could do this. I seriously doubt they will... but crazier things have happened.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
I like your thinking

I'd definitely like to see that. There are so many great songs on albums that don't get the live treatment, but that would really work. The latter half of SYW is full of them.

like you mean from track 10 onwards...barring track 12
AMEN!!!!!

but we'll swap that for TD and all will be right with the world

i would RATHER see a new tour based soley on a new album
Ban Rhiannon. Stand Back. Dreams...i'm sure others want other songs banned
Old 10-24-2009, 08:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel86 View Post

like you mean from track 10 onwards...barring track 12
AMEN!!!!!

but we'll swap that for TD and all will be right with the world

i would RATHER see a new tour based soley on a new album
Ban Rhiannon. Stand Back. Dreams...i'm sure others want other songs banned
That actually brings up the opposite point, for me: what are the ESSENTIAL songs that can't be banned?

Off the top of my head, only "The Chain" and "Go Your Own Way" are not expendable. Probably "Landslide" too cuz that's the sing-along song. "Dreams" and "Rhiannon" just aren't performed in the ideal manner, so they can go without me complaining. I personally love to see "Gypsy" in concert, but it's not ESSENTIAL.

So that leaves "The Chain," "Go Your Own Way," "Landslide," and let's say "Don't Stop" as the four songs around which the Mac can build a setlist.

I'd say they can afford to be more adventurous.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post

So that leaves "The Chain," "Go Your Own Way," "Landslide," and let's say "Don't Stop" as the four songs around which the Mac can build a setlist.

God, Don't Stop is the one I'd drop immediately! I know it's there becauset such a singalong audience fave but it could so go! I'd rather it had been dropped from this tour actually so that iftherwere ever issues with running too long Silver Springs wouldn't have been cut! Of course that doesn't account for the times it was because of Stevie's voice but, oh well...

Yeah, be more adventurous and do some album tracks or less successful singles... Angel, Everybody Finds Out, Miranda, Thrown Down (essential!), The Ledge, I Don't Wanna Know...
Old 10-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
That actually brings up the opposite point, for me: what are the ESSENTIAL songs that can't be banned?

Off the top of my head, only "The Chain" and "Go Your Own Way" are not expendable. Probably "Landslide" too cuz that's the sing-along song. "Dreams" and "Rhiannon" just aren't performed in the ideal manner, so they can go without me complaining. I personally love to see "Gypsy" in concert, but it's not ESSENTIAL.

I hate saying this (again) but I truly think "Go Your Own Way" needs to be cut for good. Lindsey has some real trouble with the vocal.....and has for awhile.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodfather View Post
God, Don't Stop is the one I'd drop immediately! I know it's there becauset such a singalong audience fave but it could so go!
I guess my point is that those are the four songs that people are paying to hear. Everything else is expendible.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Rhiannon" can't go. Stevie has the potential to make this amazing still. I really believe that. The ending doesn't have to be high and vocally strenuous to be completely haunting.

They should play a Ledgies only concert. We agree on a tracklist, send it to the band and all fly to one place and see them play. Sigh. I can dream...

My prediction is that they're going to try to do these same big venue tours until the entire thing collapses and they're forced to kinda get a smack of reality. If they play their cards right, they might all be 70 before this happens and decide to stop playing anyway... but I think its likely that we'll get one more relatively big tour and then a bunch of scattered smaller venue shows.

Last edited by daniellaaarisen; 10-24-2009 at 03:23 PM..