Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default CMA's .... Little Big Town

I'm guessing there are not alot of country fans on the boards but Little Big Town did do that special with Lindsey earlier.... so here goes.

Was curious if anyone saw their performance during the CMA Awards last night? I was at the dress rehearsal and noticed this within the first few notes. That song they did, "Bones", was TOO MUCH of a rip-off of "The Chain"!!
It was almost embarassing! I wanted to turn to others around me and say, "that's The Chain!... if you wanna play The Chain, then play The Chain! ... but don't rip it off, for the love of pete!"
But probably the only people in the house that noticed would have been Bekka and I.

"Lucky in love... Unlucky in opening cereal boxes... -- Lisa Douglas, re: Olivah
Old 11-07-2006, 09:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I didn't see it...But it's hit the press. Here's a blurb I read reviewing the show:

Elsewhere in the show, horizon award nominees Little Big Town all but begged Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham to get their lawyers on the phone by performing "Bones," a jaw-dropping and utterly shameless retread of Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain."
Old 11-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Funny, Little Big Town arent played on the radio stations here all that much, if at all. I have only heard that song once, And I thought it just sucked.

Anyway, I avoided the CMA's like a plague since the performance lineup was wretched at best...Sorry country fans.

Had to hear all about it last night watching the local late news since several Oklahomans won awards (Yet again):

Single of the Year: Brooks & Dunn (Ronnie Dunn is from Tulsa)

Vocal Duo of the Year: Brooks & Dunn

Female Vocalist of the Year: (Carrie Underwood from Checotah)

Horizon winner (bka Best New Artist): Carrie Underwood

Best Vocal Group: Rascal Flatts (Guitarist Joe Don Rooney is from Picher)

Song of the Year: Ronnie Dunn

Interesting the Carrie Underwood (Who recently admitted on a local news interview she hadnt live in Checotah for 4 years before she entered the American Retarded Tonedeaf Idol contest. She couldnt even win local talent shows in Checotah for that matter.) will be playing the OKC Ford Center as the opening act for Brad Paisley this December. She may be big, but I will give her credit for paying her dues by being an opening act instead of a self-absorbed ego-manical 'diva' (I goddamned HATE the term diva).
Old 11-07-2006, 10:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it's a well-known fact that "Bones" sounds similar to "The Chain" - it was even in the iTunes review of their album. However, knowing that LBT and Lindsey have a Crossroads show together, I'm sure all are aware of the similarities and I didn't think it actually sounds like "The Chain" - more reminiscent.

as for the CMA's - the show sucked major ass. Carrie Underwood made a horrible choice of songs to sing and looked rather stupid.

however, as usual, Martina McBride was phe.nomenal! the bitch worked it out in a serious way.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers View Post
I think it's a well-known fact that "Bones" sounds similar to "The Chain" - it was even in the iTunes review of their album. However, knowing that LBT and Lindsey have a Crossroads show together, I'm sure all are aware of the similarities and I didn't think it actually sounds like "The Chain" - more reminiscent.

as for the CMA's - the show sucked major ass. Carrie Underwood made a horrible choice of songs to sing and looked rather stupid.

however, as usual, Martina McBride was phe.nomenal! the bitch worked it out in a serious way.
Yeah, the show sucked the big one. You're right, though -- Martina McBride really tore it up. She has such a huuuuuuuge voice.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Kinda funny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers View Post
but years ago Martina McBride was working as a merchandise vendor for Garth Brooks (Selling T-shirts), but Garth knew she was a struggling singer and gave her a chance to open some of his shows.

The rest is history...
Old 11-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Please tell me someone else noticed Faith Hill's response when Carrie Underwood won Female Vocalist of the Year! She was standing side-stage, and after Carrie's name was announced, she threw her hands out to the side and seemed to yell "WHAT??????" before she flounced away. Speaking of "diva!" It appeared to my husband and me that Faith thought she was a shoo-in. Priceless. If you Tivo'd it, go back and watch!

Maybe she was kidding?

Of course, my response was also WTF??? I wanted Martina to win.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As much as I wish it were true (Faith's sore loser reaction) to Carrie winning Best Female Performer and the Horizon award in the same nite (explain that one). I think Faith was joking.

Side note: WTF was Sheryl Crow doing there? plus she sounded like ****.

They kept saying that Country music is getting back to their roots. Yeah, Sheryl Crow, Bon Jovi and Michelle Branch will do that. What a joke.

Thank god the Dixie Chicks were'nt acknowledged. The whole Country Music Association is a joke.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My cousin and I watched the CMAs. When Little Big Town was on, the first thing my cousin said was, "Listen to that. It sounds just like the Chain!".
They kinda had the whole FM thing going!

Yeah, the CMAs are a joke, and Gaylord is the WORST thing to ever happen to country.
Jon Bon Jovi is country???? Give me a f*cking break!!! And most of the male artists were dressed like they were ready to go clean a sewer!
Gaylord's just trying to pull all the young listeners into country, thus removing the heart of what country's all about.
It's all about marketing now.

BTW- I did sound for The Wreckers(Michelle Branch) two weeks ago. They were good, except nobody came to see them(about 300 peeps-the club lost about $10K on them).
Old 11-07-2006, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Yeah...I saw that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerchic View Post
Side note: WTF was Sheryl Crow doing there? plus she sounded like ****.

They kept saying that Country music is getting back to their roots. Yeah, Sheryl Crow, Bon Jovi and Michelle Branch will do that. What a joke.
Sheryl Crow & Blow-Jovi were there on the local news.

I guess because Blow-Jovi is releasing a "country album" they need to kiss as much ass as humanly allowable by law.

Quote:
Thank god the Dixie Chicks were'nt acknowledged. The whole Country Music Association is a joke.
True, but I dont think the DC's could care less at this point....Dont blame 'em to be honest.

At least Keith Urban won for "Male Vocalist" (Btw, His newest album is out today) so that was the only presentation that made sense (Though KU is still in rehab and wasnt present)
Old 11-07-2006, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerchic View Post
As much as I wish it were true (Faith's sore loser reaction) to Carrie winning Best Female Performer and the Horizon award in the same nite (explain that one). I think Faith was joking.
gawd, look at faith preening for the cam ... i hate her.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I didn't bother to watch, but I would have had I known Martina was going to perform.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree, I think Faith was joking. She's not dumb enough to act that way, knowing full-well that she's on national television. Gretchen even made a "I don't why I'm nominated, I know I'm not gonna win" face when they said her name.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Faith Hill says CMA freakout just a joke

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15605665/

Country star says she meant no disrespect to winner Carrie Underwood

NEW YORK - Faith Hill insists she's no Kanye West.

The country music superstar says she was just joking when cameras showed her screaming "WHAT?" in apparent anger when she lost the female vocalist of the year award to newcomer Carrie Underwood at the Country Music Association Awards ceremony Monday night in Nashville.

"The idea that I would act disrespectful towards a fellow musician is unimaginable to me," Hill said in a statement. "For this to become a focus of attention given the talent gathered is utterly ridiculous. Carrie is a talented and deserving Female Vocalist of The Year."

Media outlets and blogs zeroed in on Hill's reaction after Underwood's name was announced at the ceremony. While other nominees - Sara Evans, Gretchen Wilson, Martina McBride - gave the typical gracious loser smile, Hill, who was standing backstage, turned to the camera and shouted "WHAT?"

Although her voice could not be heard, it was clear from her lips what she said. She looked visibly upset and then it looked as if she was storming off.

However, Hill said it was all a joke, and her manager, Gary Borman, echoed that: "I've worked with Faith for many years now and the idea that she would ever insult or undermine another artist, let alone another human being's success is absolutely preposterous. Those who know her know that she's incapable of such actions," he said in a statement.

"She was being playful while the nominations were being read and playful after."

Underwood also didn't take it seriously, according to her publicist, Jessie Schmidt, who said that Hill spoke to Underwood after the show and that the two were fine.

Underwood, the 2005 "American Idol" champ, has become a triple platinum success since releasing her debut album late last year. Hill is a longtime darling of country music with crossover pop appeal.

This is the second time in less than a week that an awards show loss has resulted in an (apparent) on-camera freakout by a loser. Last week, Kanye West stormed the stage at the MTV Europe Music Awards and interrupted the speech of the winners, claiming his video deserved the honor.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I agree, I think Faith was joking. She's not dumb enough to act that way, knowing full-well that she's on national television. Gretchen even made a "I don't why I'm nominated, I know I'm not gonna win" face when they said her name.
This was all over the news today here in Nashville. Tim even called the hugely popular country morning radio show (98 WSIX) to clear the air on it. To be honest... I think Faith just responded to what we all were thinking.

I'm surprised Sara Evans reaction didn't get any coverage!
She's the one who acted/looked like the prima donna! I also loved the way they pre-announced her performance as "the return of...".

Performances of the night....
Martina (who so totally kicks a$$ and has no competition) and
Vince Gill (call me incredibly off the chain biased!)

I also would love to hear the truth behind WHY Sugarland is now a duo.... since Kristin Hall left. (Atlantans surely know why)

"Lucky in love... Unlucky in opening cereal boxes... -- Lisa Douglas, re: Olivah