The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-25-2004, 07:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Theories on Lindsey's Involvement?

I was listening to BHTM on may way to work and was thinking..........Lindsey was on both Behind the Mask and Time. Any theories? Was the Behind the Mask track just left over guitar work from an earlier session? What about the Time track?
Old 08-25-2004, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY
Lindsey was on both Behind the Mask and Time. Any theories? Was the Behind the Mask track just left over guitar work from an earlier session? What about the Time track?
I think he actually did lay down his track or tracks in the studio with them. One of the tourbooks has a few Polaroids of him with Christine, Mick, Billy, Richard D. & Dennis D. in what might be a recording studio kitchen. I don't imagine his guitar track was left over from an earlier session -- what session would that have been. None comes to mind. Did Billy or Rick talk about a visit to the studio by Lindsey in their Q&As? Quick! Somebody go check!
Old 08-25-2004, 01:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here are some pretty poor scans of the pictures in the Behind The Mask tour book of the session when Lindsey and Richard were there.

Billy / Mick / Lindsey / Christine / Unknown / Richard

Mick / Lindsey / Christine

http://stillgoinginsane.fleetwoodmac-uk.com
Still Going Insane - A Lindsey Buckingham Resource

Last edited by nodmod; 08-25-2004 at 01:03 PM..
Old 08-25-2004, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodmod
Billy / Mick / Lindsey / Christine / Unknown / Richard
Mr. Unknown is Dennis Dunstan.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Mr. Unknown is Dennis Dunstan.
Cheers David

http://stillgoinginsane.fleetwoodmac-uk.com
Still Going Insane - A Lindsey Buckingham Resource
Old 08-25-2004, 04:32 PM

What track on Time did LB have a track on?
Old 08-25-2004, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr
Linds provided additional backing vocals on "Nothing Without You."
Old 08-25-2004, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
Linds provided additional backing vocals on "Nothing Without You."

And, even with headphones, I can't consciously hear him on the track...to where I can say, "oh, yeah, there's Lindsey's voice right there".
Old 08-25-2004, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
And, even with headphones, I can't consciously hear him on the track...to where I can say, "oh, yeah, there's Lindsey's voice right there".
There's a certain timber to the background vocals in the chorus, that I think sounds like him, but it really is so hard to tell.

His vocals aren't nearly as prominent as you'd expect or want them to be.

Also, "Paper Doll" is the only one of the new songs on 'The Chain' that I can hear him singing backing vocals on.
Of course, I can also only hear Stevie on "Heart Of Stone"... so maybe they each only contributed backing vocals to one new song apiece.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The personnel on "Heart Of Stone", from what I've gleaned over the years is only Chris, Mick, John & Billy Burnette. I'll have to play it again to hear the voice you hear as "Stevie". (since I haven't listened to it in a while)

Lindsey's voice on "Nothing Without You" DEFINITELY isn't as prominent as, say, his backgrounds on Tom Petty's "Walls (Circus)".
Old 08-25-2004, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
The personnel on "Heart Of Stone", from what I've gleaned over the years is only Chris, Mick, John & Billy Burnette. I'll have to play it again to hear the voice you hear as "Stevie". (since I haven't listened to it in a while)

Lindsey's voice on "Nothing Without You" DEFINITELY isn't as prominent as, say, his backgrounds on Tom Petty's "Walls (Circus)".
Chris, Mick, John & Billy might be the only musicans on "Heart Of Stone," but Stevie's most definitely singing in the choruses. Give it another listen... I think you'll agree.

I LOVE his backing vocals on "Walls"... I need to pull that song out and revisit it.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:32 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Ive Never Understood This !!!

You know, after reading this thread, which is a very good one by the way. One thing that has always boggled my mind is how Lindsey left the band in 1987 and all, but yet was always in some way or another, helping the band by being involved in the albums following his departure. I mean he was on BTM and from what I know he was on Time. I mean, I figured if he was as determined to be out of that situation as he said he was, why go and particiapte ? it to me shows I guess that he really did love the band and love the people in it.....course I am not sure if that was true back in 1990, but maybe there was a deep love for one another, I mean, why go back ? all be it in little drip moments.....I mean if you take the BTM as a example, Lindsey appears happy in those photos and yet Mick blasts him in his book ? I mean didnt Lindsey read the book ? its amazing HOW BACK THEN how arrogant each member was to each other, Mick writing a bunch of crap and slamming Lindsey and all, and yet he has Lindsey contribute to the album and take a photo with him, all smiling, and yet he slams him in his book, no Stevie any where in the photos, I bet Lindsey might not have been there that day if she was there, I dont know, these people back in those days really have me baffled.

I mean Stevie in those days was not her best and her so called great solo career was really struggling, and yet she had nothing but bad things to say about Lindsey, and Lindsey all though very quiet gives off a impression that he doesnt need the band and that the band was nothing but bad for him, and yet, bless his heart he is my fav !!, all of his riches and fame came from that very band !!! I love his solo albums, but Lord knows those didnt make him wealthy and rich, Mick being the humble one, slams Lindsey and such in his book, and is some sort of great manager, blows all of his money and the only reason he is out there on the road is to make back that money, amazing. I mean, people forget, and I have a very good friend who used to work at Warners from 1980-1992, and he told me some time ago, that the only reason the Tango In The Night Tour did as well as it did was because the album was good ! and becuase it sold well, and he told me that the higher ups at Warners knew the reason was becasue of Lindsey !! I also know for a fact that the band made it that Mick was the highest paid member during that tour !! he said he was bankrupt and that Stevie gave her ok to Warners to allow Mick to be paid more than he usually did, which was great on her part, and I know from this source that Lindsey was very upset that the huge reason they even wanted to do Tango was because of $$$$, he knew Mick was in trouble and that Stevie's album sales were falling. Course maybe that shows how much Lindsey loves Mick, I dont know.

I guess what im saying is I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during those days..........I mean, they all had their parts and moments but yet they always seemed to care for one another in the end, which is so admirable and is why I love all of them as much. I admire Lindsey the most for his guts to walk away and to do things on his own terms as opposed to doing what every one wants him to do. And ill give Stevie her credit, she didnt leave and regardless of sales of her albums, she always gave her fans what they wanted, music music music, might not have been good music all the time but at least she was plugging away. Im glad Lindsey has gotten his due now, sad it only took a few decades but hey !! but why Lindsey even talked to these people after he left, let alone take part in those albums, ill never understand.

David
Old 08-25-2004, 06:43 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A
I dont know, these people back in those days really have me baffled.

you're not taking into account the disparity between the mythology of the relationships and the reality of the relationships
Old 08-25-2004, 06:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

The members of FM pretty much interact with each other as if they are a familial unit. And, like all families, there are times when they can't stand each other, and yet, still have a love and loyalty to each other.

Even in 1987/88, I'd bet that if any one of them had been diagnosed with some deadly disease, they would have all rallied around that member, and put any animosities or fighting aside.

But, as it was, they all had personal demons that they had to work out, and needed some time away from the others and their personal demons, in order to do so. It seems they also all (well, at least Lindsey, Stevie and Mick) had things they wanted to get off of their chest to the press.

Unfortunately, Mick's book was written when there still seemed to be a lot of hurt feelings, and not just a little bitterness, about Lindsey leaving the band.
As Christine has said, "the idea of any one of us leaving, was catastrophic to us."

Had Mick's book been written maybe three or four years later, it might have had a more conciliatory tone towards Lindsey.

And while I was rather put off at the time by Lindsey's references to "that band" and "that group," as if he couldn't even bring himself to speak the name "Fleetwood Mac," I did then, and do now, feel his appearances on both 'Behind The Mask' and 'Time' were very commendable, and a very respectful gesture.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lindsey was on "Paper Doll"? I didnt realize that. I'll have to go back and listen for him.