Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Gold Dust Woman

I just heard this song sung by others on the radio. It's the very first time that I've heard this song sung by anyone else but Stevie. It was sung by Warren Hayes, Railroad Earth & Grace Potter. I kind of liked this version. Has anyone else heard this?

Lee
Old 08-21-2015, 11:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Gigwise

http://www.gigwise.com/photos/102313...-buckley-oasis

11 songs you may not know are actually about drugs

From Blur, Oasis and Metallica to Queens Of The Stone Age, The 1975, Ed Sheeran and more

Fleetwood Mac - 'Gold Dust Woman': Stevie Nicks has always been ambiguous about the meaning behind this 1977 track, taken from the band's classic album Rumours. "I don't really know what 'Gold Dust Woman’ is about. I know there was cocaine there and that I fancied it gold dust, somehow," Stevie told Courtney Love in a SPIN feature in 1997. With lyrics such as "Rock on, gold dust woman/Take your silver spoon/And dig your grave", however we're pretty sure it is about the white stuff.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Gold Dust Woman is a premonition... As a songwriter, I know they exist.. You can write something, and never know the true meaning of it until one day it literally hits you and you realize what it's about. I could give you personal examples, but it doesn't really matter. I think she wrote it without knowing exactly what it was about, but as time went on and she continued on her destructive road (like that?), it became perfectly clear. Every word of that song has a meaning in Stevie's life and has pretty much come true. At the time it was written though, probably late 1975 or early 1976 considering it was recorded in February/March, she couldn't have really known about the descent into hard drug abuse.. She may have seen it, but it couldn't have personally touched her in such a way where she could capture so whole-heartedly the gritty, painful, deadly struggle of addiction.. But somehow she knew..
Old 08-22-2015, 01:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauphineMarie View Post
I think she wrote it without knowing exactly what it was about, but as time went on and she continued on her destructive road (like that?)
Old 08-22-2015, 12:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauphineMarie View Post
I think Gold Dust Woman is a premonition... As a songwriter, I know they exist.. You can write something, and never know the true meaning of it until one day it literally hits you and you realize what it's about.
Stevie says that Rose Garden was a premonition song. Michele