Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Peter Green Anthology

As a gift for my upcoming retirement working for the MAN, a friend sent away and bought me the 4CD Peter Green Anthology.

On this forum there has been a discussion of the pluses and minuses of it. What I can tell you is that as a package from one who had never heard sufficiently of the breadth of Peter's work this is a good place to start. The Book is great and I can see it was worked on long and hard. Even with questionable choices for songs in different eras, it is more important that Peters music be put out there. My friend who bought me the CD said that he looked again on Amazon and there is a 6 month wait to get another one. HUH?
I guess CD's will be a dying medium from now on. It makes me wish for the days of Vinyl again

PS If you ever put out a 4 CD set yourself, don't place the VDs in that double plastic holder like they did. they don't stay and fall out of the box when you carry it.
PS 2 Was not some of Peter's own artwork going to be represented in the package. I have been unable to locate it if it is there.

doodyhead
Old 04-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
As a gift for my upcoming retirement working for the MAN, a friend sent away and bought me the 4CD Peter Green Anthology.

On this forum there has been a discussion of the pluses and minuses of it. What I can tell you is that as a package from one who had never heard sufficiently of the breadth of Peter's work this is a good place to start. The Book is great and I can see it was worked on long and hard. Even with questionable choices for songs in different eras, it is more important that Peters music be put out there. My friend who bought me the CD said that he looked again on Amazon and there is a 6 month wait to get another one. HUH?
I guess CD's will be a dying medium from now on. It makes me wish for the days of Vinyl again

PS If you ever put out a 4 CD set yourself, don't place the VDs in that double plastic holder like they did. they don't stay and fall out of the box when you carry it.
PS 2 Was not some of Peter's own artwork going to be represented in the package. I have been unable to locate it if it is there.

doodyhead
Question one: many others complained about the double plastic holder, but I must say that at least my 3 copies (I got 2 copies from Salvo + one more from Martin) are ok.

Question two: no, there is no Peter's art work on it, I don't know why.....

I just provided two photos: the "Peter Green Is God" available under the cds trail and one more taken back in October 1997 when SG came to play at the "Milano Blues Festival"; it was just before they did the tour with BB King....do you remember?

Mario.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:33 AM
Junior Ledgie

YEah, I sware the plastic holder is ´. The first copy I bought cama in without disc four, and it was packaged and so on. It is ipossible to have them on that box!

Mario, I love the "Peter Green is God" pict.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aida View Post
YEah, I sware the plastic holder is ´. The first copy I bought cama in without disc four, and it was packaged and so on. It is ipossible to have them on that box!

Mario, I love the "Peter Green is God" pict.
Yes, and that photo has a nice story......it was in 1996, Peter just began his comeback with the SG...I went in Genova with my wife, just for shopping and suddently I saw this write on the wall...so I took my camera and the rest is, as they say history......

Mario.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
Yes, and that photo has a nice story......it was in 1996, Peter just began his comeback with the SG...I went in Genova with my wife, just for shopping and suddently I saw this write on the wall...so I took my camera and the rest is, as they say history......

Mario.
That is truly a wonderful story Mario. I always thought it was "made for the occation" somehow. It must be great for you to have a photograph you have taken on this special box.Very nice!

It is a great box-set. Pure Green. And I also think the booklet is very well written. I still don't see why the songs are put in order the way they are, but as you say doodyhead, "it is more important that peter's music is put out there".

There was a thread about all this a while back:

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/archiv...p/t-38052.html

Somehow I have made peace with the irritating CD-holder. I think the trick is not to force it. But it is still a weird way to place CD's.

Vinyl will be back! Remeber the sensation of looking at the cover while hearing the music? They are much more beautiful with more space for great art-work. Just think how much better Mario's photograph would look!

Ms Moose
Old 04-16-2009, 06:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Moose View Post
That is truly a wonderful story Mario. I always thought it was "made for the occation" somehow. It must be great for you to have a photograph you have taken on this special box.Very nice!

It is a great box-set. Pure Green. And I also think the booklet is very well written. I still don't see why the songs are put in order the way they are, but as you say doodyhead, "it is more important that peter's music is put out there".

There was a thread about all this a while back:

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/archiv...p/t-38052.html

Somehow I have made peace with the irritating CD-holder. I think the trick is not to force it. But it is still a weird way to place CD's.

Vinyl will be back! Remeber the sensation of looking at the cover while hearing the music? They are much more beautiful with more space for great art-work. Just think how much better Mario's photograph would look!

Ms Moose
I agree that it's a wonderful boxset, but as far as songs order is concerned, then I would like to follow a cronological order, that's my point of wiev when I think about an anthologic boxet. I truly believe it's the best way to understand artistic developements, ecc...

Mario.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Moose View Post

Ms Moose
Ever see Velvet Goldmine? Early in the movie Christian Bale's character comes home with a new album, locks himself in his bedroom, puts on the record (nice an loud) and lies on the floor next to the record player staring at the album cover. That moment, for me, completely captured like 2o years of my early life. It just isn't the same with the cd packaging.

I could go on about a lot of album covers that mean a lot to me but would start to sound like an old man.

Still play my old vinyl all the time and even some of the scratches are like old friends.